Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 02:38 PM

25,728 posts, read 12,800,389 times

Advertisements

Easter comes late this year (April 17th), does that impact snowbirds?

Or, do you watch the weather back home, & let that be your guide?

Or, do you rent here for set dates, then depart when your lease expires...like on March 31st for example?

Does covid play into your decision anymore?

Do you try to avoid weekend travel peaks, & travel during the work week? Do you depart at odd times to avoid traffic botlenecks near I-75/Turnpike merge?

Or, do you play it by ear, & leave when the urge hits you? Dual homeowners have the flexibility to do this.

I'm guessing we'll start seeing the bulk of loaded-up cars heading North starting March 31st, and by April 30th, most will have left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 03:15 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
One can only hope.

This year has been atrocious.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:38 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Easter comes late this year (April 17th), does that impact snowbirds?

Or, do you watch the weather back home, & let that be your guide?

Or, do you rent here for set dates, then depart when your lease expires...like on March 31st for example?

Does covid play into your decision anymore?

Do you try to avoid weekend travel peaks, & travel during the work week? Do you depart at odd times to avoid traffic botlenecks near I-75/Turnpike merge?

Or, do you play it by ear, & leave when the urge hits you? Dual homeowners have the flexibility to do this.

I'm guessing we'll start seeing the bulk of loaded-up cars heading North starting March 31st, and by April 30th, most will have left.
Last year they were here until late may early june because they came down couple months late because they wanted to make sure they got their vaccine.

Old 03-10-2022, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
One can only hope.

This year has been atrocious.
This year has been the busiest by far since I 1st arrived in FLA in 1977. The FLA Visitors Org estimated in '21 FLA had 118M visitors. Our forum area had more than its fair share of them, because SE Florida has become so costly & crowded, snowbirds/tourists are looking for alternatives.

We've had an economic boom here, & what happens next is unchartered territory.

Covid certainly played a major role, so hopefully things will normalize hereafter. I do believe the good ole days of our area clearing out April-November are gone. More will remain here year around due to work-from -anywhere, & economic considerations. It happened to other areas in Florida first, & now its happening here.

JaX, Orlando, Tampa Bay, & SE FLA all have a large base of year around residents now. They no longer feel as touristy as they did 30-40 years ago.

This is an area in flux, & normal migration patterns have been disrupted. It will be interesting to hear what the snowbirds, and tourists are thinking.

Old 03-10-2022, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Last year they were here until late may early june because they came down couple months late because they wanted to make sure they got their vaccine.
With Covid fading, I think we'll begin to see a more traditional flux of visitors coming and going, but more overall staying permanently.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:10 AM

89 posts, read 123,209 times
We will be leaving in early April. Although we have the option to stay longer, need to get back to clean up the yard, get the lawn mower going and all that home-owner stuff we all love. Also opening day of fishing is the 2nd Saturday in CT (they are trying to change that now unfortunately).
We see lots of FL people in CT during the summer months and hope more of you will visit to enjoy our part of the universe as much as we have enjoyed yours.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:15 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
With Covid fading, I think we'll begin to see a more traditional flux of visitors coming and going, but more overall staying permanently.
I agree. Actually, I noticed this awhile ago many moving down here year round. I know many of them say because they're older too and the long drive is a pain and harder on your back as you get old, plus the expenses of having two houses now and such too.

I run into those a lot. Ran into one the other day. I was out to eat at the beach. Guy saw my Stl Cards hat and commented if I'm from Stl. Told him yea. He said he lives down here year round now. Guy was probably mid 70s. His friend about mid 60s said he was just visiting for a week then going back.

I also notice semi snowbirds. They rent short and medium term rentals for the coldest months like Jan and Feb if they're from MN.

I also think with the rising cost of insurance, property taxes, and other expenses you're going to see more snowbirds move down here permanently.

This could explain why the median age of here in SWFL has jumped a couple more years.

I moved back to SWFL in 2015, and man does it seem the population is older since I returned. I lived in Naples from 91 to 2002 btw. Sure, it was geared towards the older crowed but it seems quite a bit older now than it was back then. I'm 38 but it seems I have to go to Tampa to feel more my age range. My aunt wanted us to move up there when we moved back BUT the traffic is god awful in Tampa.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:33 AM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,143 times
They usually start leaving around Easter time and are pretty all gone by Mothers day. Too many more came down this year because of "freedom".

Old 03-10-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpct View Post
We will be leaving in early April. Although we have the option to stay longer, need to get back to clean up the yard, get the lawn mower going and all that home-owner stuff we all love. Also opening day of fishing is the 2nd Saturday in CT (they are trying to change that now unfortunately).
We see lots of FL people in CT during the summer months and hope more of you will visit to enjoy our part of the universe as much as we have enjoyed yours.
Thx for your post & staying here in FLA! I guess the grass starts to grow in CT by early April, & the fish start biting. Safe jouney home, & hope we'll see you next year. We appreciate your staying here, & supporting our economy.

B-T-W...I was in Mystic last August for 2 days, & in Rhode Island for a month. Coastal New England is awesome. I went mostly to escape FLA's Summer heat...the N.E. temps were perfect. This August we'll be in Cape Cod at a VRBO.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
They usually start leaving around Easter time and are pretty all gone by Mothers day. Too many more came down this year because of "freedom".
Easter's very late this year, so I guess many will be here longer then. More $ for our state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area