Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 09:25 AM

287 posts, read 300,062 times

Advertisements

In Sarasota county, you must install your fence with the finished side toward adjacent property owners:

"j. Appearance and Condition. The finished side of all walls and fences shall face the street and adjacent properties. All walls and fences shall be maintained in sound condition and good repair no matter when they were constructed."

Florida Fence and Gate (www.floridafenceandgate.com) is installing a fence in my backyard on my neighbor's property and is disregarding local law, despite my bringing this to their attention several times. Calls to inspection aren't working.

http://sarasotacounty.elaws.us/code/...xa_art7_sec7.8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 09:50 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,191 times
I don't know, but I gotta go to goat yoga. See you.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:24 AM

44 posts, read 44,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabotnik View Post
In Sarasota county, you must install your fence with the finished side toward adjacent property owners:

"j. Appearance and Condition. The finished side of all walls and fences shall face the street and adjacent properties. All walls and fences shall be maintained in sound condition and good repair no matter when they were constructed."

Florida Fence and Gate (www.floridafenceandgate.com) is installing a fence in my backyard on my neighbor's property and is disregarding local law, despite my bringing this to their attention several times. Calls to inspection aren't working.

http://sarasotacounty.elaws.us/code/...xa_art7_sec7.8

I would love to go to court and argue that both sides of any fence is the "finished side". The government can't argue which side is "finished" without first defining what "finished is, is" for every damn product used. If they didn't do that, the fence company has already determined that.

That's like saying the side of fencing facing the street or adjacent properties must be the "good side", or the "pretty side". Forget this until you get sued, then start laughing and go to court on this one.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:31 AM

What I'm saying is that BOTH sides are "finished", neither are unfinished or "incomplete"....lol....I'm seriously laughing at such poorly written code.

Which side of a "basketweave" fence is "finished" ?? these people are stupid. Definitions are essential for compliance. Use this phrase in your defense.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:29 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
There is a reason they call a gate Swinging. They swing both ways.
:-)

I actually do have a basketweave fence on my SRQ property...not sure whose fence some of it is (3 neighbors border).

Then the time comes to replace it I will actually speak to the folks who border me. Gubment rules are really there only when someone has the big bucks to translate or apply them.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:10 PM

287 posts, read 300,062 times
Which side looks "finished"?
Attached Thumbnails
Florida Fence and Gate Disregards Law-img_7175-2-.jpg   Florida Fence and Gate Disregards Law-img_7176-2-.jpg  

Old 08-28-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:

"Looks" are not definitions under regulation or code. That fence and most wood and white acrylic panel sides/boards are essentially identical.

Unless the term "finished" is completely defined, "looks" don't matter. You can't codify "looks", you have to codify construction technique, and specific materials and application/results.
What "looks" constitute to one citizen, constitutes something totally different to another citizen

Old 08-28-2017, 05:58 AM

Which is the "finished side" for a rail fence?

Which side is the "finished side" for a chain link fence?

Which side is the "finished side" for a basketweave wood or PVC fence?

Which side is the "finished side" or an EIFS/stucco fence?

I'd love to defend in Court any homeowner in this matter, given the vague imprecise regulation, and I bet I would get a ruling in favor of the homeowner.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
There is a reason they call a gate Swinging. They swing both ways.
:-)

I actually do have a basketweave fence on my SRQ property...not sure whose fence some of it is (3 neighbors border).

Then the time comes to replace it I will actually speak to the folks who border me. Gubment rules are really there only when someone has the big bucks to translate or apply them.
None of the gates at my TX house --4 wrought iron and 1 wood swing in both directions
And my wood gate has the smooth side of construction facing toward street w/bracing on yard side
The wood fence along property line of driveway has "smooth" side facing our house and braced side facing neighbors

Old 08-28-2017, 05:08 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Is that what they are building? Probly not...or you would not have complained
Are you paying for half cost of what parallels your property?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: