Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 02:58 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
AMI has been overrun by short term renters, and their investor landlords. I feel terrible for the people trying to actually live there full time in their own private residences.

Some of AMI's original natural beauty is still there, but the amount of vegetation that has been cleared away, and the number of 3 level McMansions on postage stamp sized lots is very sad to see for somebody who remembers what it was like 30 years ago.
I remember what it was like in the 60s - it was a true treasure back then. It has unfortunately turned into a tourist trap today. Still prefer it over Siesta, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 04:50 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I remember what it was like in the 60s - it was a true treasure back then. It has unfortunately turned into a tourist trap today. Still prefer it over Siesta, though.
AMI is tough for me to get to from Venice, but this time of year, we typically do a day trip there, and eat at that restaurant on the beach, and walk around a bit.

I used to go to AMI a lot more in the 1990's when I lived near 70 & I-75.

Siesta is much closer to me from Venice, so we go there a few times a year for the beach...usually on the shoulders like right now.

Our favorite Island by far is Gasparilla/Boca Grande. We go there ~4x/year. I can get there from my area faster than I can get to AMI, & it's a much easier drive.

Sanibel/Captive's nice too, but its got Red Tide right now I think.

Old 05-26-2021, 05:20 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,284,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
AMI is tough for me to get to from Venice, but this time of year, we typically do a day trip there, and eat at that restaurant on the beach, and walk around a bit.

I used to go to AMI a lot more in the 1990's when I lived near 70 & I-75.

Siesta is much closer to me from Venice, so we go there a few times a year for the beach...usually on the shoulders like right now.

Our favorite Island by far is Gasparilla/Boca Grande. We go there ~4x/year. I can get there from my area faster than I can get to AMI, & it's a much easier drive.

Sanibel/Captive's nice too, but its got Red Tide right now I think.
That’s interesting to hear you like Lee County beaches. I’ve never been a big fan of them because the water is usually murkier there than Sarasota/Manatee County beaches. I think the best stretch of beaches on the west coast is from AMI through Casey Key. (Venice isn’t bad, but the sand is a bit darker.) For me coming from Tampa, there’s never really a reason to go further south than Sarasota County.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:51 PM

282 posts, read 247,954 times
We only started visiting in 2009 and purchased locally in 2016, and I can see quite a difference. Sadly, not the quaint, sleepy island it once was.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:03 PM

4,614 posts, read 7,534,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srq57 View Post
We only started visiting in 2009 and purchased locally in 2016, and I can see quite a difference. Sadly, not the quaint, sleepy island it once was.
When hubby and I moved to Sarasota Lakewood Ranch was still cow pastures, University Parkway was a little 2 lane road called County Line Rd and lined with orange groves, Bee Ridge was a 2 lane road that did not intersect with I-75, the Sarasota airport was tiny and you had to climb down stairs from your plane and walk across the tarmac to the airport doors........ you get the picture. Housing was very affordable but jobs were scarce and pay low, even for that time period. A lot of people working for restaurants and hotels barely made it through the summer months financially. Yes, beaches were a lot less crowded and short term rentals were pretty much nonexistent. There was very little to do back then on weekends in the way of events and activities. Much of the local "social life" centered around country clubs and yacht clubs, the Summerhouse on Siesta Key was a popular watering hole with locals. Building codes were also a lot more lax pre hurricane Andrew.

People really started "finding" Sarasota in the early 1990's. As more and more people started arriving in Sarasota, new shopping options and restaurants opened. New cultural arts groups were formed. Bayfront Park went thru a big redesign and Lakewood Ranch broke ground.

Not all change has been bad for our area.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:11 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,510,276 times
I use to like to go to the Island but its become way to crowded. The drive to it in Bradenton is all traffic congested. I guess Sometimes a person just needs to get away from crowds, and that seems impossible to do in so much of this state.

Old 05-29-2021, 08:55 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
When hubby and I moved to Sarasota Lakewood Ranch was still cow pastures, University Parkway was a little 2 lane road called County Line Rd and lined with orange groves, Bee Ridge was a 2 lane road that did not intersect with I-75, the Sarasota airport was tiny and you had to climb down stairs from your plane and walk across the tarmac to the airport doors........ you get the picture. Housing was very affordable but jobs were scarce and pay low, even for that time period. A lot of people working for restaurants and hotels barely made it through the summer months financially. Yes, beaches were a lot less crowded and short term rentals were pretty much nonexistent. There was very little to do back then on weekends in the way of events and activities. Much of the local "social life" centered around country clubs and yacht clubs, the Summerhouse on Siesta Key was a popular watering hole with locals. Building codes were also a lot more lax pre hurricane Andrew.

People really started "finding" Sarasota in the early 1990's. As more and more people started arriving in Sarasota, new shopping options and restaurants opened. New cultural arts groups were formed. Bayfront Park went thru a big redesign and Lakewood Ranch broke ground.

Not all change has been bad for our area.
I lived next to the cow pastures in what is now Lakewood Ranch. Back then, the biggest complaint was the noise from all the citrus carrying big rigs that were speeding along state road 70 from the groves to the Tropicana processing plant near downtown Bradenton. Remember all of Tropicana's Orange and Green rail cars?

I had forgotten that University Pkwy was County Line Road. Back then, anything East of I-75 was the boondocks.

I knew the growth was coming because I saw the same thing occur in SE Forida when I lived over there in the late 70's. Anything West of I-95 was mostly agriculture related, but today people live 10+ miles West if I-95. Today, people are leaving the Westernmost areas and moving closer to the beach and refurbing older homes. We'll see the same thing here, & its already begun. "West of the Trail" property has been hot here for years, & its going to become even more valuable in the future. Same with the Island of Venice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area