Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You can vote more than once for your regular places
Publix 11 47.83%
Costco 7 30.43%
Winn Dixie 3 13.04%
WalMart 9 39.13%
Target 1 4.35%
Other—list it in a post 5 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 03:11 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Kyle, years ago I did shop at super Target in Sarasota for a lot of my groceries. This was in the days before ALDI and also before they built the new mall out there and it got way too crowded. But also, it really went downhill; they changed many of their brands and offerings over time and it just wasn't worth my while to go there anymore. Target is a nice store, however, and would choose it ANY DAY over Walmart.
You should check it out again. They have rebranded their store brand to Good and Gather which often in the food aspect is organic and all-in-all high quality. THey've really picked up their produce game as well and is much more diverse and fresher in my opinion than what Publix has been putting out. I like the idea of Aldi however not all locations are equal. The one near me is older, fairly small and quite limited in selection. We should all pray for its main competitor Lidl to arrive in FL. Amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjNZVwyy1Uc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 03:15 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You should check it out again. They have rebranded their store brand to Good and Gather which often in the food aspect is organic and all-in-all high quality. THey've really picked up their produce game as well and is much more diverse and fresher in my opinion than what Publix has been putting out. I like the idea of Aldi however not all locations are equal. The one near me is older, fairly small and quite limited in selection. We should all pray for its main competitor Lidl to arrive in FL. Amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjNZVwyy1Uc
I might check it out, Kyle. I haven't shopped the one here in Lakeland where we live now. But in the meantime I am pretty happy with ALDI here, and as I mentioned, a brand new one is opening in a week or two right down the road from me. There will always be a few things I need to buy at Publix, but these days not really much at all.

As for Lidl, I don't expect them any time soon, if ever.

Last edited by gypsychic; 02-06-2023 at 03:24 PM..

Old 02-06-2023, 05:26 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Aldi or Walmart in my area.

Old 02-07-2023, 12:28 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Mostly Walmart or Farmer Joe's here. Food has gone up everywhere including wal-mart but it's still far cheaper than Publix.

Farmer Joes is like an Oakes Farm or Dewilters in Venice. large store, larger selection of fruits and veggies, better quality as well. Their meat at Farmer Joe's blows Publix away in selection and quality and the price doesn't cost more than Publix.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:18 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, they are about to open a brand new store not too far from me in south Lakeland - maybe a couple more weeks and I can't wait!!! What is also nice is this store is only a couple blocks from the flagship Publix and also the Publix Greenwise, so all my shopping will be in one small quadrant!
Aldi costs ~40% less than Publix for most staple items....why? Mostly due to Aldi selling non brand name items. Branding costs Millions in advertising, that you wind up paying for when you buy brand names.

Aldi has very few brand name items...fine by me...a can of no-name generic Black Beans costs 68 cents at Aldi, & $1.11 at Publix for Bush's brand...both cans are 15 ounces, not 16 ounces...shrinkflation.

Even if you buy a case of Bush's brand Black Beans, the lowest cost you'll find them for is 98 cents a can.

In a blind taste test, I doubt if anyone could tell the difference. Aldi products tend to have less salt/sodium, and sugar in them.

I can buy 2/3rds of all I need at Aldi. I go to WalMart that is along my weekly route to source the rest.

Even when Publix does BoGo's, their price is not less than Aldi everyday prices...about the same, but then you are getting brand names at Publix.

Occasionally, Publix does a gas card savings promo for buying $50 in groceries. My wife buys $50 in BoGo's, & the $50 gas card for $40, saving $10 on gas. That is the only way we shop at Publix...when the gas card promo is going.

Another thing we do to save is almost never waste food. We buy just enough fresh foods to avoid anything going bad.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:36 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Other. Trader Joe's is hard to beat in price and quality. I am not into premade foods much either, so I get basic groceries there and of course wine. I found that Trader Joe's prices are best.

Old 02-07-2023, 09:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
About 80% is from Costco, then 15% from Fred Meyer (Kroger) and a small amount from Trader Joe's and if desperate in a hurry, Safeway. We get one item from Whole Foods, deli sliced American Cheese . It tastes a lot better than other places and is only $8.99 while the others are all at $10.99.

Old 02-07-2023, 10:16 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Aldi costs ~40% less than Publix for most staple items....why? Mostly due to Aldi selling non brand name items. Branding costs Millions in advertising, that you wind up paying for when you buy brand names.

Aldi has very few brand name items...fine by me...a can of no-name generic Black Beans costs 68 cents at Aldi, & $1.11 at Publix for Bush's brand...both cans are 15 ounces, not 16 ounces...shrinkflation.

Even if you buy a case of Bush's brand Black Beans, the lowest cost you'll find them for is 98 cents a can.

In a blind taste test, I doubt if anyone could tell the difference. Aldi products tend to have less salt/sodium, and sugar in them.

I can buy 2/3rds of all I need at Aldi. I go to WalMart that is along my weekly route to source the rest.

Even when Publix does BoGo's, their price is not less than Aldi everyday prices...about the same, but then you are getting brand names at Publix.

Occasionally, Publix does a gas card savings promo for buying $50 in groceries. My wife buys $50 in BoGo's, & the $50 gas card for $40, saving $10 on gas. That is the only way we shop at Publix...when the gas card promo is going.

Another thing we do to save is almost never waste food. We buy just enough fresh foods to avoid anything going bad.
Funny how Publix a lot of the BOGOS are now having to buy two to get one free. Many times BOGOS are walm-mart's regular prices.

Typical Grocery stores in general cost more. I'm from St. Louis and Schnucks and Dierbergs are both about the same as Publix, especially Dierbergs. At least up there you have more old time butcher shops. Is that Dewiters in Venice similar to Oakes Farm and Farmer Joe's?

I've notice this season Farmer Joes is about 40 percent LESS busy than last year when it opened up. Tons of parking now. I do notice their prices went up though which is why I'm thinking their business is down. On some of their stuff they're more than Publix. Their meats are a tad more than some of the stuff than Publix but it's ten times better. I don't mind paying a bit more for meats if they're good quality. Especially Here in Florida. Everything I get from Publix, Winn Dixie etc for steaks not as good. Farmer Joes their steaks have been top notch.

Why would I pay more money for the same brand butter, OJ or coke at Publix when Wal-Mart sells it? Also our Publixs around here are small, never enough lanes open and no self checkout. Wal-Mart I go through self checkout and prefer to bag myself. I hate how most of the baggers at the grocery stores bag my stuff sloppy.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:08 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I don't mind paying a bit more for meats if they're good quality. Especially Here in Florida. Everything I get from Publix, Winn Dixie etc for steaks not as good. Farmer Joes their steaks have been top notch.

Why would I pay more money for the same brand butter, OJ or coke at Publix when Wal-Mart sells it? Also our Publixs around here are small, never enough lanes open and no self checkout. Wal-Mart I go through self checkout and prefer to bag myself. I hate how most of the baggers at the grocery stores bag my stuff sloppy.

meat quality at publix and winn dixie is terrible; produce also
its better than walmart but thats not saying much

Old 02-07-2023, 05:11 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
meat quality at publix and winn dixie is terrible; produce also
its better than walmart but thats not saying much
Maybe at regular Publix but the meat at Publix Greenwise is outstanding. And they wrap it in butcher paper, not styrofoam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area