Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:50 AM

6 posts, read 41,810 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating move from California to Sarasota. I was so excited about this possible move, until yesterday, when I came across a thread about crocodiles, poisonous snakes, 12 pound rats, fire ants, lizards, bats, and the possibility of one of those wondering in one's home and/or garden... which got me pretty scared. One thread even said that it is common for snakes to be in the garden, or lizards to come into the homes!

Can you please advise whether these animals can really come so close to one's home and even come inside?? For me, it would be enough one time to have a close encounter with a poisonous snake in my garden and to run as fast as I can and move out of the state. Especially with kids around.

Any thoughts and advise on this I would highly appreciate!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 12:20 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,778 times
i guess it's better to have your house burn down in one of those great California fires. There are rats, snakes, bugs everywhere.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:28 PM

513 posts, read 1,223,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy2000 View Post
I am contemplating move from California to Sarasota. I was so excited about this possible move, until yesterday, when I came across a thread about crocodiles, poisonous snakes, 12 pound rats, fire ants, lizards, bats, and the possibility of one of those wondering in one's home and/or garden... which got me pretty scared. One thread even said that it is common for snakes to be in the garden, or lizards to come into the homes!

Can you please advise whether these animals can really come so close to one's home and even come inside?? For me, it would be enough one time to have a close encounter with a poisonous snake in my garden and to run as fast as I can and move out of the state. Especially with kids around.

When I was a young child (early elementary school age), my parents piled us all into Dad's big, old Dodge van, picked up Grandma, and took us on a trip from Maryland to Florida. We stayed in Motels the entire trip other than the night we spent at the home of my Grandmother's brother: a wealthy retiree that lived directly on the beach on the Atlantic side, just South of Fort Lauderdale.

We arrived in the late afternoon and had the full run of the place, and as youngster, I was fascinated with the lizards darting everywhere amongst the shrubbery in the big, sandy yard. Having never seen them before, I enjoyed watching them, but on the same token was scared to touch one, not that I could have caught one to begin with. Later that evening, I asked my Great Uncle if the lizards could get into the house, and he confessed that sometimes they did.

Before bedtime, I had no idea where all of us were going to sleep, but our hosts miraculously dragged out all sorts of fold-up beds and cots. I ended up on one such cot in the hallway with a heavy, quilt-like blanket.

My mother must have covered me after I fell asleep, and in the middle of the night, I awoke to the feel of something heavy, pressing against my leg on top of the blanket. Terrified, I suspected one of the larger lizards had crawled onto my cot and settled on my leg. My mind raced; could he bite me, I wondered? Was he poisonous? Would I die from his bite in this scary paradise?

Paralyzed in fear of the lizard, and trying not to move, I softly cried out for someone to help me. When no one else awoke, I increased the intensity of my pleas until my Mother finally stirred, and arrive at my cot.

Upset to be awoken from her own pleasant slumber, she demanded to know what was wrong with me? I begged her to get the lizard off my leg. To my dismay, my Mother declared that the only thing on my leg was the blanket. Not scared anymore, I sat up and looked down. And sure enough, she was right: the only thing pressing against my leg was a crease from the heavy quilt.

The only night in my childhood more terrifying than the night of the lizard was when my other Grandmother hung a long, black dress sideways in my bedroom closet, and I failed to notice it before going to bed, but I won't digress away from the horrors of lizards on this occasion.

Please protect your children from the lizards.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:40 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times
I'd be more concerned with watching out for investor scams than vertebrates lacking legs.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:59 PM

385 posts, read 1,159,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I'd be more concerned with watching out for investor scams than vertebrates lacking legs.
Hehe Funny!!

The flora and fauna is quite different than California's. I don't think you need to worry about being attacked by an alligator though. Lizards are harmless, the area has more black snakes than anything else (like a garden snake) though I am sure if you got into some heavily wooded areas or areas with wild vegetation the statistics would change. Just like if you decided to jump into a swampy canal for a swim!

The thing about California and the northeast that I miss is you just can't exactly roll around the park or yard with your kids or pets the way you might be used to. You do need to be a bit careful and make sure there are no fire ants anywhere. The grass is a lot different too... it's not soft and wispy like I love. But on the bright side, we have fabulous beaches for a picnic, and you can have your lawn professionally treated!

I don't really ever have too much of a problem with mosquitos by my house, unless we have a heavy rain during warm weather, or I am by a pond, canal, woods etc.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:30 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Depending upon where you are in CA, you probably have just as many poisonous snakes, bugs, bats, etc.

In 19 years here I've never seen a poisonous snake in my yard, although I have seen some black garden snakes.

I've never seen a crocodile, although I've seen lots of alligators, but again never in my yard. Just about any body of water in FL can have alligators in them, but the number of people actually injured / killed by them each year is pretty nominal. Of the few people that actually are attacked, most were swimming in some lake or river (generally not a good idea here). I've never been worried about my children getting carried away by gators, although I may have threatened to feed them to the gators a few times .

I would guess that we probably see about a dozen stories a year on the news about someone finding a gator in their car port or pool, or some other situation where animal control had to come out and get it. Understand this is in the greater Tampa Bay news area of probably 4 million people and 3000+ square miles.

Fire ants are a problem, but just like other insects they can be controlled, and rarely pose any serious risk unless they are left unchecked.

Lizards are another thing! Small lizards are everywhere outside but are perfectly harmless. Along with the occasional gecko, we have seen lizards inside in every house we ever had in FL. Mind you we're not talking about a daily occurrence, but they are tiny very fast and will slip in through small openings or open doors. Usually when there is one inside we have to rescue it from the cats and put it back outside.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
When I was a young child (early elementary school age), my parents piled us all into Dad's big, old Dodge van, picked up Grandma, and took us on a trip from Maryland to Florida. We stayed in Motels the entire trip other than the night we spent at the home of my Grandmother's brother: a wealthy retiree that lived directly on the beach on the Atlantic side, just South of Fort Lauderdale.

We arrived in the late afternoon and had the full run of the place, and as youngster, I was fascinated with the lizards darting everywhere amongst the shrubbery in the big, sandy yard. Having never seen them before, I enjoyed watching them, but on the same token was scared to touch one, not that I could have caught one to begin with. Later that evening, I asked my Great Uncle if the lizards could get into the house, and he confessed that sometimes they did.

Before bedtime, I had no idea where all of us were going to sleep, but our hosts miraculously dragged out all sorts of fold-up beds and cots. I ended up on one such cot in the hallway with a heavy, quilt-like blanket.

My mother must have covered me after I fell asleep, and in the middle of the night, I awoke to the feel of something heavy, pressing against my leg on top of the blanket. Terrified, I suspected one of the larger lizards had crawled onto my cot and settled on my leg. My mind raced; could he bite me, I wondered? Was he poisonous? Would I die from his bite in this scary paradise?

Paralyzed in fear of the lizard, and trying not to move, I softly cried out for someone to help me. When no one else awoke, I increased the intensity of my pleas until my Mother finally stirred, and arrive at my cot.

Upset to be awoken from her own pleasant slumber, she demanded to know what was wrong with me? I begged her to get the lizard off my leg. To my dismay, my Mother declared that the only thing on my leg was the blanket. Not scared anymore, I sat up and looked down. And sure enough, she was right: the only thing pressing against my leg was a crease from the heavy quilt.

The only night in my childhood more terrifying than the night of the lizard was when my other Grandmother hung a long, black dress sideways in my bedroom closet, and I failed to notice it before going to bed, but I won't digress away from the horrors of lizards on this occasion.

Please protect your children from the lizards.
Great story, what a suspense! I was expecting a lizard by the end of it, but luckily this was not a case. Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:10 PM

383 posts, read 1,024,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy2000 View Post

I would WAY!!! rather live in Sarasota than anywhere in California,regardless of any type of creatures,and besides although the things you mentioned are around in Florida, I SERIOUSLY do'nt believe any of them will ever get close enough to you to bother you(except maybe the fire-ants) which can get in your yard, but are very treatable!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 PM

383 posts, read 1,024,124 times
Oh, and I've not heard about the 12 pound rats either(so far)

Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Depending upon where you are in CA, you probably have just as many poisonous snakes, bugs, bats, etc.

I agree with you. Although even though I live in San Francisco Bay Area and have traveled throught California, have never seen any of the above animals.

In 19 years here I've never seen a poisonous snake in my yard, although I have seen some black garden snakes.

I've never seen a crocodile, although I've seen lots of alligators, but again never in my yard. Just about any body of water in FL can have alligators in them, but the number of people actually injured / killed by them each year is pretty nominal. Of the few people that actually are attacked, most were swimming in some lake or river (generally not a good idea here). I've never been worried about my children getting carried away by gators, although I may have threatened to feed them to the gators a few times . Cute! I may as well do the same

I would guess that we probably see about a dozen stories a year on the news about someone finding a gator in their car port or pool, or some other situation where animal control had to come out and get it. Understand this is in the greater Tampa Bay news area of probably 4 million people and 3000+ square miles.

I was thinking along the same lines, there are so many people living in this area and they seem to manage the wild life.

Fire ants are a problem, but just like other insects they can be controlled, and rarely pose any serious risk unless they are left unchecked.

Lizards are another thing! Small lizards are everywhere outside but are perfectly harmless. Along with the occasional gecko, we have seen lizards inside in every house we ever had in FL. Mind you we're not talking about a daily occurrence, but they are tiny very fast and will slip in through small openings or open doors. Usually when there is one inside we have to rescue it from the cats and put it back outside.
Ay, they are "tiny, very fast.."...and "inside every house we ever had in FL"... gave me chills. Thanks for all the details though! You people living in Florida are brave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area