Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2022, 04:38 PM

50 posts, read 24,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Depends on the types of lawyers too. Public Defenders went to law school for example and their pay in Florida is dismal.

I would suspect dermatology is a big $ down here with all the skin cancers and such. Every dermatologist office I've been into down here is freaking huge. I mean like palaces. The one I went to in Bradenton was a local practice and the place was a palace. Was only two doctors, not one of those chains like Riverchase.

I couldn't be an architect. Too much math.

I could be a lawyer because I can memorize stuff and such. However, at 38 I'm not going back to grad school again.

I currently own a business at a fleamarket that's doing okay.

It sounds unbelievable but 15 years ago before Amazon took off the place was PACKED. A lot of people who owned businesses there were taking home 200k in profits a year and they only worked 3 days a week. You saw a lot of high end luxury cars there back in the day. People making 200k a year for 25 hours a week of work versus others having to work 60 hours a week to make that same amount.
Funny you mention the flea markets. I know guys that sold golf equipment at the south florida flea markets during the winter back in the 90's and they would clear $5k plus profit every fri/sat/sun...Not bad for 3 days of work plus maybe 1-2 additional days to build the clubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 06:15 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwy View Post
Funny you mention the flea markets. I know guys that sold golf equipment at the south florida flea markets during the winter back in the 90's and they would clear $5k plus profit every fri/sat/sun...Not bad for 3 days of work plus maybe 1-2 additional days to build the clubs.
Yea, back in the 90s and even mid 2000s these large fleamarkets in Florida were gold mines for income if you could secure a space and have a semi decent product. Most had waiting lists to get a spot. Even the summers back then the profits were still decent.

Fleamarkets are dying now though. Wagonwheel in St. Pete was a great market but the kids sold it. Bigtop in Tampa sold to a developer. Plus, the addition of farmers markets as well. My stuff if this was 2010 I'd probably would have a profit of about 150k a year right now for 3 days work.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwy View Post
Yes he is probably making that much at a minimum. My son works for a Cisco reseller in ATL and although they are not a $14B company they have plenty of people making 150k plus and most of them aren't 40 yet. I am still in ATL and I know many friends and neighbors in tech that make $200+ with a few way more than that. There is ridiculous money to be made in the tech industry. Even in the 90's I knew a few guys that worked for the likes of Cisco, Oracle, SAP etc that made $250+ and they were barely 30 years old. They worked their butts off under alot of pressure but they made a boatload between salary, commission and stock options.
When I graduated college back in 2013 I asked him about a job at his company. He said they started entry level 35-40k a year which I laughed at him as it was a joke. Especially someone like him making over 200k a year and hiring at an insulting pay like that they can cram the job lol. I'm not going to work for 35k for 3 years to make close to 100k eventually.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:32 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
How much do you think a VP working for the Miami dolphins makes ?

Old 03-10-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
How much do you think a VP working for the Miami dolphins makes ?
What level? I know in the NHL some of the BS VP positions they give former players a lot of times that's just basically a title and do some PR work they can make 200k a year for doing hardly anything. Blues gave Brett Hull a position like that a few years ago even though he lived in Nashville and just did a few appearances here and there.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:39 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
What level? I know in the NHL some of the BS VP positions they give former players a lot of times that's just basically a title and do some PR work they can make 200k a year for doing hardly anything. Blues gave Brett Hull a position like that a few years ago even though he lived in Nashville and just did a few appearances here and there.
Non athlete. How about the chief marketing officer or revenue officer

Old 03-10-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Non athlete. How about the chief marketing officer or revenue officer
I could see a chief marketing officer pulling in 400k a year.

The sports side of a pro team VP will pull in more because they're responsible for building a competitive team.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:48 PM

I also agree that it’s not the drs and lawyers making the big bucks anymore

Old 03-10-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I also agree that it’s not the drs and lawyers making the big bucks anymore
It all depends though. Doctors are making money. A IT sales person isn't going to be making what a doctor such as a dermatologist, cardiologist, neurologist, orthopedic surgeon makes that has a practice, does a number of procedures and has a large staff makes. The dermatologist I describe is probably pulling in over a million buck paycheck a year due to all the cosmetic work and other stuff she offers, even after that monster overheard costs.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:52 PM

True I’m sure some drs are making money. Pediatricians, obgyns and general family medicine are probably on the lower end. I’d be shocked if my derm makes a million. Seems like such an easy job makes me wish I was one. She actually said when I left that I could also send her a picture of any bumps that I ever notice instead of making the trip in. Telemedicine has become pretty popular since the pandemic. The derm who performed my mohs surgery and is a professor at harvard medical might be. Plastic surgeons probably make a lot too.

My cousin is a radiologist and he does well, probably makes like 400k and he’s in his 50s. I won’t ever be making close to what he makes but really his salary seems to be becoming pretty ordinary in certain parts of the country.

I sucked at math and science. Seems like the world is made for people who excel at math and science these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area