Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 03:22 PM

14,947 posts, read 12,143,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Thx for all the info. This medical stuff is waaay too complicated. Almost as bad as doing tax returns

Leave it up to govt to screw things up through over-regulation.

Your post makes me want to move to another country. I see the entire medical care & insurance industry as quasi gov't, & I hate that.

There seems to be no real competition, so the customer (patient) comes last. It all sounds very broken to me.
Oh geez, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you feeling that way.

It IS a bit overwhelming when you encounter the vicissitudes of healthcare and health insurance/Medicare issues, for sure.
But even so I've found it possible to navigate the systems by taking charge of my own health issues, and learning as many of the ins and outs of the system as I can. It also helps to know who can help, who to contact, when to fight and when to leave things alone.

I think I get good medical care here. Granted, I'm realistic and not very demanding, and I always express my appreciation to the healthcare providers for what they do for me. I think that helps.,
/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 04:35 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I've been in both Venice Hospital and Sarasota Memorial hospital within the past 2 years. Frankly I wasn't impressed with either one.

When I was admitted to Venice Hospital I told the admitting person that I live in a home in Nokomis. Next day a doctor comes in my room looking at my chart and says: "I see that you're homeless". Apparently the admitting person has some kind of dyslexia and she mistook Nokomis home for homeless.

Also I constantly get calls from bill collectors and other nonsense because some guy had my current number like 10 years ago. Venice Hospital never updated his file with his current phone number. And just about 2 weeks ago I got a call from Venice Hospital (thinking that I was that guy) -- saying that his car had been there since October - and it had to be moved or they were going to tow it away.

Also several months ago I went to the emergency room at Venice Hospital. I had to sit there for about 8 hours before I was looked at. This was when Covid was still pretty high in our area - but still seemed like a long wait.

When I was at Sarasota Memorial Hospital they were always bringing me the wrong meals, bringing the meal late or forgetting all together. They also scheduled tests at such time that I couldn't eat dinner or lunch - so went hungry half the time.

The cardioligist there over-did it and prescribed me like half a dozen blood pressure meds. And then when I got home all of those meds made me so dizzy I could barely stand up.

Also at that time I was very weak and wanted to go to a rehab facility to gain some strength back before I went home. SMH tried for like 2 days to find a rehab facility that had an opening and would accept my insurance. When they couldn't find anything they literally kicked me out of the hospital when I was barely strong enough to get out of bed - and told me to go home.
They are very short staffed in all areas hospitals and anything relating to medical. The employees have moved away. Between Covid and no daycares and now unaffordable houses or apts. good luck.

Old 04-12-2022, 04:39 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaman777 View Post
I moved here last year and i got a doctor i like a lot. It took 4 month to get the first appointment - but once i got in i am good. His office always leaves space for patients that need emergencies so its just the initial wait that is long.

Please stop the baloney scare-mongering. Sarasota has a lot of really good doctors....
They do, but the staff is struggling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area