Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 09:30 AM

25,738 posts, read 12,824,670 times

Advertisements

This article mentions 512 condo units. That's 512 millionaires, 90% from the local area, and just 10% new to the area.

I agree, most of this cash was likely earned elsewhere, but these condo's have to be built by people here. Many of the applicances will come through local appliance dealers, the flooring materials, plumbing fixtures, light fixtures, drywall, HVAC, labor to install it all comes from here. Windows, cement, landscaping, roofing, site prep, paint, painters, realtors, home furnishings, art, cabinetry, security systems, ect..

The trickle down effect of ~$100,000,000 worth of new condo's is extraordinary. Most of that will be earned here, except the profit earned by the developer and general contractor, if they come from out of state. Kolter who built the VUE is from West Palm Beach. I dont know where the rest are from.

This kind of boom happens when consumer confidence is high, manufacturing confidence is high, jobs are plentiful, the stock market just ended a long Bull run, taxes are low, small business confidence is high, all of these economic indicators are at, or near, all time highs, and that translates into wealth building for many people.

This would be a great time to be a Realtor who specializes in downtown SRQ condo's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 11:12 AM

180 posts, read 262,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
This article mentions 512 condo units. That's 512 millionaires, 90% from the local area, and just 10% new to the area.

I agree, most of this cash was likely earned elsewhere, but these condo's have to be built by people here. Many of the applicances will come through local appliance dealers, the flooring materials, plumbing fixtures, light fixtures, drywall, HVAC, labor to install it all comes from here. Windows, cement, landscaping, roofing, site prep, paint, painters, realtors, home furnishings, art, cabinetry, security systems, ect..

The trickle down effect of ~$100,000,000 worth of new condo's is extraordinary. Most of that will be earned here, except the profit earned by the developer and general contractor, if they come from out of state. Kolter who built the VUE is from West Palm Beach. I dont know where the rest are from.

This kind of boom happens when consumer confidence is high, manufacturing confidence is high, jobs are plentiful, the stock market just ended a long Bull run, taxes are low, small business confidence is high, all of these economic indicators are at, or near, all time highs, and that translates into wealth building for many people.

This would be a great time to be a Realtor who specializes in downtown SRQ condo's.
Thanks President Obama.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGoose View Post
Thanks President Obama.
Obama's economic record was a train wreck. He presided over the Great Recession, low labor participation rates, terrible minority employment rates, only President to not achive 2% GDP growth in history. Record # on food stamps. Pathetic failure.

How about that Obamacare web site fail? How embarassing was that? Solyndra?

Added more to the defecit than every Presdient before him COMBINED!

Train wreck.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:39 PM

180 posts, read 262,691 times
Quote:
Obama's economic record was a train wreck. He presided over the Great Recession, low labor participation rates, terrible minority employment rates, only President to not achive 2% GDP growth in history. Record # on food stamps. Pathetic failure.

How about that Obamacare web site fail? How embarassing was that? Solyndra?

Added more to the defecit than every Presdient before him COMBINED!

Train wreck.
Wow, do you want to rewrite the rest of history, too?

Lowest unemployment in 50 yrs local impact?-obama-trump-stock-market.png

Lowest unemployment in 50 yrs local impact?-obama-trump-unemployment-chart.png

Old 12-20-2018, 08:28 AM

How convenient...everything bad that happened during the Great Recession was the prior admin's fault, and now during Boomtime, everything good that happens, was done prior.

We are enjoying some of the best economic results in our lifetimes right now. Corporate America, small business, and wise consumers plowed right through the anti-business "you didn't build that" policies. They overcame everything thrown at them, & survived. That's what they do...they overcome government created adversity.

