Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:50 PM

242 posts, read 1,186,885 times

Advertisements

That is one thing I do not like Thunderstorms. Aeons ago, I was thinking about moving to Naples, FLorida, but changed my mind and moved to the island of Maui, in the state of Hawaii instead. Just because it was an island. Was living there for 21 years, and only encounted the first thunderstorm which was " minor" Feb. 1978, another one in Jan. 1980 ( a hurricane) which flooded South Kihei Road and cut power to some places. and a minor Thunderstorm in later 1980's. MAUI has the perfect ideal weather. WHAT are your THUNDERSTORMS like and you get them MOSTLY IN SUMMER? How often do you get them. I read that FLORIDA is the THUNDERSTORM CAPITAL STATE.. ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 06:57 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
If you don't like thunderstorms, DON'T move anywhere in Florida. They are here every summer, many of them bad. It's just the way it is here.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:06 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,136,591 times
Tampa Bay is the thunderstorm capital.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 PM

831 posts, read 2,437,038 times
Well Sarasota has been in a drought since I moved here in 2005 so we haven't seen many thunderstorms. When they do hit they don't last very long.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:38 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,927,336 times
During the "rainy season" which is June through Sept we will see storms almost everyday somewhere in Florida. Through Oct to May thunderstorms are rare but can occur during a front. Tampa is the lighting capital of the world.

Tropical systems need water temps at 80 degrees or higher so "Hurricane season" is from June through November.

Most summer storms are short lived.

I enjoy the summer storms, all that energy, the ground shakes, the cool air drops and spreads and the temps drop 10 degrees in minutes. Inches of rain fall in less than an hour, then the sky clears.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:08 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,083,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
During the "rainy season" which is June through Sept we will see storms almost everyday somewhere in Florida. Through Oct to May thunderstorms are rare but can occur during a front. Tampa is the lighting capital of the world.

Tropical systems need water temps at 80 degrees or higher so "Hurricane season" is from June through November.

Most summer storms are short lived.

I enjoy the summer storms, all that energy, the ground shakes, the cool air drops and spreads and the temps drop 10 degrees in minutes. Inches of rain fall in less than an hour, then the sky clears.
In Maryland, our house is on the crest of a hill that overlooks the Towson Maryland area. We've lost 4 significant trees - smallest exceeding 36" inches do to thunderstorms and lightniing strikes. We lost two almost matching 36" Oak trees in one storm. One of the strikes blew the top half of the tree right off the base, leaving a tree stump that was about 25 feet high, with the rest of the tree landing 8 feet away!

But, I don't contest that Florida has a lot more storms and they are all dangerous potentially! Whenever and whereever they hit, they can do significant damage.

I still love to see the lightning fliying across the sky!

Old 03-21-2009, 02:12 PM

242 posts, read 1,186,885 times
Default How Often does this area get THUNDERSTORMS

Hello, I want to say,thank you, to each one of you people who told me about the THUNDERSTORMS. Does not sound like a very fun summer, with T-Storms interupting swim days n the pool and goin to the beaches. SO oh TAMPA is the CAPITAL... Did not say I was moving to FLORIDA, just asked about THUNDERSTORMS. I have been to FLORIDA a few times, Once Lived in Sarasota for 3 months but I was only 3 years young at the time.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:12 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,083,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapalua View Post
Hello, I want to say,thank you, to each one of you people who told me about the THUNDERSTORMS. Does not sound like a very fun summer, with T-Storms interupting swim days n the pool and goin to the beaches. SO oh TAMPA is the CAPITAL... Did not say I was moving to FLORIDA, just asked about THUNDERSTORMS. I have been to FLORIDA a few times, Once Lived in Sarasota for 3 months but I was only 3 years young at the time.

In the summer you usually get afternoon showers and some thunderstorms everyday. They usually last for an hour an then they're gone. I think you get used to it, and it doesn't bother you. It helps your lawn and landscaping.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:16 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,927,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapalua View Post
Does not sound like a very fun summer, with T-Storms interupting swim days n the pool and goin to the beaches.
When I first moved to Florida I would watch the thunderstorms build east of 75 and change my plans. It didn't take long to learn that just because the storms were in the area, it didn't mean that I was going to see the rain. The sea breeze that develops along the west coast keeps much of the weather in the interior. So now I don't change my plans because of the weather, if it comes so be it.
Last summer I was out in Charlotte Harbor fishing tarpon and shark and saw a band of storms moving in from the north west (not the usual pattern) and we pulled in the baits and headed to Burnt Store Marina for an early dinner. The storm went through and we went back out. In fact summer in Florida is very fun, you just need to be flexible.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:36 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,728,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
If you don't like thunderstorms, DON'T move anywhere in Florida. They are here every summer, many of them bad. It's just the way it is here.
Gypsychic is correct. Most summers we have thunderstorms every day. Now this doesn't mean that it rains, because it doesn't always. Sometimes we just get thunder, and that's it, and vice-versa, sometimes it rains and no thunder. However, most of Florida goes though this, normally from June to October maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Tampa Bay is the thunderstorm capital.
How true!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area