Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 AM

379 posts, read 1,418,838 times

Advertisements

and the top two elementary schools...also, info on full day kindergarten.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 09:07 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
This is strictly my opinion being a mom of three kids in Sarasota county-top two elementary schools, Pine View would be number one in my opinion. I may be a little biased since I have two kids that go there. Then runners up are north Sarasota county would be Ashton, Southside, Lakeview. Mid county would be Englewood, Taylor Ranch and Venice and south county would be Cranberry and Lamarque and possibly Toledo Blade for their gifted program. Here's a list of the Sarasota county schools: http://www.sarasotacountyschools.net/schools.aspx The majority of the schools in Sarasota county are "A" rated, so I think you are pretty safe for the most part. The above schools that I mentioned are either schools that I attended as a child, my children attended or friends children have attended and haven given good reviews on.

The info on full day kindergarten is that the child has to 5 on or before Sept. 1 to attend kindergarten. If they are not five by that date but they are 4 on or before Sept 1st they would qualify for voluntary Pre-K. Which is from 8am-11 am, five days a week. It is free and most preschools have this.

Most schools start between 8:30-9:15 and they and end at 3:15. The exception to this rule would be Pine View which begins at 9:15 and ends at 4pm.

Now on to neighborhoods in Palmer Ranch-Deer Creek, The Hamptons, Turtle Rock, Stonebridge, Mira Lago, Huntington Pointe. Each of these areas has a full school bus of kids that are picked up. That would tell me that there are probably kids running around playing. Many of the families that have kids that go to Pine View live in Rivendell and in Palmer Ranch because of it's close proximity to the school.

Also my kids have a lot of friends that live in the downtown Sarasota area-Citrus Ave, Osprey Ave area.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-30-2009, 09:13 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
A family neighborhood within walking/bike riding distance to Lakewood Elementary would be Lake Sarasota

Old 04-30-2009, 11:39 AM

Thank you for the info. Up north, many schools only offer half day kindergarten, sound like from what you are telling me, the standard kindergarten hours for all schools are the same as the other grades.

Also, if you know, if a child started late in the year, say January, would they be guaranteed a spot in the school of their district?...my son would be 6 by then, perhaps transferring from Massachusetts.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:47 AM

831 posts, read 2,437,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarynO View Post
Thank you for the info. Up north, many schools only offer half day kindergarten, sound like from what you are telling me, the standard kindergarten hours for all schools are the same as the other grades.

Also, if you know, if a child started late in the year, say January, would they be guaranteed a spot in the school of their district?...my son would be 6 by then, perhaps transferring from Massachusetts.

When I moved to Sarasota from NJ it was in March. My kids attended Ashton and had no problem getting in. One thing you may not be aware of is that you must go the County Health Department and show them a record of all the shots your kids received. They transfer this information onto another form and it has to be submitted to the school. Its been a couple of years since I had to do it so you may want to check out the schools admittance policies.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
When I moved to Sarasota from NJ it was in March. My kids attended Ashton and had no problem getting in. One thing you may not be aware of is that you must go the County Health Department and show them a record of all the shots your kids received. They transfer this information onto another form and it has to be submitted to the school. Its been a couple of years since I had to do it so you may want to check out the schools admittance policies.
Are you happy with your move & do you think it was a good move for you kids? Lots of activities etc..and how about the sense of neighborhood and community?

Thanks

Old 04-30-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Good point dmccauley, They would need a recent physical and shot record to enter into school. It's what's referred to as the blue and gold forms.

There are boundary lines for each school so it goes by where ever the home you purchase/rent is located. Your child would then go to that school.

I am not aware of any half day kindergarten. As far as I know they are all full day.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 PM

831 posts, read 2,437,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarynO View Post
Are you happy with your move & do you think it was a good move for you kids? Lots of activities etc..and how about the sense of neighborhood and community?

Thanks

I was hesitant to answer this only because I feel that it really depends on the type of lifestyle that your accustom to as well as your own personal situation. I came from a small town in NJ, where I had lived my entire life. My father was a cop so I pretty much knew everyone. I was recently divorced and tired of the small town gossip and the weather and really wanted a change for myself and my three children. The neighborhood I chose is very friendly and convenient to everything. When the kids go out to play it is always after 4pm when the weather is a little more tolerable. I am pleased with the Ashton Elementary and Sarasota Middle School. The first year of living here was exciting (I moved here 4 years ago). A new home and of course that means new furniture and decorating, enjoying the weather in the winter when people up north were freezing. After the newness wore off I began to realize that I really missed the small town feel that I had left. Living in Sarasota is quite different then what I was accustom to. I found it strange to go to the grocery store and not know one single person, or drive down the road and never pass anyone I knew. I met a few people here but really haven't met anyone that I would consider a "friend". My children adapted very well in school, remember most people that live here are from some place else so the children are all experiencing the same thing. I feel that if I had a significant other when I moved here maybe I would not feel the way I do, and could have adapted a little better, however at this point I am trying to go back to NJ. I just miss being surrounded by my friends and family and support system. I miss the hometown feel and sense of community. My children are not as active here as they were up north. The cold did not bother my kids, they were outside riding bikes when it was freezing, here I find them to be more couch potatos with the heat. We did try and get involved in the sports however the children were not with the kids they went to school with and the schedules were not that convenient. The programs here are run by the county. For instance cheerleeding was at 7:30pm during the week. My daughter was exhausted after being in school, then homework to get motivated to go this late and it ended at 9pm. The only advice I could give is don't expect to live in Florida the same way you vacation here. Your going to have to do the same exact things you do now except it will be in the air conditioning.lol On a final note, I won't hesitate coming back to Sarasota for all my vacations and I can't say that I won't ever live here again however it will be when I am much older and able to accept the slower pace.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:58 PM

Here's some more info on schools in Sarasota county Just click on Sarasota county and select whatever schools you want to take a look at:
School Accountability Report...

Old 05-01-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseylakeshore View Post
Sarasota is an absolutely beautiful place! Great schools is another website to research the schools. Another great way to tour neighborhoods online is going to google maps and clicking street view.

Lindsey
www.floridamoms.org
The online place to meet other Florida moms
Doesn't look like there's a whole lot of action on the floridamoms website but hopefully there will be. I think it's a great idea and a neat way to meet up with other moms. Hope it catches on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area