Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 08:17 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,679 times

Advertisements

Venice High sports program is amazing
Look how many State Champs they have won
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 10:39 AM

7 posts, read 5,287 times
I know Venice highschool is great but what does Venice have for middle schoolers? Are there recreation centers and/or sports programs? Also, I know there is a Main Street by the water but are there any other happening areas with restaurants like The Main Street and waterside in Lakewood Ranch? I heard about a west villages downtown Main Street that is coming in the future. Does anyone know anything about that?

Old 11-25-2020, 05:03 AM

276 posts, read 283,065 times
Lakewood Ranch or St Augustine on East Coast would be my pick. Lakewood Ranch is extremely family friendly. I have heard excellent reports about St.Augustine schools. Lakewood Ranch schools are very good too!

Old 11-25-2020, 06:56 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,190,394 times
Sunnydan- Look at Stoneybrook at Venice or Grand Palm. Both are walking distance to the middle school. Elementary is Taylor Ranch- they get a bus and both communities have kids in them, Stoneybrook is smaller 884 homes with lots of kids. Grand Palm is about 2,000 but I've seen the bus stop (elementary) and lots of kids get out.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:52 AM

7 posts, read 5,287 times
Thank you so much. We really like Grand Palm so this is helpful. Does anyone know anything about soccer/basketball options for elementary/middle schoolers in that area? Is it only through the schools or are there club sports?

Old 11-28-2020, 09:53 AM

51 posts, read 95,612 times
Update I have narrowed it down to Venice and Ponte Vedra Beach. I'm taking one more trip for a week before I make my final decision. They both were amazing for different reasons. Absolutely more kids and I saw a ton of sports going on in Ponte Vedra Beach. However I have heard on this forum that it was mostly snobby, keep up with the jones area. I'm not a fan of that, however all the people I met in both areas seemed very nice. I did not get that initial impression from either area.

I personally would love to live on Venice Island, but I did not see any kids there. I'm not sure why is it would be an easy walk or bike ride to the beach. Also the High School and Elementary school are both on the island. They both looked amazing.

I also went by Nokomis K-8 school and it seemed great with a lot of kids.

For the people that live here am I better off with Nokomis or Venice elementary and middle school?

I know there are kids in the neighborhoods by the middle school, but it sure would be nice if there was a pocket of kids closer to the beach. Maybe is just didn't see them on the island. For those that live here are there a lot of kids on the island?

Where are most of the youth sports held?

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

Old 11-28-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mis_align View Post
I would not just focus on FL, have you looked into east of Hilton Head?
I have not. Where would you recommend and why over these areas? Thank you.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:07 AM

469 posts, read 467,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMgyms View Post
I have not. Where would you recommend and why over these areas? Thank you.
That poster has closed his account. He has had numerous usernames but his message is basically the same on all his posts. He doesn't want you or anyone else moving to Florida, especially if you are from the Northeast. In his view Florida is only for the natives. If you follow this particular forum you will eventually encounter him again because he has returned with a couple of brand new usernames. He won't go away but you should ignore him regardless.

Old 11-28-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
That poster has closed his account. He has had numerous usernames but his message is basically the same on all his posts. He doesn't want you or anyone else moving to Florida, especially if you are from the Northeast. In his view Florida is only for the natives. If you follow this particular forum you will eventually encounter him again because he has returned with a couple of brand new usernames. He won't go away but you should ignore him regardless.
Thank you.

Old 11-28-2020, 11:09 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
Hubby and I are in our sixties and live on the island. It's fantastic ... for us. But our kids are on their own so there's no concern for us about kids for them to play with or ratings of the schools. We raised our kids in the southwest in a master-planned community in the best public school district and I have no regrets - it was designed for families and I think it was the best type of place for them to grow up. Now that they're in their thirties, they're still friends with kids from their childhood.

If I was raising kids now in Florida I would definitely go the master-planned community route again. There are no shortages of them in Florida but there are none on the island. A yellow school bus does come down my street and I see kids riding bikes but it doesn't seem like there are very many.

The housing prices here are quite a bit more reasonable than CA as I'm sure you've already noticed. How about getting a home in a nice family oriented master-planned community and a second vacation home on the island? The best of both worlds : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area