Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:10 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,708 times

Advertisements

Hi all. We are looking to relocate from NJ and are currently visiting Sarasota. I've been here many times before but always just as a tourist, never with an eye to living here. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do since I had heard so much negative stuff about Fl and Sarasota. We have been downtown to eat a few times, out to the beach, around St Armands and haven't seen any problems. People have been friendly although not overly so (which is fine with me). We would look in the West of the Trail area for a house and have wandered around there a few times. Houses are well kept, plenty of people out walking dogs and kids playing in the street. It seems like a fine area. Aside from general Florida issues - weather, home insurance, property tax, what am I missing? Even the public schools that West of the Trail goes to get great reviews. Why is there so much negativity around living in Sarasota - I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 09:23 AM

32 posts, read 238,810 times
Sarasota is a really nice place. Don't listen to all the haters on this forum. I live in St. Pete, just north of Sarasota but I just got a job there so I will be in the area on a daily basis. Downtown is beautiful, there are lots of great neighborhoods, great beaches, great restaurants and very good schools. Its true that just north of downtown it gets very seedy and there is alot of money in the area so of course there are some snobs, but overall, its a really great place to call home. good luck!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Hi all. We are looking to relocate from NJ and are currently visiting Sarasota. I've been here many times before but always just as a tourist, never with an eye to living here. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do since I had heard so much negative stuff about Fl and Sarasota. We have been downtown to eat a few times, out to the beach, around St Armands and haven't seen any problems. People have been friendly although not overly so (which is fine with me). We would look in the West of the Trail area for a house and have wandered around there a few times. Houses are well kept, plenty of people out walking dogs and kids playing in the street. It seems like a fine area. Aside from general Florida issues - weather, home insurance, property tax, what am I missing? Even the public schools that West of the Trail goes to get great reviews. Why is there so much negativity around living in Sarasota - I don't get it.
People are jealous...Sarasota has something for everyone...it's a perfect size city on the edge of the beach....what could be better?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 AM

393 posts, read 1,736,160 times
Wink sarasota

There is lots to love about Sarasota, which you have already seen. North side a bit less attractive, but not terrible. West of trail more expensive. East of 75 turns to country pretty fast, south is booming. All good things. Several different price points in the different areas of the city. From fixer uppers to multi million dollar mansions. On the water to inland to golf communities, it's all there in the same city. It's spectacular to have so many different lifestyles in one place. It's more pricey than the surrounding towns, but worth it. Conservatives, liberals, caucasions, blacks, hispanics, newyorkers, midwesterners, old, young, straights, gays, white collar, blue collar, and even a few sarasota natives mixed in, all live in this same place. Only negative I have is that I don't live there anymore. Homesick family overruled me, and now I wait to find a way to move back to the good friends and city I miss in Sarasota. Rent before you buy is a good option no matter where you choose to live. Living in a city for a bit gives you a better idea of the nuances of the different aspects and neighborhoods of any city. Good luck to you in your search.....

Old 05-23-2007, 10:14 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Sarasota is no different from anywhere in that some people love it, some hate it and some in between.

If you have an income or a good job you will probably love the place. Definitely stay west of the trail and south of downtown for the best neighborhoods.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:03 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,708 times
Thanks all. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why people are so anti Sarasota. The only issue I can see is that it isn't cheap. We are off to see some houses west of the trail later today even though we will probably end up renting a condo in the area before we buy (even though that is a total pain with kids).

Does anybody know how far down the area called West of the Trail goes? Is as far down as the Oaks still considered West of the Trail (I know you are actually west of it but is the area still called that?) or are you just south of town then? Slightly confused.

Sunshine girl - hope you make it back here soon!

Old 05-23-2007, 01:42 PM

55 posts, read 286,610 times
We are moving to Sarasota also, we love it there! Such a great lifestyle for families with kids. Don't rule out east of the trail and west of 75 - lots of great family oriented communities, but still close to the ocean.

Godd luck to you....

Old 05-24-2007, 09:07 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Quote:
Thanks all. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why people are so anti Sarasota. The only issue I can see is that it isn't cheap. We are off to see some houses west of the trail later today even though we will probably end up renting a condo in the area before we buy (even though that is a total pain with kids).

Does anybody know how far down the area called West of the Trail goes? Is as far down as the Oaks still considered West of the Trail (I know you are actually west of it but is the area still called that?) or are you just south of town then? Slightly confused.

Sunshine girl - hope you make it back here soon!
I have known "west of trail" to typically describe the neighborhoods around the museum area...there is a big difference from the east side of Tamiami to the west side in that area...I don't know if it extends past the Van Wezel...

There is no where that is "cheap" in Florida unless you live next to a crackhouse or a dealer......or you have about 400 square feet....

There are deals available if you look hard...and they make you jump with joy!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:10 AM

184 posts, read 611,348 times
Quote:

I love Sarasota .... do not know why anyone would have issues with it . I much prefer the west coast of Florida to living in South Florida at least you feel like you are in the U.S. and people are not as rude , besides the beaches are beautiful and you have Tampa about an hour away if you want to hit the city on the weekends .

Old 05-25-2007, 08:21 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki conway View Post
Hi
I've lived here since 1987 and I'm a Realtor. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Sarasota. I wouldn't consider living anywhere else. It has everything you could possibly want and is a little jewel of a city that yet largely undiscovered.
in my searching around, sarasota reminded me of being on LI in NY and that isn't a good thing, living on one of the islands (keys?) would be nice but that trip to the supermarket would be hellish.
Sarasota has some really good things going for it, it is fairly sophisticated and as cosmopolitan as a small FLA town could be but the congestion, that kills it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area