Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 01:38 PM

8,064 posts, read 4,639,344 times

Advertisements

The Manatee County population has grown to about 399,700 people, according to the 2020 Census, and that means more drivers, congestion and extended commute times.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Overall, the average American driver lost 36 hours due to traffic congestion in 2021, up 10 hours from 2020, according to a new report from global traffic data company INRIX, which supplies realtime data to apps like Waze.

In the Bradenton and Sarasota area, drivers lost 21 hours, and the report ranked it the 30th most congested city area in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 05:42 PM

25,701 posts, read 12,779,845 times
No way is Sarasota 30th. Not even in the top 50. I've lived a LOT of places and drove in many many more.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:05 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
No way is Sarasota 30th. Not even in the top 50. I've lived a LOT of places and drove in many many more.
100% agree - what were they smoking when they came up with that

Old 05-18-2022, 06:18 PM

Traffic is a bit better now that snowbirds have left for the season. But IMO it was really bad this winter. I was in Venice a lot over the winter going to doctors appointments - driving down from Nokomis. I've been in the area since 2009.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:08 PM

25,701 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Traffic is a bit better now that snowbirds have left for the season. But IMO it was really bad this winter. I was in Venice a lot over the winter going to doctors appointments - driving down from Nokomis. I've been in the area since 2009.
Have you ever drove in rush hour traffic in:

Detroit

St. Louis

Atlanta

SE Florida

Tampa Bay

LA

???

Old 05-18-2022, 11:05 PM

4,613 posts, read 7,531,187 times
Quote:

Detroit

St. Louis

Atlanta

SE Florida

Tampa Bay

LA

???

5 out of the 6. All were insane for different reasons.

In St. Louis they show no mercy, especially if you're trying to work your way into the outside lane to get off at the next ramp. I70 or 64, both would be terrible until you got way west of downtown.

LA you have to see to actually believe the traffic, you couldn't pay me enough to live there. Once was enough.

Tampa's I4 from downtown to I75 is rough and there's always at least one or two accidents causing even more back ups.

Atlanta I still haven't figured out which is worse -- taking 285 to avoid the downtown or trying to just cut thru on I75.

I95 in the West Palm Beach area is no picnic either during rush hour. Fast moving traffic, easy to end up way past where you wanted to get off. Hubby and I once ended up in Miami before we figured out where we went wrong.

Plus I'll throw in one more nasty rush hour commute -- Chicago.

Sarasota is a breeze compared to any of the above, in my opinion.

Old 05-19-2022, 01:14 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,336,963 times
Quote:

Detroit

St. Louis

Atlanta

SE Florida

Tampa Bay

LA

???

Traffic in Sarasota sucks, but it's not as bad as this "ranking" says.

Oh and regards to St. Louis since I'm from there I will say it's not that bad except for 270 and I64 during rush hour if there is an accident or if it's snowing, granted it hardly snows a ton in St. Louis anymore.

Even in that regards it's MUCH easier to navigate than the Tampa area or St. Pete. Nowhere near as confusing roads and such. I hate season traffic here. I would take St. Louis traffic any day.

For 41 in my area which has terrible traffic I guess the one to compare it to would be Hanley Rd. in Clayton in rush hour which is bad, and slower traffic as well.

St. Louis metro area has some of the easier road and highway layouts for a major city.

You'd be amazed how many people who move away from Stl, including here in Fl that eventually move back to Stl.

Old 05-19-2022, 06:21 AM

4,613 posts, read 7,531,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post

Oh and regards to St. Louis since I'm from there I will say it's not that bad except for 270 and I64 during rush hour if there is an accident or if it's snowing, granted it hardly snows a ton in St. Louis anymore.

Even in that regards it's MUCH easier to navigate than the Tampa area or St. Pete. Nowhere near as confusing roads and such. I hate season traffic here. I would take St. Louis traffic any day.

For 41 in my area which has terrible traffic I guess the one to compare it to would be Hanley Rd. in Clayton in rush hour which is bad, and slower traffic as well.

St. Louis metro area has some of the easier road and highway layouts for a major city.

You'd be amazed how many people who move away from Stl, including here in Fl that eventually move back to Stl.

We didn't live in St. Louis but I lived close enough that we often went there on weekends to have fun or visit relatives in St. Charles. Used to love visiting the zoo and Forest Park. But it's been 15 years since I've been there and family members are saying things have changed, especially the downtown area and malls. Is that true?

Old 05-19-2022, 08:39 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,336,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
We didn't live in St. Louis but I lived close enough that we often went there on weekends to have fun or visit relatives in St. Charles. Used to love visiting the zoo and Forest Park. But it's been 15 years since I've been there and family members are saying things have changed, especially the downtown area and malls. Is that true?
Downtown sucks. Mostly was based around companies so not much entertainment.

Malls suck just like everywhere else. The outlet mall is good though. West County mall is like their UTC and rich people.

Malls are dying overall. Eventually the only non outlet mall left will be utc until you hit Coastland in Naples if edison and others close

Old 05-19-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post

I'm from St. Louis also and I agree with your assessment. I haven't been in St. Louis since 2009 though. I lived in Lemay for 7 years and before that in South St. Louis for many years. It seemed relatively easy for me in the St. Louis area to find alternate routes if I wanted to. They had more of a street grid compared to Sarasota which mostly involves Hwy. 41 this & Hwy 41 that - which IMO contributes to the traffic problem in Sarasota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area