Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 02:13 PM

33 posts, read 54,398 times

Advertisements

We have moved a few times over the years and now we are looking to settle down with our two daughters (7 & 4) in FL. We have job opportunities in these areas: Naples, Santa Rosa, Stuart, Orlando, Tampa, etc. Moving from Newport Beach, CA, housing seems so cheap to us in Florida. It's $1200/sq/ft here and you don't get much, then add state taxes and other issues in California, it makes sense to move. I am originally from Louisiana and know about humidity and bugs. We also spent 8 years in New Orleans before moving to CT and CA. We live by the beach and love using the ocean almost daily (surfing/swimming). This is our biggest concern. The taxes and government here are just off their rockers. Our budget is $1.2M and need to be in a safe, family oriented neighborhood for our kids. It's important to us to be able to get to the water though. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 11:58 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingBig11 View Post
We have moved a few times over the years and now we are looking to settle down with our two daughters (7 & 4) in FL. We have job opportunities in these areas: Naples, Santa Rosa, Stuart, Orlando, Tampa, etc. Moving from Newport Beach, CA, housing seems so cheap to us in Florida. It's $1200/sq/ft here and you don't get much, then add state taxes and other issues in California, it makes sense to move. I am originally from Louisiana and know about humidity and bugs. We also spent 8 years in New Orleans before moving to CT and CA. We live by the beach and love using the ocean almost daily (surfing/swimming). This is our biggest concern. The taxes and government here are just off their rockers. Our budget is $1.2M and need to be in a safe, family oriented neighborhood for our kids. It's important to us to be able to get to the water though. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Wow, your budget sure opens up a lot of options for waterfront living. I'd cross out Orlando if you want to be close to the ocean or Gulf. And maybe cross off the Gulf side if you're that into surfing, although apparently there are spots to surf. I personally prefer the West coast of FL, I like the peacefulness of the Gulf and the white sand beaches that can't be beat.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:31 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Hubby and I just moved to SWF from NV but we're at retirement age so schools and activities for kids were not an issue for us but being near water was a must. There are many posters here on CD with school age children who I'm sure will chime in and give you very helpful advice. We chose our area with the help of some great posters and we couldn't be happier. Good Luck!

Old 05-27-2020, 07:19 AM

860 posts, read 321,433 times
Quote:
Downtown Stuart is great. The rest of the area around Stuart is awful. Do not do the Stuart area. Naples is fantastic, but much more geared for older folks. Orlando area has a lot to offer. Tampa/Sarasota area would be my first choice for the best of everything with the least amount of the bad stuff.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:57 AM

118 posts, read 184,658 times
Sarasota could meet your requirements. Check out west of trail (41) and area around the north bridge to Siesta Key and north to around Sarasota Memorial hospital. Great neighborhoods, minutes to the beach, shopping and downtown. The schools have a very good reputation but someone with kids in the schools would be better to comment. Here is an e.g at the upper end of your budget. 1725 Bonita Ct.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:50 PM

51 posts, read 95,508 times
Quote:
Did you settle on an area? We are leaving Carlsbad for the same reasons. I went to Venice this past week and really liked it. Schools are highly rated. I didn't get to interact with many locals, but the ones I did talk to seemed nice.

For the people that live here are there any negatives to living on Venice Island with kids? It seemed great while I was there, but I was only there a week. Any other beach community I should look at that's better than Venice for kids?

Old 11-09-2020, 07:18 PM

13 posts, read 12,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMgyms View Post
Did you settle on an area? We are leaving Carlsbad for the same reasons. I went to Venice this past week and really liked it. Schools are highly rated. I didn't get to interact with many locals, but the ones I did talk to seemed nice.

For the people that live here are there any negatives to living on Venice Island with kids? It seemed great while I was there, but I was only there a week. Any other beach community I should look at that's better than Venice for kids?

Lol small world I moved from Carlsbad two years ago and its funny seeing so many Californians coming I guess word got out how cheap it is here relatively speaking. I live in Venice near the island but I would say if you can afford it that living on the island with kids is the best because beach is so close as well as downtown shopping and sarasota is only half an hour away.

Old 11-10-2020, 04:46 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets89 View Post
Lol small world I moved from Carlsbad two years ago and its funny seeing so many Californians coming I guess word got out how cheap it is here relatively speaking. I live in Venice near the island but I would say if you can afford it that living on the island with kids is the best because beach is so close as well as downtown shopping and sarasota is only half an hour away.
With 3 ice cream shops, and a candy/fudge store!

Old 11-10-2020, 05:01 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
I live on the island and it's paradise. There are many older homes which have character and they appeal to me since I previously lived in strict HOAs where every house looked the same. Some of the older homes are being torn down with new ones replacing them so neighborhoods can have an unusual look to them with large brand new homes next to smaller more interesting looking ones. It's all good to me since the biggest draw is walking out to the beach any time I want to.

Last edited by rfomd129; 11-10-2020 at 06:16 AM..

Old 11-10-2020, 09:21 AM

51 posts, read 95,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets89 View Post
Thats awesome! How do you like it so far compared to Carlsbad? Do you think it's good for kids? Anywhere else you would recommend checking out that you think is better than Venice for kids?

Sorry about all the questions, I just returned from Venice and loved it, but I didn't get a good feeling for how many kids were there or what the people were like because it was raining most of the time. I've narrowed it down to Ponte Vedra Beach and Venice out of the entire state. I love the gulf water, so much more. I just want to make sure its as good for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area