Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2019, 07:06 AM

20 posts, read 39,388 times

Advertisements

I am looking for any documentation/standards/codes that outline lighting requirements for new residential communities in Palmer Ranch, Sarasota County. We live in a new community and several residents have complained to our HOA board regarding lighting that was provided by the developer (Taylor_Morrison) for our community streets and sidewalks. I was able to locate county lighting requirements that would apply to our amenity center, but it does not address the community sidewalks or streets.

A call to the county zoning office was not productive. No one seemed to know if there were requirements or not. Also tried dealing with FPL but that was a lot of run around.

It would not surprise me if there were not any standards as many communities that I see here do not have sidewalks or lighting.

Does anyone know where I could go to find out?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 08:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
From my experience in Texas---so might not be comparable w/Sarasota area

The developer had to file designs for the community building plan--what they intended to install if granted development permission

So you likely should contact Sarasota City/County planning and zoning for the approved design plans...
If what they listed as their community profile--dimensions of the streets, sidewalks or not, lighting or not--was NOT compliant with building requirements--then there would have to be permission from the city/county to downgrade their standards...
It can happen but it does require usually a vote by planning/zoning board and public hearing

They could have been amended a couple of times going through the process
Most developers usually sell a better design plan than they know they will actually produce at the end--meaning they downgrade what they promised to save money and raise profit profile

Old 01-11-2019, 02:59 PM

20 posts, read 39,388 times
several residents are complaining abut low lighting levels on some sidewalks. Overall I think the lighting is very good, with the exception of a few spots. I don't know if that is something FPL would address on a case by case basis.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:55 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Is your street deeded to and maintained by the county or owned and maintained by the HOA? If by the HOA, your chances of getting lights and sidewalks installed by the county are just about nil.
In almost all sub-divisions, the street is 25 feet wide in a 50 foot right of way. Sidewalks and lights are installed in the right of way owned by the county.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:00 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
^^^^
A house sold recently, across the street and three to the right. In 20 years, there was never lights on. New owner bought the brightest bulbs available, 2 for the garage and a yard light. The lights are not appreciated by the neighbors. I think you can now see the house from the space station.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:42 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesWinter View Post
In most subdivisions, lighting is not a real problem because most developers and builders are requiring post lamps on the lots themselves. Frankly you can have TOO much light aka "light pollution". I mean how many people are out strolling around the subdivision at night? again it depends. Light intrusion from neighbors is a big problem in today's neighborhoods given how close together houses are being built, esp in Florida.
I have one of those new front yard lamp posts, and I hate how I dont have a switch to turn it on or off. I need to hire an electrician to change that. I thought about just removing the bulbs. Certain times of year, bugs are attracted by the light and make a mess of things.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:05 AM

1 posts, read 965 times
It is too bright and caused light pollution to your neighbor, if it is, you can check with your developer if your Street bulb is dimmable or not, some LED lights are dimmable, it can reduce its lumen ouput and bring down the brightness by adjusting the electric current, some are not. Usually, you need to ask for a lighting consultant and get a Street light retrofit plan based on the sidewalk lighting foot candle level standard, they will conduct a Lighting simulation test and choose the right light fixtures in order to achieve the purpose. here is one blog that sums up the area Lighting standard, [url]https://www.chiuer.com/blog/led-pole-lighting-lux-level-standards-requirement.html[/url]
hope it is of some helpful to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: