Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2021, 11:10 AM

24 posts, read 27,881 times

Advertisements

I'm purchasing a Neal home in the Nokomis area and Frontier is the internet provider for the area. I've spoken to Frontier about their service and what equipment they provide. My main question is does anyone have Frontier Fios and if they do, do they use the provided router or their own? Frontier charges $10 a month for their router and usually there are a lot better routers out there that can be used. I'm looking to replace it with a Netgear Orbi mesh system if its compatible.

Another question...the wireless router is located in a access panel in the laundry room in a Neal home. Is that sufficient or do I need to add another router, wireless access point or a mesh wifi system?

And lastly, is Frontier the only provider in the area? I've contacted Xfinity and they said they don't cover that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 12:20 PM

104 posts, read 113,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conedman54 View Post
I'm purchasing a Neal home in the Nokomis area and Frontier is the internet provider for the area. I've spoken to Frontier about their service and what equipment they provide. My main question is does anyone have Frontier Fios and if they do, do they use the provided router or their own? Frontier charges $10 a month for their router and usually there are a lot better routers out there that can be used. I'm looking to replace it with a Netgear Orbi mesh system if its compatible.

Another question...the wireless router is located in a access panel in the laundry room in a Neal home. Is that sufficient or do I need to add another router, wireless access point or a mesh wifi system?

And lastly, is Frontier the only provider in the area? I've contacted Xfinity and they said they don't cover that area.

We are part-timers with a condo in Bradenton and have the Frontier FiberOptic 500/500 internet plan with Frontier. When I am there, I am using my laptop to work quite often. We will also use the TV's for streaming while I am working at the same time and the internet speed and reliability has always been good. We had Xfinity also as an option, but the pricing was a good jump up for similar plans with them.

I was a little skeptical about how good the Frontier service would be (we have AT&T back in Nashville), but we have had it for over a year now and had no issues whatsoever. We have had renters there when we are not there and they have had no complaints either.

I asked about providing my own router instead of paying $10 a month for theirs and they said their plans did not allow for this, at least at the time we set the service up. But, we have been very pleased with the service even with their equipment. Our condo is just under 1,000 SF so we have not had to add any additional routers so can't give you a qualified answer on that if your square footage will be bigger to add additional routers.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:30 PM

118 posts, read 184,829 times
We have Frontier for internet and phone. I bought a mesh system to replace the router and ultimately got a $10 reduction in our monthly bill but it took several phone calls. Initially I was told they would not give credit for the return of the router but I was able to win that argument. We have whatever the base internet speed is and it works fine throughout our 3 level house using the mesh network. Total bill is $53.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:41 PM

30 posts, read 38,856 times
We have Frontier Fios in Sarasota. I kept the modem/gateway and just run my wifi router
off it. Our home did not have any pre- run data cabling. Pretty much all wireless using
extenders at the time. We do typically buy our own modems but our service has been pretty rock
solid that I dont want to mess with it for now. Frontier did have a moca drop behind
my entertainment center so I asked them to install a Moca media converter at that location
so I could run a small network switch that would then provide data for everything
including my Asus router. Now everything is centrally located. The routers these days
are pretty powerful so as long as you put them in the center of your house you can
usually cover two floors decently. You also dont necessary have to buy a mesh system to run
mesh. Just make sure the router you buy or have is mesh capable and you can expand if needed.

Last edited by stvlg1; 03-05-2021 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area