Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:36 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,019 times

Advertisements

Found these fruit tree places on another forum but they are on the west cost of the US.

Citrus Trees

and:

Moon Valley Nurseries

We plan on doing extensive landscaping at the new place and definitely definitely definitely going to be planting a variety of fruit trees ranging from a transplanted navel orange from our house in Port Charlotte, a few Bannana's , a SE Asian Dragon Fruit, SE Asian Mangos ( all that we have growing here now ) and want more. Can anyone post a Florida company doing similar things to the above websites? Anything even remotely close to Englewood would be great but anywhere in Fla would be fine too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 01:44 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Mr. Tudo, here in Sarasota there is a place called Drymon's Citrus Nursery, and they have all kinds of citrus and other tropical fruit. They don't have a website that I can see, but I have purchased a couple plants from their booth at the farmer's market up here and they have nice plants at good prices. You might "google" them and give them a call. I personally think you will do better price-wise and plant-health wise to buy locally grown.

Today I bought a Eureka lemon for $25.00, a pretty good size little tree with fruits and buds all over it. I plan to buy many more plants from them in the future.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-28-2009, 03:49 PM

Thanks Gypsychick and I agree with you about buying locally

We just returned from a drive around the area. We're trying not to get too excited until we have the final ok from the sellers bank ( jeeeeez this takes a while ). The day that happens we'll be jumping up and down!

But we saw several nurseries up on 776. Didnt stop in because, again we don't want to get toooooo excited yet.

Anyone wanna buy a nice little house in Port Charlotte, Cheap? ( Stop it Tom Just Stop it, not toooo excited yet, remember? )

Heheh

Old 02-28-2009, 03:54 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
How cool.
My plan is to plant a lemon and avocado in my backyard. I love the warm weather here in Florida. I have also been thinking of some raised beds to plant a few other things. With the cost of groceries, it would be nice to grow my own.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:04 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,177 times
Mr.Tudo..

Besides the sites i referenced before in a past post,..check out Top Tropicals.com (all sorts of stuff), Plumeria gallery, Florida colors nursery..(mainly if you'd like to include Plumerias in your landscape..and while i can't say for certain..I think that Rare flora also sells exotic fruits and such,..along with all sorts of other neat things..

As for orchids..(if you wanted to also include some) i know there are places there but the only one which comes to mind is Byrd's up in Lakeland..

If you have any ?'s or would appreciate some pointers when designing your landscape..feel free to send a message..

Old 02-28-2009, 05:36 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
We are having a landscape architect come by and give us a design to improve the landscaping for our house. We have a couple palm trees that are in good shape, but I don't think that anyone put much thought into the landscaping at this house since Hurricane Charlie.

I'm looking forward to what they can do for us. I'm hoping to get a variety of fruit trees added into the mix.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:33 PM

My Wife is giving a url to a couple pictures of a garden we had built in our backyard.

It looks empty but when it was built we only had a few baby plants in it and some cat nip. ( I got tired of all the neighborhood cats coming into our backyard to get stoned by eating the catnip I planted for OUR cats. Then I was sick and tired of the birds and racoons eating and also pooping near our vegetables etc. I'll show you what became the solution in a little while.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:13 PM

Ok, hopefully this thing will accept images. I started this "quest" a couple of years ago. We saw tomatoes at 3 bucks a pound and I said enough is enough. Let's plant some. So we planted them next to our back patio and they came out so good that both my Wife and I decided to have a garden built.

