Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:35 AM

8,266 posts, read 4,666,091 times

Advertisements

Hi! I recently moved to Sarasota and I\'m not able to get any reception on my television with just a rabitt ears antenna (I\'ve got a brand new HD TV but I had the same problem with another older TV -- So I know the problem is not my tv set). I saw an ad (with DishNetwork) for what seemed like a great deal -- Free intallation, Free HD DVR, and many other goodies included. Then when I called DishNetwork to sign up for this great special deal --- they ran a credit check on me and the rep said \"sorry sir you don\'t qualify for that special deal -- if you want that deal you will have to pay $347 up front in advance\". They then said I qualified for a diferent deal (that wasn\'t nearly as good. no HD DVR included and I\'d still have to pay about $135 in advance). My question is has this happened to any of you out there also? This kind of seems like it\'s almost a bait and switch tactic that borders on shady business practices. Yes I undertand that they check credit ratings --but how high does one credit score have to be to get the great deal that they advertise all over???? I asked them and they refused to answer. I also asked them what specifically was wrong with my credit report and they refused to answer. Hmmm. This seemed a bit odd to me because when I moved here and opened a new bank account the Suntrust bank checked my credit report and said it was fine, so did Verizon when I ordered new phone service in my name, and also after I called DishNetwork I called Comcast Cable (to compare services) and Comcast Cable ran a credit check and said my credit was fine!). I then tried the other satellite company DirectTV -- and I was fed basically the same line as Dishnet fed me -- that I cannot get their great deal but if I wanted I could get another deal and pay money up front. I called TransUnion amd Equifax and they sent me a copy of my credit report -- it showed not one negative thing on it! I owe nobody a dime and I have never defaulted on a bill. However because I generally prefer to buy things with cash -- there was really nothing on it altogether. Doesn\'t seem fair that just because I buy things with cash (it should be my perogative) that this means I have bad credit???? Or should I say my credit might be OK to good -- but not in the elite status necessary to qualify for the satellite companies bait and switch rip-off scheme???? Any way Comcast seems a bit higher priced for service compared to DishNet -- so now I\'m tryng to decide which service for tv I should sign up for. Any suggestions???? By the way --I just live in an apartment so I\'m not sure how long I\'ll be living here (well I have a lease until May 1st) --and the Satellite companies want me to sign up for 24 months to get special deals -- then if I move before 24 months and discontinue service I would owe early cancellation fees. I also checked with Verizon Fios service but it\'s not available yet in my area. Has anyone ever tried \"free to air\" satellte tv??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 11:10 AM

175 posts, read 543,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Hi! I recently moved to Sarasota and I\'m not able to get any reception on my television with just a rabitt ears antenna (I\'ve got a brand new HD TV but I had the same problem with another older TV -- So I know the problem is not my tv set). I saw an ad (with DishNetwork) for what seemed like a great deal -- Free intallation, Free HD DVR, and many other goodies included. Then when I called DishNetwork to sign up for this great special deal --- they ran a credit check on me and the rep said \"sorry sir you don\'t qualify for that special deal -- if you want that deal you will have to pay $347 up front in advance\". They then said I qualified for a diferent deal (that wasn\'t nearly as good. no HD DVR included and I\'d still have to pay about $135 in advance). My question is has this happened to any of you out there also? This kind of seems like it\'s almost a bait and switch tactic that borders on shady business practices. Yes I undertand that they check credit ratings --but how high does one credit score have to be to get the great deal that they advertise all over???? I asked them and they refused to answer. I also asked them what specifically was wrong with my credit report and they refused to answer. Hmmm. This seemed a bit odd to me because when I moved here and opened a new bank account the Suntrust bank checked my credit report and said it was fine, so did Verizon when I ordered new phone service in my name, and also after I called DishNetwork I called Comcast Cable (to compare services) and Comcast Cable ran a credit check and said my credit was fine!). I then tried the other satellite company DirectTV -- and I was fed basically the same line as Dishnet fed me -- that I cannot get their great deal but if I wanted I could get another deal and pay money up front. I called TransUnion amd Equifax and they sent me a copy of my credit report -- it showed not one negative thing on it! I owe nobody a dime and I have never defaulted on a bill. However because I generally prefer to buy things with cash -- there was really nothing on it altogether. Doesn\'t seem fair that just because I buy things with cash (it should be my perogative) that this means I have bad credit???? Or should I say my credit might be OK to good -- but not in the elite status necessary to qualify for the satellite companies bait and switch rip-off scheme???? Any way Comcast seems a bit higher priced for service compared to DishNet -- so now I\'m tryng to decide which service for tv I should sign up for. Any suggestions???? By the way --I just live in an apartment so I\'m not sure how long I\'ll be living here (well I have a lease until May 1st) --and the Satellite companies want me to sign up for 24 months to get special deals -- then if I move before 24 months and discontinue service I would owe early cancellation fees. I also checked with Verizon Fios service but it\'s not available yet in my area. Has anyone ever tried \"free to air\" satellte tv??
It could be that because you don't actually use credit, you have a low credit score. Perversely, you have to have credit and use it to get a good score. Was your score below 600?