Now, they/we/I, have shifted from survival mode to thriving mode. Most of us have already taken our winning's off the table (see recent stock market results, we've pulled out, and you're 401K, IRA is still in), so now we're just waiting for the next opp. Some short-sell to prosper off the decline, but I feel that's un-American, so I just wait it out. I only short-sell Chinese stocks

Will these record-setting results last forever?...nope. In a free market economy, gov't has limited control over economic outcomes. They do have an impact, but not nearly as much as the media would have you believe. It's a tug-o-war between government & business, & business usually wins the war. Business responds to every government act by implementing work-arounds...

Example #1...require employers to provide healthcare for workers @ 30+ hrs/wk. Biz work-around...reduce workers' hours to 29hrs/wk. Business wins.

Example #2...$15/hr min wage, bizwork-around...reduce headcount & automate (search Seattle + minimum wage and read). Business wins again.

Example #3...gov't promotes unions, biz work-around... outsource jobs overseas and to anti-union states to contain labor costs...another biz win.

If Gov't didnt implement anti-biz policies, then biz wouldn't need implement work-arounds. Thus, the enemy is not business, it's government who initiates each tug on the rope. Biz is just pulling back on the rope, and American workers/consumers are caught in between.

This is what the current regime is trying to end, but the deep state & media will not concede to the Amercian workers they control & brainwash into thinking its this political party againt that political party. That's how they deflect attn from themselves, & you buy-in hook, line, and sinker.

It's really business & the American worker/consumer vs. government.

For now, let's enjoy the record-setting results we've seen in the past few years, and recognize the real people who DID build that. As a business owner, employer, and top 1 percenter....you are all welcome. Remember this...takers & government do not hire people & add to the GDP...makers like me do. Makers do not add to the national debt...politicians do. Makers on both sides of the political aisle are equally guilty of buying off the politicians, and if you delve into that argument, you've just been played again.

Any replies to this post that focusses upon Red vs. Blue politics, perpetuate the deception. These are the people who are part of the problem, and not part of the solution

Old 12-20-2018, 08:40 AM

333 posts, read 240,375 times
Quote:
How convenient...everything bad that happened during the Great Recession was the prior admin's fault, and now during Boomtime, everything good that happens, was done prior.

We are enjoying some of the best economic results in our lifetimes right now. Corporate America, small business, and wise consumers plowed right through the anti-business "you didn't build that" policies. They overcame everything thrown at them, & survived. That's what they do...they overcome government created adversity.

Now, they/we/I, have shifted from survival mode to thriving mode. Most of us have already taken our winning's off the table (see recent stock market results, we've pulled out, and you're 401K, IRA is still in), so now we're just waiting for the next opp. Some short-sell to prosper off the decline, but I feel that's un-American, so I just wait it out. I only short-sell Chinese stocks

Will these record-setting results last forever?...nope. In a free market economy, gov't has limited control over economic outcomes. They do have an impact, but not nearly as much as the media would have you believe. It's a tug-o-war between government & business, & business usually wins the war. Business responds to every government act by implementing work-arounds...

Example #1...require employers to provide healthcare for workers @ 30+ hrs/wk. Biz work-around...reduce workers' hours to 29hrs/wk. Business wins.

Example #2...$15/hr min wage, bizwork-around...reduce headcount & automate (search Seattle + minimum wage and read). Business wins again.

Example #3...gov't promotes unions, biz work-around... outsource jobs overseas and to anti-union states to contain labor costs...another biz win.

If Gov't didnt implement anti-biz policies, then biz wouldn't need implement work-arounds. Thus, the enemy is not business, it's government who initiates each tug on the rope. Biz is just pulling back on the rope, and American workers/consumers are caught in between.

This is what the current regime is trying to end, but the deep state & media will not concede to the Amercian workers they control & brainwash into thinking its this political party againt that political party. That's how they deflect attn from themselves, & you buy-in hook, line, and sinker.

It's really business & the American worker/consumer vs. government.

For now, let's enjoy the record-setting results we've seen in the past few years, and recognize the real people who DID build that. As a business owner, employer, and top 1 percenter....you are all welcome. Remember this...takers & government do not hire people & add to the GDP...makers like me do. Makers do not add to the national debt...politicians do. Makers on both sides of the political aisle are equally guilty of buying off the politicians, and if you delve into that argument, you've just been played again.

