Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 08:13 AM

26,115 posts, read 13,104,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Even with all your years of experience in this geo you don't speak for everyone always.
I care, and I am not even a full time resident or property owner. Some of us may have friends who live there and are interested in others well being.
I follow this red tide stuff closely.
I say this kindly, I value your opinion as a full time/long time resident an appreciate the on the ground reports. Its is, however, insulting and offensive to believe that everyone shares your values and lifestyle, or the implication that they should.
Ignore my opinion, & ask around for yourself.

Out of 100 people you ask (who do not own property there) if they go to Longboat Key for anything, 98 would say no. There is nothing there for visitors, and the residents want it that way.

I recall a restaurant on the Bay side (at a marina) I've been to twice in the last 20 years...nice view, average food, inadequate parking lot that was flooded both times I was there.

I can think of 1 newer hotel that looks nice from the road. There's also a very expensive resort, mostly for the top 1%...rates start at $500/night (taxes included), but most are $800/night.

There's a very nice grocery store that is outrageously expensive, & 1 gas station.

There are a miniscule number of beach parking spots for the size of the Island, & they are tough to find.

The residents there do NOT want visitors on their island. They'd gate it off on both ends, if they could.

Based upon what I've read in the local papers, the residents are in constant bickering mode with each other. The HOA's there have nasty reputations.

Its a naturally beautiful island, that the property owners have purposely walled off from the outside world....for the most part. Unwelcoming would be a gross understatement.

Thus, I couldn't care less if they have Red Tide, or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 08:28 AM

20,238 posts, read 9,162,788 times
as development continues to grow, so will the Red Tide. It will just become a bigger and bigger problem in the future for Florida's west coast.

Old 10-31-2021, 08:34 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,285,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Ignore my opinion, & ask around for yourself.

Out of 100 people you ask (who do not own property there) if they go to Longboat Key for anything, 98 would say no. There is nothing there for visitors, and the residents want it that way.

I recall a restaurant on the Bay side (at a marina) I've been to twice in the last 20 years...nice view, average food, inadequate parking lot that was flooded both times I was there.

I can think of 1 newer hotel that looks nice from the road. There's also a very expensive resort, mostly for the top 1%...rates start at $500/night (taxes included), but most are $800/night.

There's a very nice grocery store that is outrageously expensive, & 1 gas station.

There are a miniscule number of beach parking spots for the size of the Island, & they are tough to find.

The residents there do NOT want visitors on their island. They'd gate it off on both ends, if they could.

Based upon what I've read in the local papers, the residents are in constant bickering mode with each other. The HOA's there have nasty reputations.

Its a naturally beautiful island, that the property owners have purposely walled off from the outside world....for the most part. Unwelcoming would be a gross understatement.

Thus, I couldn't care less if they have Red Tide, or not.
There are some decent yoga and gyms on longboat key. Your random 100 people are likely unaware and don’t utilize them. They seem to draw a nice clientele and I don’t get the same impression from the residents I have met - although I don’t know if they own or rent. Tons of visitors use that resort and it books up. I know 2 friends who have reservations this winter. Why the hate?

Last edited by foodyum; 10-31-2021 at 08:53 AM..

Old 10-31-2021, 01:22 PM

I care a lot about easily accessible public beaches, that have ample parking, restroom facilities, & that weclome local residents, and visitors alike, to enjoy nature along our coasts. I care a lot about the water conditions there, in those public places. I monitor the Red Tide status daily in those places, hoping for the best.

Coastal areas that have been 99% privatized, then essentially walled off to the general public, I couldn't care less about.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:52 PM

78 posts, read 111,629 times
I visited Siesta Key today. It was easily accessible and convenient yet mildly crowded. I assume the parking lot and beach will be jammed soon as more seasonal visitors and/or residents arrive. It was nice but I prefer less traveled beaches. People ruin everything...even the Earth. I do my best to enjoy it while it's still around. I'm looking forward to visiting Longboat Key and other sweet spots. On Cape Cod there are many secluded places where regular folks like myself are turned around at a gate by a security guard. Until a location has that, I will enjoy visiting any land mass quietly and respectfully.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:17 PM

There are plenty of secluded beaches here, but you need to walk a ways to get to them.

Red tide is 95% gone, & the weather's perfect this time of year, so now is the time to go to the beaches.

These are the good 'ole days in this area, so get out there and soak it up, before its gone.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:41 PM

92 posts, read 78,198 times
For the past week I've been walking the beach at the southern end of Longboat Key. I'm susceptible to the effects Red Tide, but I'm happy to report that I experienced no problems. There are usually hundreds of shorebirds on the beach, but I saw virtually no shorebirds this past week. Red Tide must have decimated the sea life. Hopefully the sea life and shorebirds will come back in a few weeks.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:34 AM

276 posts, read 285,718 times
We were at Coquina Beach Wed.. gorgeous day, lots of sun, low crowds.. such a pleasure to walk the beach with low crowds. No red tide at all, no dead fish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area