Old 08-01-2009, 12:07 PM

Scots I don\'t know what my credit score is because the credit bureaus require a fee to tell me what my score is (another rip-off I believe) -- thus I just ordered my credit report (which is offered for free and not the same thing as the credit score). Mainly I wanted to make sure there were no mistakes on my credit report and that I wasn\'t the victim of identity theft. I believe my credit score is at least OK -- because Verizon approved me for phone service without a deposit and Comcast Cable approved me. Anyway I just got a letter in the mail from Dish Network today. It states: \"Thank you for inquiring about Dish Network programming services. We regret that we are unable to approve your application for a new promotion at this time for the following reason: Unable to verify credit references with information provided\". I might add that I have had utility sevice in my name for decades, been a renter for decades, had a checking account for decades. I have a Visa card but it\'s really a check card. But I have never purchased a car, house or items at a department store on credit. As I mentioned my Trans Union credit report is totally clean -- but shows really nothing at all listed. Oh well.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:38 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Comcast is more than Dish & Direct. You can sign up for the satellite deals & when you move you just transfer service. If you get told that you don't qualify for the promotion, there's something somewhere in your records that you might not know about.

You will not get reception with the bunny ears; we've already gone through the switch to digital tv and that signal won't pick up with the ears.

Good luck.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 AM

Yeah, I think Ladywithafan is right, there's probably something in your credit history, or else you just have a low score which could be because you don't use credit enough. As I said if you pay cash for everything and don't have/use credit cards you can actually end up with a bad score. Although you have to pay to get your credit score from one of the big three, it might be worth it just to see what it is. Alternatively your bank or mortgage company will know your score and may be willing to share it with you.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 AM

Try out Quizzle. It'll give you a ball park figure.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:41 AM

Hello. I got my credit report from Trans Union a few days ago and have it right here in front of me now -- there is nothing listed (no bad reports) -- it has my correct address and it shows that my bank, Comcast Cable, Dishnet, DirectTV and Verizon have recently inquired about my credit. One thing was odd was that Dishnet asked for my Credit Card for verification -- so I gave them my new Visa check card number. They then stated they were going to verify my credit card with my bank (and that I would be assessed a $25 hold to my bank account for a few days -- as that is part of the authorization process. They claim this is not the same thing as a $25 charge to my account and that they do it for all new customers for verification (in addition to a credit check). Well guess what? I called my bank to make sure there was no problem with my Visa check card and I was told everything is fine AND that Dishnet never even contacted my bank nor made the $25 hold to my account. Hmmm -this smells like rotten eggs to me. -

Old 08-03-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Hello. I got my credit report from Trans Union a few days ago and have it right here in front of me now -- there is nothing listed (no bad reports) -- it has my correct address and it shows that my bank, Comcast Cable, Dishnet, DirectTV and Verizon have recently inquired about my credit. One thing was odd was that Dishnet asked for my Credit Card for verification -- so I gave them my new Visa check card number. They then stated they were going to verify my credit card with my bank (and that I would be assessed a $25 hold to my bank account for a few days -- as that is part of the authorization process. They claim this is not the same thing as a $25 charge to my account and that they do it for all new customers for verification (in addition to a credit check). Well guess what? I called my bank to make sure there was no problem with my Visa check card and I was told everything is fine AND that Dishnet never even contacted my bank nor made the $25 hold to my account. Hmmm -this smells like rotten eggs to me. -
Why don't you just google dishtv & directv and go right to the official sites? Simplify your life!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Why don't you just google dishtv & directv and go right to the official sites? Simplify your life!
Good idea Lwaf. Maybe the place contacted-- what was it, Dishnetworksomething-- is some sort of fly-by-night outfit. Better just to contact the main companies directly. They all have deals on now anyway.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots View Post
Good idea Lwaf. Maybe the place contacted-- what was it, Dishnetworksomething-- is some sort of fly-by-night outfit. Better just to contact the main companies directly. They all have deals on now anyway.
Actually, I take back part of what I just said-- Dishnetwork does look legit, at least given their web presence.

They might just have a more stringent credit requirement. You mentioned that you have your report but did you get your score? Again, that's the key thing-- many businesses (including banks!) just look at the number and decide how they're going to treat you (the interest rate they'll give you for a mortgage, whether you need a deposit for a phone) from that. Even the power company does this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area