Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 07:04 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times

Advertisements

I’m contemplating a move from Asheville to Sarasota. My main concerns are the heat/humidity, hurricanes and traffic.
Here in Asheville I’m miserable in the fall and winter months. I’ll probably be miserable in the summer months in Sarasota. I have the means to break that up with trips to cooler climes. Also being outside in summer months is preferable to winter in Asheville.
As far as hurricanes go I’m guessing that I’ll be good if I’m far enough inland.
I grew up in NYC traffic which I’m guessing is not at all comparable to Sarasota traffic.
Asheville is beautiful however I don’t think that it’s worth a price of admission. I’m a Trump voting conservative, and Asheville is very liberal. It’s been hard to meet a mate.
I welcome any comments.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 07:46 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,296,547 times
Why Sarasota?

Old 11-02-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Why Sarasota?
My sister is in Riverview and I’d like to be close to her. Also I’m on match.com and there seems to be a plethora of lovely ladies who are on the site. One of my main complaints about Asheville is that I’m not meeting quality women.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:44 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
My sister is in Riverview and I’d like to be close to her. Also I’m on match.com and there seems to be a plethora of lovely ladies who are on the site. One of my main complaints about Asheville is that I’m not meeting quality women.
Can you define "quality women"? Sarasota skews older, a lot of people in their 40s and 50s. Also many "boomers." There are also college students because of the three smaller colleges there.

We had a place in Asheville for a couple years so I am familiar with the differences in the cities. Sarasota is far more upscale with a higher degree of "sophistication" if you will. You will not see all the crazy characters or huge #s of homeless (although there will be some) like we observed in Asheville. I thought of Asheville as a sort of mini-Portland or Berkeley. You will not find that in Sarasota. Sarasota is on the conservative side but not overly so. It is artsy without being crazy. There is a mix of people from all over the country and world.

Keep in mind Sarasota is very expensive as far as housing. Maybe on the same par as Asheville, although not sure of the prices there these days. Yes summers are hot, but you could always do an escape to cooler climes. Me, I despise cold and thought Asheville was way too cold half of the year.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-03-2022, 08:43 AM

124 posts, read 99,126 times
Quote:
I’m contemplating a move from Asheville to Sarasota. My main concerns are the heat/humidity, hurricanes and traffic.
Here in Asheville I’m miserable in the fall and winter months. I’ll probably be miserable in the summer months in Sarasota. I have the means to break that up with trips to cooler climes. Also being outside in summer months is preferable to winter in Asheville.
As far as hurricanes go I’m guessing that I’ll be good if I’m far enough inland.
I grew up in NYC traffic which I’m guessing is not at all comparable to Sarasota traffic.
Asheville is beautiful however I don’t think that it’s worth a price of admission. I’m a Trump voting conservative, and Asheville is very liberal. It’s been hard to meet a mate.
I welcome any comments.

Thanks!
Okay I'll bite...
I guess you're a man?
If so, my own long time experience with women here is very hit or miss. I see/meet lots of women who are fat, plain and not overall attractive, too many now with tattoos lol, not exceptionally well-educated either, lots of losers from other states, some with oddly checkered pasts, lots of seemingly angry divorcees lol, or amateur golddiggers, tons of mediocre-looking 40-60 old women desperately trying to look 25 (I know, my sibling is a surgeon here lol)....

The landscape in Tampa is far far better than in Sarasota-Manatee. Tampa (west) seems closer to sis too.

Comments? er, skip Sarasota

Old 11-03-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Can you define "quality women"? Sarasota skews older, a lot of people in their 40s and 50s. Also many "boomers." There are also college students because of the three smaller colleges there.

We had a place in Asheville for a couple years so I am familiar with the differences in the cities. Sarasota is far more upscale with a higher degree of "sophistication" if you will. You will not see all the crazy characters or huge #s of homeless (although there will be some) like we observed in Asheville. I thought of Asheville as a sort of mini-Portland or Berkeley. You will not find that in Sarasota. Sarasota is on the conservative side but not overly so. It is artsy without being crazy. There is a mix of people from all over the country and world.

Keep in mind Sarasota is very expensive as far as housing. Maybe on the same par as Asheville, although not sure of the prices there these days. Yes summers are hot, but you could always do an escape to cooler climes. Me, I despise cold and thought Asheville was way too cold half of the year.

Hope this helps.
Sorry I should have worded that differently. What I meant to write was women with the qualities that I’m looking for.
That would be women that take care of themselves, lean conservative, and are financially independent.
More upscale is what I’m looking for.
I’m looking at 800 k for a house or condo.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:46 PM

32 posts, read 25,216 times
Quote:
Sorry I should have worded that differently. What I meant to write was women with the qualities that I’m looking for.
That would be women that take care of themselves, lean conservative, and are financially independent.
Your budget will accommodate most areas of Sarasota other than downtown and the west of the trail communities which are within minutes of the keys.

As far as the type of women you seek they are here but as another poster suggested they may require time to sort through for your particular tastes.

What I have noticed is Sarasota in general is a “status” city.

How you look, gym toned, implants, designer fashion, expensive car, jewelry, is important for those who want to be accepted in certain circles, attend invite only events, climb the social ladder, etc.

Not all women play this game, but many of the seeking arrangements, sugar, arm candy status, are there looking for men who can provide access to the places to see and be seen. If you enjoy this type of company and aren’t looking for more than superficial enjoyment with “activity partners” you’ll find plenty of options if you can compete on that level.

You will also find women of independent means, but more sporadically and at more of a level of challenge. Meaning you’ll have to be at the top of your game to attract them. They are smart, worldly, well traveled, and have elegant tastes. They won’t settle. They know their worth. If that’s what you mean by upscale then, yes.

I would say many lean conservative politically, but not all, and their social views may not be as conservative in terms of traditional mores.

Most, I have found, are not really interested in marriage if that’s what your seeking. Many have situations set up to where remarrying may jeopardize what they already enjoy. This does not mean that you can’t find a more traditional relationship but it may be harder and more frustrating than you would imagine.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:46 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
I think you will do fine in Sarasota in that case. A lot of women fit that profile (depending on age you are looking for). See if you can find something in or around downtown. That will put you close to all the "action" so to speak. Lots of great places to go downtown, great rooftop bars in the large new hotels and anyone can go. Live music of all kinds everywhere. St. Armand's always hopping.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usir View Post
Your budget will accommodate most areas of Sarasota other than downtown and the west of the trail communities which are within minutes of the keys.

As far as the type of women you seek they are here but as another poster suggested they may require time to sort through for your particular tastes.

What I have noticed is Sarasota in general is a “status” city.

How you look, gym toned, implants, designer fashion, expensive car, jewelry, is important for those who want to be accepted in certain circles, attend invite only events, climb the social ladder, etc.

Not all women play this game, but many of the seeking arrangements, sugar, arm candy status, are there looking for men who can provide access to the places to see and be seen. If you enjoy this type of company and aren’t looking for more than superficial enjoyment with “activity partners” you’ll find plenty of options if you can compete on that level.

You will also find women of independent means, but more sporadically and at more of a level of challenge. Meaning you’ll have to be at the top of your game to attract them. They are smart, worldly, well traveled, and have elegant tastes. They won’t settle. They know their worth. If that’s what you mean by upscale then, yes.

I would say many lean conservative politically, but not all, and their social views may not be as conservative in terms of traditional mores.

Most, I have found, are not really interested in marriage if that’s what your seeking. Many have situations set up to where remarrying may jeopardize what they already enjoy. This does not mean that you can’t find a more traditional relationship but it may be harder and more frustrating than you would imagine.
I’m 65 but look 10 years younger than my age. I eat organically, practice yoga 4 times a week and go to the gym. 95% of the men my age that I run into don’t come close. I should find a mate rather quickly when I get there.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I think you will do fine in Sarasota in that case. A lot of women fit that profile (depending on age you are looking for). See if you can find something in or around downtown. That will put you close to all the "action" so to speak. Lots of great places to go downtown, great rooftop bars in the large new hotels and anyone can go. Live music of all kinds everywhere. St. Armand's always hopping.
Thanks gypsychick! I love live music! I’ll be heading down to Sarasota in December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area