Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 12:59 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,547 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We've been coming to Siesta Key with our kids for the last 4 years. However we typically come in late September / early October.

This year, I was forced to take 2 weeks mandatory vacation in early July, which along with another one in January would've wiped out my vacation time for this year. So we booked our usual trip for the first two weeks in July.

I've been looking at Sarasota weather for the last month or so, and it seems there's a thunderstorm practically every day. Our rented place is a short drive off the beach, but it does take quite a bit of packing to get kids & all that comes with them in / out of the car and to the beach.

So, the question for the locals - how bad is the rain ? How long does it usually last ? What is the best time to come to the beach to avoid the rain ? Is it safe to go in the water right after it stops raining (I read somewhere that's when sharks are coming closer to shore, following the fish).

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 01:17 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Hi,

We've been coming to Siesta Key with our kids for the last 4 years. However we typically come in late September / early October.

This year, I was forced to take 2 weeks mandatory vacation in early July, which along with another one in January would've wiped out my vacation time for this year. So we booked our usual trip for the first two weeks in July.

I've been looking at Sarasota weather for the last month or so, and it seems there's a thunderstorm practically every day. Our rented place is a short drive off the beach, but it does take quite a bit of packing to get kids & all that comes with them in / out of the car and to the beach.

So, the question for the locals - how bad is the rain ? How long does it usually last ? What is the best time to come to the beach to avoid the rain ? Is it safe to go in the water right after it stops raining (I read somewhere that's when sharks are coming closer to shore, following the fish).

Thanks !
June through November is considered the "wet" season. Storms usually are in the afternoon from 3 p.m. on and usually start inland & work their way out to the beach. How long it lasts is anybody's guesss. Depends on the weather gods. It is not safe to go in the water if the sky is still looking stormy. I don't know about the shark closer to shore thing....but there are sharks closer to shore than you think, anyhow.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
June through November is considered the "wet" season. Storms usually are in the afternoon from 3 p.m. on and usually start inland & work their way out to the beach. How long it lasts is anybody's guesss. Depends on the weather gods. It is not safe to go in the water if the sky is still looking stormy. I don't know about the shark closer to shore thing....but there are sharks closer to shore than you think, anyhow.
So it sounds that going to the beach in the morning and staying in the pool after the lunch should work fine

What's unsafe about swimming in the rain, then ? The waves ?

Old 06-29-2009, 03:32 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,256 times
Lightening

Old 06-29-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
Lightening
Oh, how dumb of me

Looking forward to the white sand, even if it's wet !

Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 PM

65 posts, read 295,917 times
the thunder and lightening storms and their dramatic clouds can be fun and exciting to watch. just from a safe place. like the lanai of hotel room, or from inside your rental home. not so fun or safe to watch while you are in the water.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:46 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
So it sounds that going to the beach in the morning and staying in the pool after the lunch should work fine

What's unsafe about swimming in the rain, then ? The waves ?
"If the thunder don't get ya, then the lightening will" (good ol grateful dead songs contain all the answers).

Tampa Bay area is the number #1 lightening capital of the United States.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:03 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Don't expect 2 weeks of sunshine in the summer, although the sun usually shines for a few hours over 300 days a year. Rain rarely lasts for more than an hour, usually much less. Although a typical summer day is sunshine from about 7 to 2 and rain in the late afternoon, right now it's raining heavily and it's 12:30. Forecast for tomorrow is mostly cloudy. However, the rain is refreshing and, if you lived in Florida, you'd be one of those people who say "Thank goodness it's raining. We really need it!"

I used to visit Sarasota a lot and found many things to do on a cloudy day. Since you've been here before, you're probably familiar with these places, but I thought I'd mention a few anyway. Depending on the age of your children, you might enjoy going to Circus Sarasota, Mote Marine Laboratory or the Planetarium and Manatee Aquarium at the museum in Bradenton. There is also a Science Museum called G.WIZ, an acronym for Gulfcoast Wonder & Imagination Zone.

(just a personal note. I never would recommend a circus that cages & abuses wild animals. the above attractions are different.)

Don't be afraid of lightning, but respect its power and follow safety guidelines.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,883 times
When i lived in the NE it would be grey skies for day and rainy. thats why i like it here sunny most all day then an afternoon thunderstorm to cool things down then the sun usualy come out again before you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area