Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,944 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in our early 70's and looking to rent or buy as 4-month snow-birds in the Sarasota area. We're planning to stay at the Ritz Carleton Sarasota for a week in February just to check out the area. We're looking for an upscale single level home or condo with nice, trendy restaurants, cafes and shops within a very short walking distance of our home/unit. All meals will be out. We'd like access to a heated pool (private if possible) and a nice beach or bay view. Maid service would be preferred. Have a car and will need parking (preferably valet) but have some concerns about safety of the vehicle (Bentley). Budget is flexible. Really don't know the area but it was highly recommended by friends. Last trip was to Fl was to South Seas Plantation on Captiva in 2001 and loved it. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 06:20 PM

53 posts, read 53,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDB7 View Post
My wife and I are in our early 70's and looking to rent or buy as 4-month snow-birds in the Sarasota area. We're planning to stay at the Ritz Carleton Sarasota for a week in February just to check out the area. We're looking for an upscale single level home or condo with nice, trendy restaurants, cafes and shops within a very short walking distance of our home/unit. All meals will be out. We'd like access to a heated pool (private if possible) and a nice beach or bay view. Maid service would be preferred. Have a car and will need parking (preferably valet) but have some concerns about safety of the vehicle (Bentley). Budget is flexible. Really don't know the area but it was highly recommended by friends. Last trip was to Fl was to South Seas Plantation on Captiva in 2001 and loved it. Any suggestions?
How much is upscale for you ? Upscale for me is $75,000,,,,, different strokes for different folks.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,955 times
You'll enjoy the Ritz. Their valet service is full of tip beggars, but does the job in enclosed parking. I have no suggestions on where to actually live, though. But the Ritz will be fine with your Bentley. I stayed there on my first wedding night and they valet'd a RR Phantom for me without issue. You dont commonly see our type of cars around town, but they are out there, and people are always respectful. I've had 2 Lamborghinis, 1 Rolls Royce, a Lotus Elise, 3 Hummer H1's, and a bunch of other mid-exotic cars and never had a problem in Sarasota or Bradenton. I've even taken the Lamborghini to the grocery store and in shopping center parking lots without any incidents. People are very respectful, and enough are looking at the cars that random thugs dont try any funny business because of all the people staring at them. That was a few years ago, I've grown up and now just drive a Buick after being tired of having exotic cars for 18 years.

When you do move here, friendly places for your car to eat out include ever restaurant with Valet in St Armands Circle, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse on 301, Flemings on 301, and pretty much all upscale restaurants. St Armands Circle is the most enjoyable with respect to eating and then walking a few laps around after. And restaurants without valet will also be fine with your car. If you head to Main Street in Sarasota, there's a car detailing place that operates out of the bottom of the movie theaters parking garage. They do an excellent detail job and guard your car the entire time. I'd recommend getting it spit shined there if your around that area eating.

Good luck, welcome to the area and enjoy your retirement years.

Ben

Old 09-19-2013, 07:51 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
You'll enjoy the Ritz. I stayed there on my first wedding night and they valet'd a RR Phantom for me without issue.

I've had 2 Lamborghinis, 1 Rolls Royce, a Lotus Elise, 3 Hummer H1's, and a bunch of other mid-exotic cars and never had a problem in Sarasota or Bradenton. I've grown up and now just drive a Buick after being tired of having exotic cars for 18 years.

Ben
Oh Ben, you are cracking me up. How many wedding nights have you had? Which wife got the Lamborghini? Somehow the idea of tearing around Sarasota in a Lamborghini or Lotus just seems so incongruous that it cracks me up. But I said that already. You know. Senility. Repeating myself. But thanks for the smile. Do you ever forget you are in a Buick now? Give it the gas and nothing happens?

Original poster--Regarding your Bentley, please be advised that backing out of parking spaces in Sarasota can be very dangerous for your car. Some, in the older population, have stiff necks that make it hard for them to look behind them when backing up. On my brief trips to Sarasota, I have had many close calls in parking lots. I would start to back up when the coast was clear and before I could finish, someone on the opposite side of the isle would also back out headed for the same spot I was in. Now I have Hubby stand outside the car to warn me.

Last edited by Cardiff by the Sea; 09-19-2013 at 08:04 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Oh Ben, you are cracking me up. How many wedding nights have you had? Which wife got the Lamborghini? Somehow the idea of tearing around Sarasota in a Lamborghini or Lotus just seems so incongruous that it cracks me up. But I said that already. You know. Senility. Repeating myself. But thanks for the smile. Do you ever forget you are in a Buick now? Give it the gas and nothing happens?
My practice wife didnt work well. But you should see my upgrade, she's a gem! My permanent wife doesnt like flashy things. I cant blame her, money is better invested than depreciated.

Passing MLK on 301 was always fun in the Lambo to rev the engine loud. You should see those crack heads at the park on the benches. Always did make me laugh.

I love my Buick. More so than my first wife. Go figure. Its even better at sex!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I think you have a future in commercials.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:25 AM

509 posts, read 907,304 times
Quote:
No wonder it didn't work with number 1.

You've had sex with the Buick? I think I saw your story on a tv program called "Taboo".

Old 09-20-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
No wonder it didn't work with number 1.

You've had sex with the Buick? I think I saw your story on a tv program called "Taboo".
The tailpipe is enormous!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:29 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDB7 View Post
Not to change the subject from sex with cars, but the OP sounds like either a boor, a flamer, or Thurston Howell III. If this guy were serious, he'd have his own concierge finding out this info for him, not CD. Maybe his butler. Maybe Gilligan.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Not to change the subject from sex with cars, but the OP sounds like either a boor, a flamer, or Thurston Howell III. If this guy were serious, he'd have his own concierge finding out this info for him, not CD. Maybe his butler. Maybe Gilligan.
You are probably right. Had again. My initial take is hey, the rich need a roof too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area