Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 04:34 AM

8 posts, read 19,778 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with Milano in Nokomis? Looking at it from a retirement perspective. Any thoughts on the builder, Neal Communities? Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 06:06 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,199,444 times
I'm friends with someon who works there part time as the activities liaison and she keeps trying to talk me into moving there. My husband and I went to look at it and it looks very nice. When you talk to a sales rep, as to see a few issues of their newsletter. It will give you an idea of the activities and the photos will give you an idea of the age of the people who live there. Neal is going to build the same community on the west side of Jacaranda- it will have it's own clubhouse and pool. Don't know the timeframe, but if that's so there will be plenty of time to buy in.

Personally, I'd like to see 3 car garages and slightly larger homes in that development. If you have 2 cars you want to keep them in the garage. The 3rd garage is used for the toys and tools- bicycles, etc, as remember if you come from the North, there are no basements.

Neal is a decent builder. With Lennar, there are few options and the price you see, you pretty much pay. With Neal, the base price is only the starting point. Once they get you into the design center, you'll want to upgrade from the base in just about everything so plan for 10-20% more for "options".

Old 06-09-2017, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the insight!

Old 06-09-2017, 08:24 PM

4,631 posts, read 7,574,237 times
I have not visited Milano but I am very familiar with Neal Communities, having gone thru the building process with several customers over the years. Most of the home models in Milano have been around for a few years, having been built in Lakewood Ranch's Central Park and Eagle Trace, just to the NW of Lakewood Ranch.

As someone already mentioned, with Neal (and most other area builders) the model home prices state they are "starting at," that is because most buyers will spend at least an additional $20k - $35k or more at the design center for what the builder calls upgrades. Keep in mind that what you may call upgrades and what the builder calls upgrades are often different concepts. Things like gutters are upgrades to a builder.

Then there's the lots. Neal typically has at least 3 or 4 "series" of lots with tiered pricing. You'll also pay lot premiums for corner lots, cul de sac lots, lots on water or on a preserve (wooded), sometimes up to $60k or more. Very few lots are actually "base" lots.

So that Liberty 2 home priced at around $250k may end up costing you $330k or more by the time you factor in a premium lot and upgrades.

As to quality of their work, Neal Communities has been an area builder for over 40 years and has won a number of builder awards. My experience has been that overall quality has been satisfactory but small things do sometimes get missed. However, Neal has been pretty decent about follow up customer service.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-11-2017, 08:46 AM

87 posts, read 79,909 times
Neal Communities' prices can vary 30 -40k for the same floor plan in different communities...

I short, I don't believe his houses are anything that special at all. In some cases they are very very over priced esp per square foot.

I've seen this movie before here in SRQ MANA, Bamboo Homes, Todd Johnston, Centex, USHomes, Whitehall etc

Plus, you get to pay Neal extremely high CDD fees LOL I wouldn't touch a development by Neal.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:05 AM

87 posts, read 79,909 times
Neal plays pricing games with "lots" as well - such as suggesting a lot is a "premium lot" because it backs up to a nasty drainage pond, aka a "lake".

Their agents are also discouraged to even PRESENT an offer below what they *think* the house is worth...ditto their so-called "sales manager" scamsters. I've seen all kinds of things missed in their building process and oversight. They are nothing special, not really. They are however very good smoke and mirror "marketers" no doubt.

I ain't impressed - not from their materials or their workmanship, and especially about their alleged VALUE. Their value is in their own heads, just ask them, they'll tell you.

Their "design center" is a pure rip, a joke, a ruse, it's shameful.

Also, the minute you buy in one of their "communities", you'll be competing with the builder forever when you decide to sell (on a newer house with the identical floor plan...lol). Not a good strategic purchase to be put in that position.

Last edited by 63SeaRay; 06-11-2017 at 09:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: