Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,351 times

Advertisements

recently my wife accidently allowed one of our little chihuahuas to slip out the front door of the house. The little dog ran into the neighbors front yard where a very large mastiff was chained up. The mastiff tore the little dog in half with one bite. Is there no viscious or dangerous dog statute here ( north port) that requires aggressive dogs to be fenced and chained to protect other domestic animals and humans from attack? Most modern cities have an ordinance against chaining or cabeling dogs. certain breeds or not allowed in some cities. Just sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 09:25 AM

81 posts, read 75,445 times
Sorry for your loss. I don't know what the dog ordinances are in North Port, but you did say that the large dog was chained up in the neighbor's yard. If this wound up in court I would venture to guess that a judge would determine that your wife's accident was responsible for your dog's ultimate fate. But I'm not a lawyer and again I don't know the dog ordinances. Good luck with any pursuit you may consider.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:42 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
Ok so lets establish the facts.

did the mastiff really rip it in 2 and kill it , or just attack it ?

You are asking if there is a law on chaining dogs, then admit the dog was chained.

sadly, whatever the outcome, your dog was off the leash, ventured into a neighbors yard....something then occurred and your dog suffered some sort of injury.

We have a French mastiff and a softer more loving dog you couldn't meet, he often gets barked at, lunged at, etc etc by small rat dogs , yet if he dares to bark back, its "your dog is aggressive". I call BS. The only dog ever to have bitten me was..............a Chihuahua, they can be nasty and aggressive but because they weight 5 ounces they are 'cute'.

give me big dog every time

Old 10-30-2017, 08:39 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,499,932 times
I have mastiffs and they are never off leash - no dog should be off leash - sometimes large dogs think little dogs are prey -

Some of the big birds of prey around here will swoop down and take your little dog - so dont leave them alone in the yard either.

I am so sorry for your dog - and since it was an accident - I cant blame you for being upset -

Old 10-31-2017, 11:11 AM

21 posts, read 36,642 times
this story is fishy, but if another dog trespasses in my yard and my dog is leashed and the trespassing dog gets hurt, too bad

Old 10-31-2017, 02:32 PM

4,613 posts, read 7,531,187 times
Here's the ordinance as it pertains to leash laws:
No person shall cause, permit, or allow a Dog or cat to stray or in any manner to run At Large, unless the Dog or cat is leashed, in any of the following circumstances:
(1) Upon any public street, sidewalk, or other public property unless specifically allowed through other ordinance, resolution, or Board action;
(2) The property of another;
(3) Common areas of condominium, mobile home park, or other aggregate living where the property is held by an owners association or similar entity.

Here's the ordinance regarding vicious dogs:
The Animal Services Director shall make an initial determination that an Animal is a Vicious Animal based upon any of the criteria listed below:
(1) Any Animal which aggressively bites, attacks, endangers or has inflicted severe injury on a human being on public or private property;
(2) Any Animal which has more than once severely injured or killed a Domestic Animal while off the Owner's property;
(3) Any Animal which has been used primarily or in part for the purpose of fighting or is trained for fighting;
(4) Any Animal which, without adequate provocation, chased or approached a person upon the streets, sidewalks, or any public grounds in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, provided that such actions are attested to in a sworn statement by one or more persons and dutifully investigated by the appropriate authority; and
(5) Any Dog defined and certified as a Dangerous Dog under Chapter 767, Florida Statutes.

I hate to see any animal attacked, but it appears the neighbor is not at fault, especially if the neighbor's dog does not have a history of attacks that lead to it being declared a vicious dog.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:54 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,974 times
I'm sorry about your dog. Unfortunately, many dogs are very protective of their property. My large dog is never off his leash or outside without a human (on leash), but he does bark and lunge toward other dogs (and cats and coyotes and birds and squirrels...) that come close to our yard. If he sees those same dogs in their yards, he avoids eye contact and keeps walking. And he wags his tail and wants to play with cats not in our yard. Your dog was the one off leash and the large dog was defending his property. I don't think you really have a case. Again, I'm so sorry that this ended in tragedy for your little pup.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:21 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,358,282 times
I'm so sorry about your little chihuahua. The dog that attacked your dog is not considered vicious in the eyes of the law, but the truth is it is a vicious animal and should be put down. The "protecting its property" defense makes no sense because your tiny dog could not possibly have been a danger and dogs are smart enough to figure things like that out. Your dog just had the bad luck to run into the wrong dog.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:45 PM

599 posts, read 276,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RThiede View Post
this story is fishy, but if another dog trespasses in my yard and my dog is leashed and the trespassing dog gets hurt, too bad
I don't know how fishy the story may be, but I'm with RThiede on this. Sunshine Rules shared the law - but law goes out the window for me unless the mastiff has an aggressive history. Even then, as the owner you are responsible for controlling your dog.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:53 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
I'm so sorry about your little chihuahua. The dog that attacked your dog is not considered vicious in the eyes of the law, but the truth is it is a vicious animal and should be put down. The "protecting its property" defense makes no sense because your tiny dog could not possibly have been a danger and dogs are smart enough to figure things like that out. Your dog just had the bad luck to run into the wrong dog.
nah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: