Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2022, 09:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times

Advertisements

We have had a bad episode recently—found what was exacerbating the issue and think we are over the hump

Just worried about the cycle and having larvae hatch and re-infest so ordered couple of products from Amazon
Some of our drain openings are difficult to clean because you can’t get a snake/brush very far

Just wondered if anyone had an issue with their drain vents on roofs being the problem?
Someone on line posted that they had added fine mesh over their roof vents and not had new visits

We don’t have any potted plants in house that could be a breeding source
And went to several plumbing sites to see what other things can “host” them—and most of them we don’t have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 01:47 PM

733 posts, read 761,676 times
I'm not sure this is the same issue you have.

We get tiny, slow flies in our bathroom every few months. They seem to come from our bathtub drain. We never use our bathtub.

I run a bunch of water into the tub for a while, and that flushes them out for a period of time. The next time I see 2 or 3 in our tub, and I'll run water again, and problem solved for another few months.

I asked my pest person about it, and they said that's normal for an unused tub sometimes. Running water is a good solution. Only happens in 1 of 2 tubs oddly.

Old 08-22-2022, 02:15 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,237,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We have had a bad episode recently—found what was exacerbating the issue and think we are over the hump

Just worried about the cycle and having larvae hatch and re-infest so ordered couple of products from Amazon
Some of our drain openings are difficult to clean because you can’t get a snake/brush very far

Just wondered if anyone had an issue with their drain vents on roofs being the problem?
Someone on line posted that they had added fine mesh over their roof vents and not had new visits

We don’t have any potted plants in house that could be a breeding source
And went to several plumbing sites to see what other things can “host” them—and most of them we don’t have

A little drain cleaner or bleach will work in the drain. Do it periodically. But the vents do need to have some screens on them.

Old 08-22-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
I'm not sure this is the same issue you have.

We get tiny, slow flies in our bathroom every few months. They seem to come from our bathtub drain. We never use our bathtub.

I run a bunch of water into the tub for a while, and that flushes them out for a period of time. The next time I see 2 or 3 in our tub, and I'll run water again, and problem solved for another few months.

I asked my pest person about it, and they said that's normal for an unused tub sometimes. Running water is a good solution. Only happens in 1 of 2 tubs oddly.
Yes
Drain flies

Thanks
Ours took more than just hot water though

They feed on the sludge that can grow in your pipes—soap residue, food particles in kitchen trap, wet dirt in indoor plant pots, even in washer drains—just depends on where they get foothold

Ordered some stuff that is enzyme cleaner that activates and feeds on the residue in pipes—
Hope to stop build-ups and prevent future visits…

Old 08-22-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
A little drain cleaner or bleach will work in the drain. Do it periodically. But the vents do need to have some screens on them.
Know how to do that?
Would have thought they would have done it when they re-piped the house for previous owner

We had one vent for dryer that went through second floor and out roof in our TX home and guy who came out to clean it said that they had installed the wrong type—that one they installed blocked the fluff leaving the dryer when it got to the vent opening—guy had to cut holes with tin snips to enlarge them

Old 08-23-2022, 09:30 AM

54 posts, read 43,151 times
I use periodic vinegar with a little baking soda, or a bit of vinegar cleaning solution sold in most stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area