Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 09:37 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,691,874 times

Advertisements

honda generators are known to be the quietest. Noise is the biggest problem with portables, and there really is no easy way to quiet them. there are many videos on you tube about mufflering them, but the real noise comes from the motor itself, so a muffler doesn't do much. Gas storage is a big issue also.
the rollaround ac's you can buy for around 500 are pretty good, but they do have to be vented
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 09:45 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,522,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmiami View Post
When we lived in South Florida, we were 9 blocks from the ocean. There was no way in he$$ that we were going to wait out a bad storm at home. We shuttered up the house and left.
For my 7 day power outage, I did evacuate and returned shortly after the storm was over and used to generator after returning home. Wanted to get home right away to assess damage and secure the home, as needed.

FYI - I bought my generator after the storm. The big box stores had entire truckloads of generators that head into the hurricane zones as soon as it is safe for the trucks to drive. I was in line at a big box store with several dozen other people, waiting to get a new generator. Tried the small stores first but they were out of generators. At the big box stores, the trucks were already on their way but were stuck in traffic on the interstate because evacuees were returning home, along with convoys of electrical workers in trucks and national guard and all the helpers that head directly into the damaged area the minute the roads become passable.

The plans are in place prior to the storm (for the truckloads of water, truckloads of emergency supplies, truckloads of generators)...and these trucks are prepacked and ready to roll as soon as the roads are passable. It's pretty amazing to return home on the interstate after evacuating, to see all the help coming. For example, a convoy of 30 bucket trucks from electrical companies and 30 trucks full of new electrical poles, and national guard. Dozens of police cars (from other areas, coming to help ) all in line with their lights flashing, driving hundreds of miles on the interstate, heading directly into the damaged area. It's a sight to see. When arriving home after Charley, there were many helicoptors flying all around the damaged areas.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:46 AM

72 posts, read 60,449 times
I have Honda's/Yamaha's and large displacement Robin Subaru's ... I would run from a Harbor Fright generator errr excuse me Harbor Freight , but that might be just me ....

Old 08-20-2019, 04:00 PM

274 posts, read 327,764 times
I'm sure Hondas are wonderful but they are too expensive for us. We have a portable Westinghouse WGen 7500 (max 9500) for our house in PA and plan on getting similar when we relocate to FL. It's only used maybe 2x per year, if that. There is no need to store gas. We usually have good warnings when a storm is approaching. That said, we always have a can of gas for the mower around. That's just part of storm prep, before big snow storms for us as well as hurricanes.

They usually come with wheels and can be rolled into place. You don't want to run it in the garage (carbon monoxide), but it needs a tent over it (umbrella) if it's out in the rain. We had a second fuse box installed with an external house plug for it. The second fuse box allows us to shut down the main box and reroute what we want to run to the generator box. You have to look carefully at all your appliances and calculate the watts, allowing for big zooms when they start up. Make a list. In other words, you can't actually turn on the max watts on the generator. Use about half at a time. You can't run a stove or washer or dryer ever on a portable.

But we can run the oil heater and the well pump in our house and take hot showers. We turn the heat up and run it for a time, then shut it down and run the fridge for a few hours. We have the electric in the den on it so we can turn on the TV and just bring our computers and phones in there. Plugging in a coffee pot or toaster is fine, and we do have a line for the microwave as well. We never run it over night, just shut it down and go to bed. We might lose some food but that is small potatoes. If a storm is coming you go out and buy the storm supplies anyway so you don't have to cook.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:07 AM

113 posts, read 142,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm afraid of spending all that money for the natural gas Generac, and then potentially have the natural gas supply cut off for safety reasons. If its a bad enough storm to do structural damage to homes and commercial buildings nearby, I'm sure the gas company would cut off the natural gas supply.

No they won't, Fire Department shuts off the gas at the home if it is damaged and gas is leaking. Gas company will only shut down the gas if there is a supply line issue. It causes more problems shutting down the entire system as pilot lights a still in use.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:49 PM

88 posts, read 158,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Used a portable gas generator for 7 days of power outage after Irma. Have a backup window AC unit which was just as important as the generator. Mostly lived in one area of the home that had the window AC unit, which was powered by the generator.
Any suggestions on what I should liook for in a window AC unit?

Old 09-09-2019, 11:36 AM

i would recommend a movable (on wheels) unit that you can roll from room to room. it just needs to be vented to the outside via included large hose. very handy, work well and can be had at any big box hardware store and many other places.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:26 PM

137 posts, read 194,630 times
Default Solar generators

Has anyone had any experience with solar generators? No fuel to store, quieter and can actually bring into the house. Of course you need solar panels to recharge.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:30 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,761,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer47 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with solar generators? No fuel to store, quieter and can actually bring into the house. Of course you need solar panels to recharge.
I’ve looked into them since I live in a condo but they just don’t seem to be practical. Getting enough capacity is expensive and my impression is that recharge time just takes too long. Of course, I’m not talking about a short term situation...I’m thinking 7 days.

An inverter generator is probably quiet enough for my condo situation but then I’d probably need 20+ gallons of gas to do what I want to do with it for that period. Both approaches have so many downsides that it has been paralyzing to be honest.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I’ve looked into them since I live in a condo but they just don’t seem to be practical. Getting enough capacity is expensive and my impression is that recharge time just takes too long. Of course, I’m not talking about a short term situation...I’m thinking 7 days.

An inverter generator is probably quiet enough for my condo situation but then I’d probably need 20+ gallons of gas to do what I want to do with it for that period. Both approaches have so many downsides that it has been paralyzing to be honest.
do you have natural gas in your unit? if so, you may be able to run a line to your balcony or yard and use a gas generator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area