Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2022, 12:48 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

I leave for 1-2 months each Summer, so I need one, but I'm not a do-it-yourselfer...I pay pro's instead.

We all know that here in this part of FLA, if our HVAC system goes down, it requires immediate action.

I'd like to hear from real users in our area about the pro's & cons of their chosen system.

If I post this in the home maintenence forum, I won't get SW Florida homeowners who this is as critical to.

I know Google NEST is #1, but I read it has technical cons (like system security/privacy), & isn't easy to use. Even HVAC installers have trouble syncing it to the wifi & to the system. Also, effective 8-31-22 "Works with Nest" is shutting down, & transistioning, so I prefer to avoid that.

I had a HVAC guy tell me Honeywell's beats NEST...anyone have that one?

I prefer the most user friendly. Most online articles are biased, & some even infomercials, so I dont trust them. I'll read Consumer Reports ratings at the library because I trust them.

Do I hire a HVAC provider to install it, or an electrician? Do the brands have a list of certified installers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 09:28 PM

66 posts, read 130,916 times
I had a Nest for many years in my old house and I enjoyed using it. Hooking up the Wifi is pretty easy, you just find it on the menu, search for your Wifi name and enter the password, you only have to do it once.This assumes your wifi router is somewhat in the vicinity, just like for any wifi connection. The iron sleeve in chimneys can mess with wifi signal, not a big issue in FL one story houses. It also does auto learning it will adjusts the temp if you are not in the house. The phone app is pretty simple to use. As a bonus, young people will think you are cool for having one. Installation by a pro should not cost much unless they have to add a C wire, other then that the job is 30 minutes plus config.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by info781 View Post
I had a Nest for many years in my old house and I enjoyed using it. Hooking up the Wifi is pretty easy, you just find it on the menu, search for your Wifi name and enter the password, you only have to do it once.This assumes your wifi router is somewhat in the vicinity, just like for any wifi connection. The iron sleeve in chimneys can mess with wifi signal, not a big issue in FL one story houses. It also does auto learning it will adjusts the temp if you are not in the house. The phone app is pretty simple to use. As a bonus, young people will think you are cool for having one. Installation by a pro should not cost much unless they have to add a C wire, other then that the job is 30 minutes plus config.
Thx! I read Google is shutting down its software support for Nest in Nov 2022:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...s-for-5-years/

They are exiting the home security market. This article is confusing to follow, but it puts a lot of doubt in my mind about the Nest thermostat product beyond this November.

Would I hire an HVAC person to install it? Or, an electrician?

Old 07-26-2022, 06:29 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I installed a Honeywell Total Connect Comfort thermostat in my central Florida home several years ago and am very pleased with it. It works off the WiFi in the house. It works very well except when the WiFi is down obviously. Also, there is a lag when the WiFi comes back online as the modem and router have to reboot. The TCC module takes about ten minutes to reconnect.

I think there is a way to connect to the cellular system (the home security system uses the cellular system for communication) but I haven't done that.

I also do not use Alexa or any of the voice activated control devices so I cannot comment on these interfaces.

My A/C contractor installed the system.

Although not really a HVAC monitoring system, my Canary camera also has a temperature monitoring function and notifies me when the home temperature or humidity is out of range. The User sets the temperature range. The max/min temperature functions were helpful for both my northern and southern homes.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I installed a Honeywell Total Connect Comfort thermostat in my central Florida home several years ago and am very pleased with it. It works off the WiFi in the house. It works very well except when the WiFi is down obviously. Also, there is a lag when the WiFi comes back online as the modem and router have to reboot. The TCC module takes about ten minutes to reconnect.

I think there is a way to connect to the cellular system (the home security system uses the cellular system for communication) but I haven't done that.

I also do not use Alexa or any of the voice activated control devices so I cannot comment on these interfaces.

Although not really a HVAC monitoring system, my Canary camera also has a temperature monitoring function and notifies me when the home temperature or humidity is out of range. The User sets the temperature range. The max/min temperature functions were helpful for both my northern and southern homes.
Thx! I'm leaning toward Honeywell.

Do you monitor your HVAC system via your cell phone? Do you download an app onto your cell phone?

Can it send you text or voice mail alerts if the temp rises to over 78 degrees for instance?

Old 07-26-2022, 11:26 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
We use Google Nest (bought it from Costco) and are happy with it. Very user friendly and easy to install (we installed it ourselves).

