Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 07:15 AM

48 posts, read 39,748 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to this area (also considering Tampa - have close friends there too) in a couple of years and we are both retired. We have several friends in the area and have been there a couple of times in the past. We have not looked at homes so don't really know what to expect. A quick search shows a plethora of 55+ communities and it's overwhelming. Anyway, we prefer new construction (or better yet pick out a plan that meets our needs and have the home built). We are looking for at least 3 bedrooms with 2 baths and a 1/2 bath. Our price range is upper $200 to lower 300's. For those that live in the area and are generally familiar with what's available is this just a pipe dream or are there places in the general area that would meet our requirements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 07:27 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
House building costs can be determined for new construction by cost per square ft., land values can not. Generally speaking... 50% of the new construction is in the kitchen and baths and trim (carpet, tile, lighting, landscaping, etc.)

Find a house plan you like, the necessary square footage, then talk to a competent builder. Price will determine square footage. I would plan on $120 a square ft., without land costs.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
House building costs can be determined for new construction by cost per square ft., land values can not. Generally speaking... 50% of the new construction is in the kitchen and baths and trim (carpet, tile, lighting, landscaping, etc.)

Find a house plan you like, the necessary square footage, then talk to a competent builder. Price will determine square footage. I would plan on $120 a square ft., without land costs.
Thanks for the information. We are looking at 55+ communities so will have to find one that offers lots/new construction. We also prefer natural gas so of course that would limit us as well.

Old 12-12-2020, 02:09 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguru View Post
Thanks for the information. We are looking at 55+ communities so will have to find one that offers lots/new construction. We also prefer natural gas so of course that would limit us as well.
Why limit?... you can use/have installed propane in any house. You must be from up north. I don't get that at all, but to each their own. In 55+ communities it's usually spec houses and they do very little custom building. You buy what's available.

Old 12-12-2020, 03:24 PM

4,621 posts, read 7,543,282 times
Quote:
My wife and I are considering moving to this area (also considering Tampa - have close friends there too) in a couple of years and we are both retired. We have several friends in the area and have been there a couple of times in the past. We have not looked at homes so don't really know what to expect. A quick search shows a plethora of 55+ communities and it's overwhelming. Anyway, we prefer new construction (or better yet pick out a plan that meets our needs and have the home built). We are looking for at least 3 bedrooms with 2 baths and a 1/2 bath. Our price range is upper $200 to lower 300's. For those that live in the area and are generally familiar with what's available is this just a pipe dream or are there places in the general area that would meet our requirements?

Regarding info on those FL "55 plus" communities you find online. Most of them are NOT officially 55+ communities, the builders are simply marketing them to an older demographic. The communities have no restrictions on ages. True 55+ communities must meet federal guidelines, including the 80/20 rule. You can find the links to those guidelines here: https://fchr.myflorida.com/fchr55andolderhousing

The state of FL used to require true 55+ communities to register with the state and recertify every 2 years that they were in compliance. That was discontinued in 2020.

As for new construction, 55+ communities in our area, the only one I am aware of in our immediate area is Del Webb in Lakewood Ranch and prices for a 3 bd/2.5 bath home there will run above your targeted price point.

You may have better luck searching in the Sun City area, part way between Sarasota - Bradenton and Tampa.

Old 12-13-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Regarding info on those FL "55 plus" communities you find online. Most of them are NOT officially 55+ communities, the builders are simply marketing them to an older demographic. The communities have no restrictions on ages. True 55+ communities must meet federal guidelines, including the 80/20 rule. You can find the links to those guidelines here: https://fchr.myflorida.com/fchr55andolderhousing

The state of FL used to require true 55+ communities to register with the state and recertify every 2 years that they were in compliance. That was discontinued in 2020.

As for new construction, 55+ communities in our area, the only one I am aware of in our immediate area is Del Webb in Lakewood Ranch and prices for a 3 bd/2.5 bath home there will run above your targeted price point.

You may have better luck searching in the Sun City area, part way between Sarasota - Bradenton and Tampa.
Thank you for this very helpful information!! We are not necessarily tied to any 55+ concept. Just want something where there are mainly retirees (or a majority)...but then again if we find the right area/development we are open. Looking at the Sun City area that would be a very good location for us. Halfway between friends in N. Tampa and the Bradenton area. As I mentioned in a previous post I would like to get natural gas (or propane) service mainly since I do a lot of cooking and prefer to cook on a gas stove. Definitely high on my list of "must haves".

Also, even though many of the developments have standard plans, we would like to be able to pick one that meets our needs and then customize it some. For example, making a bedroom larger, or even extending the size of the garage. Just wonder if any of the developments allow changes like this to be made?

Old 12-14-2020, 07:41 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,797,897 times
For that price range, consider North Port.

Old 12-15-2020, 05:22 AM

32 posts, read 95,864 times
Quote:
If you're looking for a list of Del Webb communities, you can find them here. It includes the neighborhoods that have sold out so you can look for resales.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest limiting your search to only natural gas communities. Often these communities are built in "clusters" and the developers find there is less liability and less overall headache to run natural gas lines.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:40 AM

32 posts, read 28,440 times
There are quite a lot of houses in that price range that are snapped up and totally renovated...roof, wiring/box, water heater, entire kitchen, baths, hvac, driveway, garage doors, flooring etc etc...

Many many investors are snapping up these "older" houses and making them quite "new"...the real estate agents are buying them up too, and won't tell you about them because they themselves are "flipping" this inventory, so don't depend on them, they will "front run" everybody.

Most of these houses are in Manatee County older subdivisions such as in and around sr70/lockwood/33rd/27th north/Tara (to some degree)/Whitfield/Tuttle

Most of these houses are done over much better than a lot of the "new construction" by a longshot, because of use of better newer materials/tech, higher quality materials, more efficient systems, down to the high quality windows available now that weren't even available 5-7 years ago.

You can find these houses but do it on your own - quickly and privately. Some are foreclosures, some are not.

Don't get caught up on "new"....some of those are far far worse, believe me.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHapner View Post
There are quite a lot of houses in that price range that are snapped up and totally renovated...roof, wiring/box, water heater, entire kitchen, baths, hvac, driveway, garage doors, flooring etc etc...

Many many investors are snapping up these "older" houses and making them quite "new"...the real estate agents are buying them up too, and won't tell you about them because they themselves are "flipping" this inventory, so don't depend on them, they will "front run" everybody.

Most of these houses are in Manatee County older subdivisions such as in and around sr70/lockwood/33rd/27th north/Tara (to some degree)/Whitfield/Tuttle

Most of these houses are done over much better than a lot of the "new construction" by a longshot, because of use of better newer materials/tech, higher quality materials, more efficient systems, down to the high quality windows available now that weren't even available 5-7 years ago.

You can find these houses but do it on your own - quickly and privately. Some are foreclosures, some are not.

Don't get caught up on "new"....some of those are far far worse, believe me.
So...you talking about buying a home that needs renovations? Or one that has been renovated and is being resold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area