Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 08:37 AM

71 posts, read 65,263 times

Advertisements

most ruin the clearcoat on my cars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 05:33 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, fortunately the only time I heard of monkeys getting loose was after Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Apparently some monkeys escaped from the Monkey Jungle in southern Miami Dade county when the buildings were damaged. I remember there was a report of a child that was bitten by an escaped monkey and they must have thought she might get some sort of wierd disease from the bite. They took her to Miami Children's hospital for observation and treatment of the bites. I recall the news media made very brief mention of it, but not much, mostly because of HIPAA regulations, but also because the whole thing was just wierd. We were not even sure the monkey biting a kid was true- so many rumors swirl around after a hurricane. I worked at the hospital at the time, and struck up a conversation with a woman in the parking lot who turned out to be the mother of this child. So I guess it was true.

Never saw any loose monkeys after that.
I moved later to Hollywood and did some part time at Hertz it was east of the FT Laud airport there was a tall fence and then the typical deep brush behind it. We called it monkey row, because we see monkey families on the fence at dusk. Some would leave food or fruits by the fence for them. Those were the zoo escapees from Hurricane Andrew. Lol. But there was that one spotted in a tree all over town. I remember that. The aviary was destroyed but most birds stayed close and many recovered. Funny how I’ve never seen a dead bird after a hurricane passes.

Old 03-29-2023, 05:34 AM

25,728 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Did you know that there's a famous bird artist who has his studio in Ybor City (Tampa)?

He's featured in the current (April '23) Garden & Gun Magazine, & his name is John Costin. He does 2 art shows/yr in SW FLA in Naples & St. Pete.

He does "etchings", which is a type of print, made from thin metal plates. He finishes the finer detail in a special watercolor that doesn't fade. Most of his etchings are full-sized real-life scaled.

Rembrandt black & white etchings, so its been around for a long time. Not many do it anymore due to the time it takes (1+ yr for each).

There are just 2 artists left doing bird etchings in the USA, & Costin is 1 of them. He has a book o fhis works in the Library of Congress, & other museums. Raymond James Financial's HQ's lobby in St. Pete is filled w/ Costin's works.

I'm a proud owner of a Costin etching. Some of his life-sized ethings are investment grade, they wind up paying for themselves if you decide to sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area