Prior to that, we had Trane HVAC system in our Virginia home and used their own HVAC monitoring system that worked better than Nest, perhaps because it was designed specifically for the system. That was installed by the Trane technician.

I think if your HVAC system has their own monitoring system, it will be best to use theirs vs Nest. So if you use Honeywell HVAC system, then use Honeywell monitoring system instead. The house we bought in FL uses Lennox HVAC systems and Lennox doesn't have it, that's why we bought Nest.

One thing that you may or may not be aware, you may still face issues that can only be handled by in-person service due to unforeseen circumstance. One time when we were traveling, the thermostat was not connecting properly with Nest (it was showing 'connected' on the phone app but the house was not cooling at all), so we thought it was Nest connection issue. I was worried the whole time we were away because it was summer and I didn't want to come home to a disaster. Sure enough, when we got home a week later, we found out that our AC's compressor was fried due to a bad storm that came through when we were away (I think it was a lightning strike that did it). So we had to call our usual HVAC guy to replace the fried part. We've since learned our lesson and installed lightning strike protection system for the house. It happened a second time when we were away, and it's due to a part that stopped working for no good reason (at least we knew from Nest that something was wrong but we couldn't tell what until we got home and had someone diagnose it). So just make sure you have someone trustworthy to check on the house for unexpected situations like that.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:38 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Thx! I'm leaning toward Honeywell.

Do you monitor your HVAC system via your cell phone? Yes - Honeywell uses Total Connect Comfort app. It lets me see current conditions inside and outside. Also lets me override current settings for a specified period of time and lets me program the heat/cool settings 24/7. Do you download an app onto your cell phone? Yes.
Can it send you text or voice mail alerts if the temp rises to over 78 degrees for instance? Yes- you set the parameters.

Here are the mobile apps I use:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/total-...rt/id469517819

Old 07-26-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

Thanks so much for your post Lillie! Very helpful. After reading this post, I called my hvac provider and asked them if they are adept at installing the Honeywell systems, & he side yes. I asked him if he felt Honeywell was the best, and he again said yes. He said NEST's he's installed have gone haywire for no apparent reason & changed the settings, & he also felt they were more of a privacy/hack risk.

I'll buy the $169 Honeywell wifi thermostat in the days ahead, and they'll install it next week. That way, I'll have ample time to test it, & learn how to use it before we leave. The online reviews were 4.5 out of 5, & they said its easy to use.

Old 07-26-2022, 03:50 PM

Thx Grace. We have a friendly neighbor that has a key to our home. They could come check if the Honeywell monitoring device indicates an issue. I always shut off all water to our home from outside before we leave, so leaks are not an issue. We only leave for a month at t time, but next year I'll likely extend it to 2 months. I'm trying to avoid the home watch costs by installing this hvac monitoring system. Our neighbors will look out for our property while we are away, like we look out for theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
We use Google Nest (bought it from Costco) and are happy with it. Very user friendly and easy to install (we installed it ourselves).

Prior to that, we had Trane HVAC system in our Virginia home and used their own HVAC monitoring system that worked better than Nest, perhaps because it was designed specifically for the system. That was installed by the Trane technician.

I think if your HVAC system has their own monitoring system, it will be best to use theirs vs Nest. So if you use Honeywell HVAC system, then use Honeywell monitoring system instead. The house we bought in FL uses Lennox HVAC systems and Lennox doesn't have it, that's why we bought Nest.

One thing that you may or may not be aware, you may still face issues that can only be handled by in-person service due to unforeseen circumstance. One time when we were traveling, the thermostat was not connecting properly with Nest (it was showing 'connected' on the phone app but the house was not cooling at all), so we thought it was Nest connection issue. I was worried the whole time we were away because it was summer and I didn't want to come home to a disaster. Sure enough, when we got home a week later, we found out that our AC's compressor was fried due to a bad storm that came through when we were away (I think it was a lightning strike that did it). So we had to call our usual HVAC guy to replace the fried part. We've since learned our lesson and installed lightning strike protection system for the house. It happened a second time when we were away, and it's due to a part that stopped working for no good reason (at least we knew from Nest that something was wrong but we couldn't tell what until we got home and had someone diagnose it). So just make sure you have someone trustworthy to check on the house for unexpected situations like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area