Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:37 PM

65 posts, read 295,917 times

Advertisements

howdy-
i need to put a new roof on my house. it must be tile (cement or coated metal or clay) because of hoa rules. i have gotten some quotes. cement tile is most affordable, then metal tile, then clay tile. (i will not be getting clay.) affordability is an issue.

anyone have any thoughts on cement tile vs coated metal tile. (i like the look of both- they look about the same when they are on the whole roof.) the metal is about 5 or 6 grand more. i am very much leaning towards getting the cement tile- due to its lower price. but my roofer says that the metal roof is much, much better at withstanding a hurricane. he says that in the future the metal tile roofs will probably be much more in demand due to that fact and that it is longer lasting, etc. just better in general- he says.

what do you think???

thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:59 AM

325 posts, read 1,023,849 times
From my experience as a Remodeling Contractor, when it comes to Storm related issues that the metal will withstand 130 MPH windloads better than Cement. When Charlie hit that was the first thing I noticed was the any type of tile roof bacame a missle. Check the fastening system on both if they both are the same then stick with the lower price.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuild View Post
From my experience as a Remodeling Contractor, when it comes to Storm related issues that the metal will withstand 130 MPH windloads better than Cement. When Charlie hit that was the first thing I noticed was the any type of tile roof bacame a missle. Check the fastening system on both if they both are the same then stick with the lower price.
K-build is right, you need to understand the wind load issues between the two types of roof. Make sure the substrate (plywood) that the tile will be fastened to is in good shape, and remember that the roof tile is really not what keeps your house dry in the rain. It is the felt paper. I recommend at least getting new 30 lb. felt paper be funished and installed with the new roof, and possibly add another layer of felt as well.

Good Luck!
move-on-up, Hey you were renting - did you buy a house?

Old 07-29-2009, 03:56 PM

hey K and Big--
thanks to you both for replying!!! I met w roofer today- I signed contract for the cement tile roof- after thinking about it- weighing pros and cons. the $6 grand less in price was the main factor. and also i like the look (color) of the certain cement tile better. this roofer i think will do a very good job with the installation of roof- and the underlayment thing. i will check that the plywood is good or be replaced. and that the fastening system for new roof is good.

big- yes i did buy a house! i am fixing it up now. (aka roof etc) more details in the future!

Old 07-29-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on-up! View Post
hey K and Big--
thanks to you both for replying!!! I met w roofer today- I signed contract for the cement tile roof- after thinking about it- weighing pros and cons. the $6 grand less in price was the main factor. and also i like the look (color) of the certain cement tile better. this roofer i think will do a very good job with the installation of roof- and the underlayment thing. i will check that the plywood is good or be replaced. and that the fastening system for new roof is good.

big- yes i did buy a house! i am fixing it up now. (aka roof etc) more details in the future!
Congratulations! I'm really happy for you! You have been working constantly and progressing to this goal for a long time, including moving here, and everything.

When he takes the existing roof off, you want to have him carefully examine the plywood roof substrate to make sure it is firm and in good shape. Every time you replace a roof you want to do that, because after all you are putting a lot of money in to a new roof on top of it.

After that inspection you want to make sure they add new felt paper ((I would check the roof tile manufacturer's recommendations)) and make sure that he installs the new roof in accordance with their installation manual (which I would also ask for). I say this because I am (maybe falsely assuming you are not an expert at installing roofs. I would at a minimum add a layer of 30# felt paper, and it should be roof lapped, and I would add a layer of ice and water shield in all the valleys where the roof slopes come together. Down here you don't need to worry about ice dams, but at all joints and building connections you want that extra protection (and it is the cheapest part of the work!) The felt and ice and water shield is your water barrier protection. The shingles do not make your roof water tight believe it or not. Also, the existing felt paper has been punctured with a lot of nails from the existing roof, and will be pretty damaged anyway when they take up the older roof.

Make sure all the nail / fasterners recommended by the roof manufacturer are used as well.

You really want to get the installation instructions from the tile manufacturer. Most of these roofs come with a 50 year warrantee now, but only if thier instructions are followed to the T when installing their products.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy your new home!

Old 07-30-2009, 05:11 AM

Depending on your location, you will have a " Dry-in inspection" this is were the inspector will check for underlayment and metal work on flashing. Good Luck $6,000.00 is quite a savings $$$$!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:36 PM

209 posts, read 452,449 times
Just curious -- how long are the 3 types mentioned above expected to last in FL (barring any hurricanes)? I had a guy that sold homes for Gulfpointe Builders say they might only last 12-15 years. Gulfpointe built in Palmer Ranch and is building now in Trillium and a few other areas.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:28 PM

what i have been told- by roofers
cement tile lasts about 25 years
coated metal tile is more of a lifetime product
clay tile- very very long lasting also

i sure as ---- hope my new roof will last much longer that only 15 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on-up! View Post
what i have been told- by roofers
cement tile lasts about 25 years
coated metal tile is more of a lifetime product
clay tile- very very long lasting also

i sure as ---- hope my new roof will last much longer that only 15 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been a builder my whole life, and I have to say that the warrantees that they sell you are weak at best! In order to hope to collect anything on them, you need to have the manufacturer's rep come out preconstruction, during construction, and after construction and write a letter each time stating that the work was installed in accordance with their instructions. They will use every avenue possible in order to minimize their costs, maximize the use of thier disclaimers if there ever is a problem. You really need to make sure that the felt underlayment is installed correctly and is well roof lapped, because that is what really keeps your roof water tight. It is a very important part of the roofing system. The manufacturers have to compete with each other, and many make warrantee claims to back up their products that they can't keep and know that after a few years most people will never collect on them.

Who is the manufacture? If you are using one of the larger manufacturer's you are probably buying a well tested system, and a good product. Many of the new systems have not been tested for the duration of the warrantee period stated, they are relying on the performance of intergral components that are a part of the system, and not performance in the specific capasity, and compatibility in the system, and variable weather/sun/salt/environmental characteristics that they must perform under.

OK., I belabored the cautions and things to consider enough. My bet is that you can expect to exceed the 15 year life span you mentioned. I think you will do better than that so long as you do not experience a major wind event. I bet it is going to look beautiful too!

I love the tile roof look in SWFL! It is really cool! Unforturnately the house I bought has a standing seam metal roof. It is a very good roof too, but just not the look I prefer.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:12 AM

I have to agree with Big House. Warranties are only as good as the Roofing company installing them. If that company goes out of business or the tiles are installed improperly then the Manufacturer has an escape to get out of the warranty. Talk with the manufacturer about the warranty on the product. And then read the fine print.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area