Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 08:00 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times

Advertisements

A state senator plans to introduce a bill during the next FL legislative session to allow cities and counties to ban cigarette smoking on their area beaches or designate specific smoking areas.

Supporters say cigarette butts are the most commonly found debris left on beaches and that those butts harm sea turtles, fish and birds.

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2022/01/0...gains-support/

Personally I hope local governments would support cigarette bans on our beautiful beaches if this legislation passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 08:08 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Personally, I have not smoked a cigarette (of any variety) in my llfe, but there exists a point beyond which human behavior can't be micro-managed by legislation, and an expensive bureaucracy to enforce it. This was demonstrated by the "noble experiment" called Prohibition a century ago, reinforced over the past half-century by the marijuana laws, and is currently playing itself out via the uproar over vaccination mandates.

Why can't the New Puritan dreamers understand this?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-06-2022 at 09:25 AM..

Old 01-11-2022, 09:46 AM

200 posts, read 157,192 times
Smoking is not a problem...it's the disposal of the residual butts it seems to me.

You already have sand, to place a bunch of receptacles in certain places with signage that appeals to the environment and personal fun and safety.

WE don't need any more Big Brother dictates about health choices - disposal of trash issues is another matter in the public domain.

And NO, I'm not a smoker, but if someone wants to smoke outside, knock yourself out...literally

Old 01-13-2022, 03:45 AM

276 posts, read 282,878 times
Hope so! Nothing worse than sitting on a beach enjoying a gorgeous day and smoke blowing over!

Old 01-13-2022, 08:20 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,968,473 times
No one in my family smokes cigarettes and I personally don't like the smell of it but come on ... an open beach? Are you really going to have smoke blowing in your face?

My property is two blocks from the beach and I often find cigarette butts on the edge of my property. I don't like it at all but I would hate to think that the government would be able to stop someone from smoking on a walk outdoors. Banning smoking on the beach is the same thing. Too much like a "nanny" state for me.

The problem is that there are people who are thoughtless and leave their butts anywhere they please. People like that would continue to do so even with a ban. I hope this bill winds up in a circular receptacle where it belongs.

Old 01-13-2022, 08:35 AM

200 posts, read 157,192 times
Bookit

Old 01-13-2022, 09:19 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
I do not smoke but am sick of all the "laws" - come on if you do not like smoke - do not sit next to a smoker - live and let live - I do believe they should dispose of their butts properly though.

Dont NY our Florida

Old 01-14-2022, 04:51 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,968,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
I do not smoke but am sick of all the "laws" - come on if you do not like smoke - do not sit next to a smoker - live and let live - I do believe they should dispose of their butts properly though.

Dont NY our Florida
Couldn't agree more and I was born and raised in NJ!

And no laws are ever going to change people who don't dispose of them properly. I've seen smokers put the butts in a container and carry them out with them - they are considerate people. The ones who leave them on the beach will continue to do so. No one is going to police the beaches for smokers, nor should they.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
A state senator plans to introduce a bill during the next FL legislative session to allow cities and counties to ban cigarette smoking on their area beaches or designate specific smoking areas.

Supporters say cigarette butts are the most commonly found debris left on beaches and that those butts harm sea turtles, fish and birds.

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2022/01/0...gains-support/

Personally I hope local governments would support cigarette bans on our beautiful beaches if this legislation passes.
But the state won’t require masks to cut down on CoVid exposure….
Sure that move is so logical…

Old 01-14-2022, 09:33 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Smoking is already banned in so many places, I'm fine with them being banned on the beach. In fact, I'd love to see it. FL has such beautiful beaches, we need to protect them at all costs. I don't care if you need to fulfill your nicotine addiction on the beach.....go sit in your car or stand on the side of the road and inhale the exhaust fumes. BYE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area