Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 10:25 AM

8,099 posts, read 4,644,272 times

Advertisements

https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Analyzing the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2021 American Community Survey, HireAHelper researchers developed a composite score for small, mid and major metros to avoid if you hate commuting.

Florida ranked as the worst state for commuters in the country, registering a 100.0 composite score.

The Bradenton-Sarasota-North Port metro area ranked as the seventh-worst midsize metro in the U.S. for commute times.

The area had a 83.2 composite score and was one of seven midsize Florida cities to make the list.

The statistics for Bradenton and Sarasota are:

- Average one-way commute time: 24.9 minutes

- Share of workers who commute using private transportation: 80.1%

- Diversity of times that people leave for work: Below average

- Share of occupied households with access to a vehicle: 96.1%

- Population density: 662 people per square mile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 02:43 PM

The article from my original post was in today's Bradenton Herald - however I accessed it through a link in Google News. When accessed that way there was no paywall. However I've noticed that clicking the link in my original post (Google News) goes instead to the Bradenton Herald where the article is behind a paywall.

A workaround that works for me is to search Google news for the article and then in those search results you'll see the article listed on the top of the search results page. Clicking the article link from there is going to the Google News version without a paywall.

Here is the link for Google News search results for: "Florida Traffic Worst In US". From there click on the link for the article and it should work without a paywall:

https://news.google.com/search?q=flo...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Old 04-03-2023, 02:52 PM

Here's another option to read the exact same article without a paywall on Yahoo News:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-t...095000822.html

Old 04-03-2023, 08:46 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Not surprised... Several large, extremely sprawly metropolitan areas. Awful public transportation throughout. Outdated infrastructure throughout. Bunch of tourists. 22 million residents, the vast majority living on a narrow peninsula...

Old 04-03-2023, 11:38 PM

729 posts, read 1,300,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Analyzing the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2021 American Community Survey, HireAHelper researchers developed a composite score for small, mid and major metros to avoid if you hate commuting.

Florida ranked as the worst state for commuters in the country, registering a 100.0 composite score.

The Bradenton-Sarasota-North Port metro area ranked as the seventh-worst midsize metro in the U.S. for commute times.

The area had a 83.2 composite score and was one of seven midsize Florida cities to make the list.

The statistics for Bradenton and Sarasota are:

- Average one-way commute time: 24.9 minutes

- Share of workers who commute using private transportation: 80.1%

- Diversity of times that people leave for work: Below average

- Share of occupied households with access to a vehicle: 96.1%

- Population density: 662 people per square mile
I'll trade you 7th place for 6th, lol.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:08 AM

25,716 posts, read 12,786,330 times
I disagree with the methodology being used in this survey, especially for this forum area.

Why?

It doesn't take into account that we have so many retirees that don't work, & thus, don't commute at all.

90% of the people I know don't work, & I know 100+ people well enough to know if they work, or not.

In addition to retireess not commuting, snowbirds, tourists, & Spring breakers are not commuting either.

Where did they get the avg. commute times? I doubt they took all of these people who do not commute, into account...if they did, the average commute time would be <10 minutes.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:36 AM

562 posts, read 550,294 times
Coming from Chicago, this is laughable. The traffic here is nothing....

People just see a lot of cars, like in front of UTC; and say "OMG the traffic". But all those cars are moving and normally the speed limit.

I would many times spend 3-4 hours going into Chicago metro area when it was about 30 miles away. Traffic there means you are not even moving. This is all without even an accident, it is just every day traffic.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:51 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshan View Post

People just see a lot of cars, like in front of UTC; and say "OMG the traffic". But all those cars are moving and normally the speed limit.

I would many times spend 3-4 hours going into Chicago metro area when it was about 30 miles away. Traffic there means you are not even moving. This is all without even an accident, it is just every day traffic.
I agree. They put Lakeland-Winter Haven at 6th - that is a joke, there is no "real" traffic here at all. Bradenton/Sarasota is far worse for one thing.

Well maybe this list will help keep some people away.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:48 AM

518 posts, read 869,002 times
We were down for A couple weeks just returned back north 4/3/23. We were in North Port,Port Charlotte, Venice, and Sarasota, Traffic was not that bad, busy but moving. The only backup I seen was coming off the bridge at St. Armands circle. but to and from Fl. I-75 back ups were aweful, especially going through Atlanta. On a side note if you want get rich in SW FL. Open up a commercial sign company. 90% are blown out from Ian.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:53 AM

729 posts, read 1,300,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshan View Post

I spent time in Chicago in the late 90’s and I can attest that Chicago traffic beats out anything I’ve seen in the south, even Atlanta where I reside now. As a state, how does Illinois compare to Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area