Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:04 PM

26 posts, read 24,367 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what is going on with Angelo's Ristorante?

We've been there several times with a good friend who just adores the place and is usually a regular customer. He's been out of town a lot lately and we've not been there in some time on our own, so it's easily been 4-5 months since we've been.

As I was driving north on 41 a week or two ago, I noticed a sign in the window that said "under new management". My memory might not be so good - it could have said "under new ownership", but I'm pretty certain it was "new management."

In any case - does anyone know the story? We very much enjoyed our visits there. Angelo (the chef) was enjoyably flamboyant (and the food was excellent); Marco (front of the house) was smoothly professional yet friendly, knowledgeable about wine, and excellent at filleting the Dover sole.

I would be disappointed to know that either of them has left, since they seemed - at least on our half-dozen visits - to have a friendly and well-functioning partnership.

The website is down, so that's not a good sign IMHO, as I believe good management would have the new site built under a slightly different url so they can take down one and upload the other with no down time. At the very least, a front page explaining they are revising the website would be the professional thing to do.

I'm wondering what to expect should we decide to visit next week.

Thanks for any insights (or gossip) you might have to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 08:55 AM

25,900 posts, read 12,926,296 times
Tough business to be in, and so many Italian restaurants around here. I realize it's Venice, but geez, its waaay overdone. Heck, downtown on the main strip, there's 6 I can think of. Plus, most of the rest also service Italian meals. I need to get to that new Greek place just to support something not Italian.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:24 AM

37 posts, read 33,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Tough business to be in, and so many Italian restaurants around here. I realize it's Venice, but geez, its waaay overdone. Heck, downtown on the main strip, there's 6 I can think of. Plus, most of the rest also service Italian meals. I need to get to that new Greek place just to support something not Italian.
Well, don't bother with the newer Greek place at UTC which is near The Nasty Bucket

Old 01-29-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMax View Post
Well, don't bother with the newer Greek place at UTC which is near The Nasty Bucket
I won't, is it gone?

I dont get up to UTC area often. Maybe 6x/yr.

I was referring to the new Greek place indowntown Venice off Miami Street.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:56 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,691,874 times
you should try Apollonia at Cooper Creek for greek food.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:26 PM

66 posts, read 60,345 times
Bodrum in Venice has good flavors.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring09 View Post
Bodrum in Venice has good flavors.
We'll try Bodrums first since its local (in downtown Venice), and we try hard to support our local small busineses. If it's bad, we'll try other the one recommended further away.

We never got a difinitive answer on Angelo's ownership. We'd like to try that one too, but it takes new owners a while to work out the kinks, so if it did change hands, we'll wait a month, or Two.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Sorry, I should have clarified. This restaurant is located in Sarasota, just north of Stickney Point (aka Clark Road).

Maybe we can start a different thread about Greek restaurants?

Old 03-12-2019, 08:05 PM

Went poking about for more info. Had not seen any posts on the Facebook page since I posted here.

I see from Yelp that Angelo's is listed as closed, as of about a week after I posted this thread. (1/30/19)

Continuing my search on Facebook, I see a post from a page called "Restaurants in Sarasota". On 2/15 they posted that Angelo's changed their name to La Fiamma Ristorante Italiano. When someone asked why, the FB page owners replied that probably because Marco is the new owner and Angelo isn't there any more. They linked to the Facebook page for the new restaurant.

New restaurant's page states they opened in January. Same address and phone number as the old place. General Manager listed as Marco Sforza; Augusto Cafiero listed as Culinary Team.

I have no idea what happened to Angelo DiFiore, the prior chef/owner.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:12 PM

Oddly, though they have a new listing in Yelp, on OpenTable the new name still includes the old reviews (and photos) for Angelo's. It could be a database issue, since in addition to the same address they are using the same phone number, but I would think they would want to make a clean break of things and start fresh with their new name. Especially as there are some poor reviews from the latter half of 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area