Any replies to this post that focusses upon Red vs. Blue politics, perpetuate the deception. These are the people who are part of the problem, and not part of the solution
Maybe focus on your business instead of writing propaganda on a message board at 10:30 AM.

People say these things because there is data to back it up, as someone is trying to explain to you.

I do agree though that businesses try to work around giving benefits, the current regime is definitely not trying to end this, though. You've also shown an anti business streak in a few of your posts on here which Im trying to square away with what you've said in this post. Are you in favor of policies that depress wages or are you actually in favor of a strong economy?

Im also a business owner, thank you very much.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:30 AM

No need to focus upon my business, it pretty much runs itself, and what little needs to be done, can be easily done by my team. I just gently guide the ship, until I pass it all on...tax free, which is another reason why I chose Florida to retire to...when I tire of working ~1 hr./day that is

Much of the "data to back it up" is propaganda, and is grossly screwed left or right (mostly left) by the media on both sides (who is part of the divide & conquer Red vs. Blue strategy). Let's use a recent WRnative post to illustrate how data can be presented to manipulate opinon...

WR said, and I'm paraphrasing here... "Florida's a leading State in fossil fuel consumption." That is 100% true, but paints an erroneously negative picture of Florida's #1 ranked environmental rating. Florida has the nations 3rd largest population, so of course, its going to consume a lot of fossil fuels. However, if you look at how many fossil fuel each Floridian consumes (per capita), the reality is that Florida is amongst the leading states in consuming the LEAST fossil fuels per resident. Anyone who uses misleading tactics like WR, are doing so purposely, and are being manipulative & diceptive. Believe nothing, verify everything, and when you catch a data manipulator, call them out, then place them on auto-ignore so you don't waste your time reading bad info. Recognize that they are part of the problem, and not part of the solution. If they must resort to deception, then they have prooven their cause cannot be otherwise validated on its own merit. They are admitting defeat.

I'm for whatever wage level the free market economy yields. The more government interference (pulling on the tug-o-war rope), the more business will implement work-arounds, and potentialy hurt American workers. Just read about how the $15/hr minimum wage crushed Seattle's workers. It hurt workers who can least afford to have their hours reduced, or be automated out of a job. They are also least able to afford the inflation caused by wage mandates. If Starbucks has to pay $15/hr instead of $10/hr., they just increase the price of a cup of coffee/tea, and regain the incremental $5. This added labor cost is passed along to the consumer. Corp taxes work precisely the same way. Businessese do NOT wind up paying ANY corp taxes. They pay them to Gov't, then jack up their retail prices to recoup that loss. Every corp tax is really a tax on consumers. This is called "the embedded tax". If you read the Fair Tax book by Boortz, he explains this.

I think all Americans want the same things in the end, but we have different ideas on how to attain them. The Red vs. Blue media driven strategy is what perpetuates all things bad, and keeps us divided, and divided we fall.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:56 AM

333 posts, read 240,375 times
Quote:
No need to focus upon my business, it pretty much runs itself, and what little needs to be done, can be easily done by my team. I just gently guide the ship, until I pass it all on...tax free, which is another reason why I chose Florida to retire to...when I tire of working ~1 hr./day that is

Much of the "data to back it up" is propaganda, and is grossly screwed left or right (mostly left) by the media on both sides (who is part of the divide & conquer Red vs. Blue strategy). Let's use a recent WRnative post to illustrate how data can be presented to manipulate opinon...

WR said, and I'm paraphrasing here... "Florida's a leading State in fossil fuel consumption." That is 100% true, but paints an erroneously negative picture of Florida's #1 ranked environmental rating. Florida has the nations 3rd largest population, so of course, its going to consume a lot of fossil fuels. However, if you look at how many fossil fuel each Floridian consumes (per capita), the reality is that Florida is amongst the leading states in consuming the LEAST fossil fuels per resident. Anyone who uses misleading tactics like WR, are doing so purposely, and are being manipulative & diceptive. Believe nothing, verify everything, and when you catch a data manipulator, call them out, then place them on auto-ignore so you don't waste your time reading bad info. Recognize that they are part of the problem, and not part of the solution. If they must resort to deception, then they have prooven their cause cannot be otherwise validated on its own merit. They are admitting defeat.

I'm for whatever wage level the free market economy yields. The more government interference (pulling on the tug-o-war rope), the more business will implement work-arounds, and potentialy hurt American workers. Just read about how the $15/hr minimum wage crushed Seattle's workers. It hurt workers who can least afford to have their hours reduced, or be automated out of a job. They are also least able to afford the inflation caused by wage mandates. If Starbucks has to pay $15/hr instead of $10/hr., they just increase the price of a cup of coffee/tea, and regain the incremental $5. This added labor cost is passed along to the consumer. Corp taxes work precisely the same way. Businessese do NOT wind up paying ANY corp taxes. They pay them to Gov't, then jack up their retail prices to recoup that loss. Every corp tax is really a tax on consumers. This is called "the embedded tax". If you read the Fair Tax book by Boortz, he explains this.

I think all Americans want the same things in the end, but we have different ideas on how to attain them. The Red vs. Blue media driven strategy is what perpetuates all things bad, and keeps us divided, and divided we fall.
Oh data that doesn't agree with you is "propaganda"? Tell me more, please.

Im actually with you on some of this. Minimum wage set by the market is fine, generally low corporate taxes are fine. I would actually be pro growth and pro economic diversification though, Id push for more competition in our local market. You want Florida to languish in low wage jobs because you got yours.

You're right, we definitely differ on how we wish to achieve certain goals. Your post jumps through topics like Trump jumps through conspiracies. No idea what your general narrative in any of this is.

No idea why you keep bringing up "Florida #1 on the environment". It was one study by like Forbes or something.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:10 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Sometimes the reality doesn't fit the narrative:
https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/art...straight-month

"Florida Consumer Confidence Drops for Fourth Straight Month
The November reading of 95.1 represents the lowest figure for the University of Florida survey in the last 13 months."

The Real Estate Market health tends toward "Neutral" or "Buyers Market".

No, the sky isn't falling but we are certainly not in a boom fueled by low unemployment...Florida is always in need of services and supplies for the vast number of residents and tourists. Other than in the middle of a Recession, there are always going to be more jobs than (qualified) people to do them.

I don't have any personal stake in the economy down here - and, in fact, it's always nice when RE prices moderate so normal people can afford housing. But I'm sure not gonna beat my chest in the face of lowering consumer confidence and and down stock market. My guess is that many Floridians and Tourists are heavily invested and reliant on the markets - due to age, retiree status, etc.

A great economic indicator is to talk to mid-range boat dealers (10K to 100K). If boats are selling it means a lot of middle class and upper middle class folks are feeling fat and happy.

"At least since the last decade, for most Florida workers, average annual wages adjusted for inflation have been stagnant regardless of the economy performance and whether the labor market gained or lost jobs"
(UF Economic and Business Research)

Basically, workers in Florida are doing about the same as they did 12-15 years ago. They haven't gotten a raise. They did get some big haircuts and then things came back to "even"...

The million dollar plus (RE) club is doing OK....money from elsewhere, in general, or from development. Those aren't the "rest of us"...in most cases.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:55 PM

Florida's a service sector economy serving retirees, and tourists. That doesn't call for a highly educated, or a highly compensated workforce. It is what it is. Hoping for something else is fine...go for it. You'll still be hoping 10 years from now though.

Best chance for high wages is to start your own business w/in this sector...preferably not a restaurant. I'd open up a Lanai screening company. Some of those are booked sevaral weeks, and even months, out. More demand than supply.

Working for someone else in Florida is not the way out of the low or middle class. It is what it is, so adapt, or fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area