I hired a handiman person who came and put 4 x 4's into cement as the base. Then chicken wire around it. I told him I wanted a gate and rather than build a gate which is what I wanted, he bought a gate, a white plastic one, the one that you see leaned up against the fence. It was ok but it didn't stop the racoons from going in there and pooping , and as soon as the cat nip matured, we caught all the neighborhood cats in there chomping away at our cats catnip. This had to stop! So I hired a different handiman to build a roof to the thing. While thinking more about this I also came up with an idea for irrigation. I had this guy buy some pvc pipe and run it underground from the water tap outside the side of the garage, to the garden, up and over it and put a sprinkler head on it. We bought a "Y" connector so that we could run both a hose and the new spinkler to the garden. The idea of course was to build something so that we could simply open the side door to the garage, turn the faucet on and sprinkle the garden. The handiman bought a fancy shmancy rotating toro head but it always got stuck up with something and the stream was too strong for the plants when they were babies and also too strong for the tomato plants when they got several feet tall. So I bought an old fashioned whole sprinkler head for $1.25 at home depot and voila! It works like a charm. Here's the finished garden:

Dang, it won't accept an image! I can input a url but there's no button or anything to click "continue" or "submit!

Anyone know how to post an image?

Old 02-28-2009, 09:27 PM

Best I can do:

http://vietventures.com/Images/garden/PA030002.jpg

http://vietventures.com/Images/garden/PA030005.jpg

http://vietventures.com/Images/garden/PA030006.jpg

Make sure you treat the wood really well with a Thompsons water seal type product or it will turn gray and dingy after a few months.

I had the spinkler on in these pics so you can easily see what that $1.25 sprinkler head can do. The interior dimensions of this garden is 11 feet X 11 feet. The spinkler head actually sprinkles beyond that. So when we build a new garden at the new house, we'll increase the size to 13 feet wide and 15 feet long. The width will be just fine but now it'll be too long for one head. No problemo, we'll add another head and everything will get an ample supply of water.

Also, we have to come up with a solution to the brass hinges and latch on the door from rusting. This stuff is so cheaply made that it rusts after a couple of rain events. I'm thinking to maybe spray them with a clear spray paint ( ? ). Anyone have any suggestions?

The base of this garden took a 75 yo man who had a stroke and was partially paraylyzed on one side a full day. The roof and new gate took a 65 year old retired builder a day. The "irrigation" took a 42 year old man about half a day. So I have to believe that a regular handiman could knock this thing out in 2 full days, no problem. With labor costs decreasing, I'm thinking $300-$400 bucks MAXIMUM for labor and roughly $600 bucks for materials.

We also removed several wheel barrel fulls of the crappy soil in there and replaced it with a rich soil that we bought from a soil/mulch place. We'll do that BEFORE building the structure the next time.

We have harvested hundreds of the best tomotoes you've ever had. Hundreds of essentially seedless tomoatoes that were absolutely wonderful and we KNOW what did not go in there while you do NOT know what type of "fertilizer" has gone into the ones from publix. My Wife loves Okra and the Okra we have harvested has been a nice lighter green color ( baby okra? ) which is way better than what comes from publiz. We've harvested many hundreds of okra. Dozens of wonderful baby eggplantsWe have also grown all kinds of peppers. Now we have tomatoes, peppers, hot peppers, cucumbers, eggplants, stringbeans, yellow tomatoes, and of course, catnip for the kitty kats which started this whole adventure

Feel free to ask any questions. This has been a really neat experience and we can't wait to close on the house over yonder and get a new and larger garden built. Along with the new fruit trees we will be planting, we hope to have a good majority of the fruits and vegetables grown right in our backyard. We will also probably try our hand at jarring next time too!

Last edited by MrTudo; 02-28-2009 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Added the last paragraph

Old 03-01-2009, 05:44 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
Great structure Mr. T. You should visit
Florida garden forum
Florida Gardening Forum - GardenWeb
and share your photos and info. A great group of people all over Florida who love to share garden info.
There was a discussion not too long ago about "how to keep animals out of the garden", guns were mentioned (ugh). Your solution would be of interest.
I don't have that problem, just nematodes, whitefly and fruitworms, lol.

In answer to your first question you must visit ECHO in Ft. Myers, the be-all and end-all of fruit trees and grow-your-own-food. They have a nursery open mornings only and a big Open House coming up on March 14 with demonstrations. Not high prices on their trees/plants either. I bought a sapodilla there for half what other people wanted.

ECHO nursery
ECHO: Networking Global Hunger Solutions

Farm Day at ECHO on March 14th 2009
ECHO: Networking Global Hunger Solutions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area