Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You can vote more than once for your regular places
Publix 11 47.83%
Costco 7 30.43%
Winn Dixie 3 13.04%
WalMart 9 39.13%
Target 1 4.35%
Other—list it in a post 5 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 12:26 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,349,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
meat quality at publix and winn dixie is terrible; produce also
its better than walmart but thats not saying much
Totally agree there! No excuse with the produce, especially the fruit grown in FL. See lots of stale looking stuff at Publix, and all the places. Meats possibly cause of the grass down here. I don't expect the meats to be as good as up in Missouri or Texas but it's just downright terrible down here at Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 05:07 AM

25,793 posts, read 12,849,279 times
When I ws a member, & I ate meat, Costco had the best meats...still true? Are their prices resisting inflation much?

Costco is opening a 3rd store in this forum area in Wellen Park this year. I can't eat most fresh foods fast enough to buy bulk there, unless I freeze some. I no longer eat meats, so I'm leaning away from Costco, but they have good prices on non-food stuff.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
When I ws a member, & I ate meat, Costco had the best meats...still true? Are their prices resisting inflation much?

Costco is opening a 3rd store in this forum area in Wellen Park this year. I can't eat most fresh foods fast enough to buy bulk there, unless I freeze some. I no longer eat meats, so I'm leaning away from Costco, but they have good prices on non-food stuff.
Not sure. Dont have a membership anymore. The one at sarasota square mall didnt have a great selection and the next closest one in Estero wasnt impressed. Had almost expired product on the shelf. Not worth a 40 mile drive from me. Bjs seems to be nice. Id rather just get my meat at Farmer Joes. Closer drive.

Old 02-10-2023, 10:25 AM

119 posts, read 118,136 times
Publix Supermarkets nine times out of ten. Clearly they do a good job and have a great reputation for high quality customer service. Places like Aldi don't even bag what you buy for godsake lol. If that's tine with you....great !

Old 02-10-2023, 10:42 AM

119 posts, read 118,136 times
Additionally, I think it's pretty stupid to DRIVE PAST a Publix 6 mins from my house, to a Wally's or an Aldi, say 16 miles round trip to save maybe 4 dollars on a TOTAL BILL - when gasoline is $3.50 per gallon, and I'm using oil, tire wear and putting miles on my vehicle - then, there is the hassle factor of traffic, parking, risks, and a little time called TIME. Oh well, that's just us. If my total bills at these alleged great discounters could 'save' say, 15 dollars IN TOTAL, we might think about it ! or if gasoline was $2.15 per gallon, that might factor in a different decision - maybe. We choose NOT to be 'penny wise and pound foolish'. To each his own I guess, lot of stupid people out there.

Old 02-11-2023, 03:06 PM

Aldi costs ~40% less than Publix, and 20% less than Wal Mart.

I drive to Aldi and Walmart 2x/month & stock up since I have the money, & the storage space. I spend ~$200/trip.

That is $60 savings if averaged out...per trip, or ~$1,500 year. I have to make $2,000/yr to net $1,500.

They might be 4 miles further than the nearest high priced Publix, so I'm way ahead.

If you are driving further, you need to buy a lot more to justify the cost per mile.

Old 02-11-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DovieHarding View Post
Publix Supermarkets nine times out of ten. Clearly they do a good job and have a great reputation for high quality customer service. Places like Aldi don't even bag what you buy for godsake lol. If that's tine with you....great !
I prefer to bag my own groceries and I work two nights a week at publix. I don't like the way most baggers and cashiers just plop the stuff in the bags. In a hurry, putting fragile stuff in the same bags as a bottle of milk etc.

Old 02-11-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Aldi costs ~40% less than Publix, and 20% less than Wal Mart.

I drive to Aldi and Walmart 2x/month & stock up since I have the money, & the storage space. I spend ~$200/trip.

That is $60 savings if averaged out...per trip, or ~$1,500 year. I have to make $2,000/yr to net $1,500.

They might be 4 miles further than the nearest high priced Publix, so I'm way ahead.

If you are driving further, you need to buy a lot more to justify the cost per mile.
I'm lucky Wal-mart is just two miles from me and only two stop lights. Take me about 5 minutes usually to get there.

Been buying more of my meat and product at Farmer Joes in northern Cape Coral. Meat is about the same as Publix or a tad more sometimes but the quality is a lot better. It's also an easy drive for me and very few stop lights.

The paper plates and cups I buy at Dollar Tree a lot. Cheaper than Walmart and Publix and the exact same cups and plates.

Old 02-12-2023, 05:24 AM

I shop every other week, & stock up. If there's a good sale on anything non-perishable, I might buy a 6-month supply.

Wow! I shopped yesterday, Aldi, & also bought 6 small items at Winn-Dixie (<$10).

Aldi prices were mostly unchanged, (Salmon keeps climbing though) but they were out of even more items than last time (skim milk, 1% milk, guac, some produce items).

Winn-Dixie prices were waaay up on everything...I can't imagine what Publix prices are now.

Food inflation has not peaked as of 2-11-23...still rising. I'll be living off my huge stockpiles of oatmeal, canned tuna & salmon for a long time it appears. Restaurants can also be a decent alternative, if you chose wisely.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:18 AM

71 posts, read 66,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DovieHarding View Post
Places like Aldi don't even bag what you buy for godsake lol. If that's tine with you....great !
That's what I like about Aldi! It's make thoughput at the cashier maybe 5X faster. The Aldi way is very smart since the checkout line is always the most frustrating part of any grocery store that doesn't do self checkout or that has lines at the self checkout section.* That and the shopping cart quarter that encourages people to bring back their shopping cart to the main stack in front of the store. And the much better prices.

I am a soon to be a former Californian. I'm here in California, with the heat turned on, right now clearing out my home to make the permanent move to Venice. This trip back to california I can't get out fast enough. Our shopping habits in California have been Trader Joes, Costco, and an ethnic produce store. Pretty much covered everything. Aldi's in Florida is a good substitute for TJ's (learned they have a literal brother relationship). But we also stop at TJ's in Sarasota when up there. And Detwillers.

* I had an observation at Winn-dixie a while back about how self checkout doesn't work too well in an area with an aging demographic, of which I am one. Lots of people aren't too speedy and end up needing help from the one employee working the self-check machines. I've been stuck in lines where half the self-checkout machines were bogged down with people needing help from the one guy. By the way, hat tip to that guy, or gal, or them/it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area