Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 08:47 AM

29 posts, read 39,907 times

Advertisements

When can we expect seasonal residents in Sarasota to return home? I thought things would slow down here by the end of March, but the streets and restaurants are still extremely busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 05:43 PM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calixto View Post
When can we expect seasonal residents in Sarasota to return home? I thought things would slow down here by the end of March, but the streets and restaurants are still extremely busy.
Covid-19 restrictions up north have changed the entire migration pattern for snowbirds. Northerners would rather be here than there, so they linger here longer than normal. But, that is only one driver of the lingering crowds.

There's also the work from home trend going on that allows more Northerners to remain here and work from their temp homes in FLA rather than having to return home.

Then, you have the mass exodus of Northerners who are retiring earlier than planned, and fleeing high living costs and taxes up North, and are moving here permanently.

There are multiple factors creating this perfect storm of Northerners lingering longer than usual.

I am noticing easing of traffic, beach goers, and restaurant patrons, but its tailing off much more gradually than normal. Typically by now, its mostly crickets chirping.

I have no idea if it will return to normal next year, or not. I'm guessing it will normalize somewhat, but gradually over the next 2 years, or so.

Runaway inflation will cool it all off a lot. The gov't stats lag the marketplace, but when the real time inflation stats get reported, consumer sentiment will swing downward.

Inflation is the next massive megatrend that will change the way we all live. Many Americans just don't know it yet because they rely upon the media to tell them what is really happening. Inflation is maginified here in Florida due to increased demand driven by the aforementioned circumstances.

The Summer heat will melt away some of the hangers on, so don't freak out just yet.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:09 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
They're not leaving. They're staying.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:34 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Covid-19 restrictions up north have changed the entire migration pattern for snowbirds. Northerners would rather be here than there, so they linger here longer than normal. But, that is only one driver of the lingering crowds.

There's also the work from home trend going on that allows more Northerners to remain here and work from their temp homes in FLA rather than having to return home.

Then, you have the mass exodus of Northerners who are retiring earlier than planned, and fleeing high living costs and taxes up North, and are moving here permanently.

There are multiple factors creating this perfect storm of Northerners lingering longer than usual.

I am noticing easing of traffic, beach goers, and restaurant patrons, but its tailing off much more gradually than normal. Typically by now, its mostly crickets chirping.

I have no idea if it will return to normal next year, or not. I'm guessing it will normalize somewhat, but gradually over the next 2 years, or so.

Runaway inflation will cool it all off a lot. The gov't stats lag the marketplace, but when the real time inflation stats get reported, consumer sentiment will swing downward.

Inflation is the next massive megatrend that will change the way we all live. Many Americans just don't know it yet because they rely upon the media to tell them what is really happening. Inflation is maginified here in Florida due to increased demand driven by the aforementioned circumstances.

The Summer heat will melt away some of the hangers on, so don't freak out just yet.
Excellent observations Beach and I believe you're right.

Old 05-02-2021, 10:29 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:

Also, what happens if we have a bad hurricane season and FL sees a cat4 landfall in urban areas or multiple cat3s? With the price of lumber and building materials how would that translate to the economy?

Like if FL has a large cat4 or cat5 mow over SEFL and Tampa?

Old 05-03-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
They're not leaving. They're staying.
Yes, more are staying now more than ever. These are the good 'ole days, so savor every moment.

10 years from now, many of us will not want to live here anymore. It will be a lot like Palm Beach County.

Hopefully, our government has learned something from the S.E. Florida mess, but I'm skeptical at best.

They've already failed to procure right of ways for limited access East-West parkways from I-75 to Tamiami Trail. This is a repeat of SE the FLA traffic disaster.

Sarasota County should have at least 3 of them set aside by now. Its likely too late for Manatee County.

This means 64, 70, University Pkwy, Fruitville, Clark, Bee Ridge, Laurel will all become gridlocked in the near future without any alternatives. I saw it all play out in SW FLA in the 1970's & 80's.

At least they'll be able to widen I-75 to 6 lanes in each direction, so we'll be able to move North-South

Old 05-03-2021, 07:22 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Yes, more are staying now more than ever. These are the good 'ole days, so savor every moment.

10 years from now, many of us will not want to live here anymore. It will be a lot like Palm Beach County.

Hopefully, our government has learned something from the S.E. Florida mess, but I'm skeptical at best.

They've already failed to procure right of ways for limited access East-West parkways from I-75 to Tamiami Trail. This is a repeat of SE the FLA traffic disaster.

Sarasota County should have at least 3 of them set aside by now. Its likely too late for Manatee County.

This means 64, 70, University Pkwy, Fruitville, Clark, Bee Ridge, Laurel will all become gridlocked in the near future without any alternatives. I saw it all play out in SW FLA in the 1970's & 80's.

At least they'll be able to widen I-75 to 6 lanes in each direction, so we'll be able to move North-South
So glad we already moved out of that mess. We still love things about Sarasota/Manatee and have a lot of history there, but living in Lakeland is so much calmer and easier for us.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:00 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
I think our area has been busier than normal not only due to the snowbirds staying longer (or permanently) due to reasons cited by Beach, but also due to domestic tourists flocking to South Florida as their only beach vacation destination with warm water they can swim in without a wet suit!

It's not just Sarasota area, this is happening all along south Florida. I was looking at Key West for a quick road trip getaway and couldn't find anything cheaper than $554 per night for a regular 3.5* hotel. You want something at 4* and above, well, get ready to fork up $1300++ per night for that! And people are obviously paying for it or the businesses wouldn't be able to get away with such ridiculous prices!

Think about it, US citizens are stuck since most of us are afraid to go to Cancun or the Caribbean due to high Covid cases, so Florida it is then - red tide or not! It's a good thing for the businesses who suffered badly last year - now they can try to recoup their losses by jacking the prices up to the stratosphere.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:26 AM

How are those flying cars coming along anyways? We're going to need them 10 years from now to go East and West from December until April when the snowbirds and tourists are here.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:32 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
The last 2 weeks I've finally noticed a big reduction of traffic here in Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte and when I went out to eat Sunday wasn't quite as busy. Also, wal-mart was pretty slow earlier today which is odd for a Monday when it's peak season.

Still more traffic than normal though but it's let up some FINALLY. My business at the fleamarket and foot traffic has also gone down a lot the last 3 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area