Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,840 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a highschool sophomore from bridgewater, Nj and i've been looking into lots of Game Design schools lately, and so far, Ringling School of Art and Design has my favorite program; Personally, I'd never get any work done in a dorm room with other people, especially since I can get pretty high off of just hanging with friends ~ so I started to look at apartments nearby, but from what I've read so far, Sarasota seems like it has its share of crime.

I was wondering if there were any 1 to 2 bedroom apartments nearby the school (preferably really close so i can just pool my savings into an extremely cheap jelopy; or even somewhere near a bus stop)
I plan on sharing with my aunt since she was planning to move near Sarasota for the beaches anyway, so the price can be anywhere from $450 (i wish) to $1200 (what a 1 bedroom costs up here :P)

Like I've said I'm from bridgewater, nj; probably the most cookie cutter suburbia you can get, and my mom once freaked out so much about some nearby burglars that she wouldn't let me go to my best friends house. Across the street. Whose dad is a cop. I'm not saying I would be too freaked out about crime to give up going to Ringling, but a gated apartment complex and some tips to live by wouldn't hurt either.

Other than that, It'd be super nice to live in a Med-Large Dog friendly area; but feel free to burst my bubble because as any 16 year old girl would, I have high hopes for college and I don't need to explode into tears the day I get there

On that note: Any Ringling Alumni out there? Do you guys know what I should expect, especially those who've majored in Animation or even game design? I'd like to know if living off campus with my aunt and paying half rent is really such a good idea, or if Ringling is even the school for me!

My parents never went to college so they don't really know how the application process goes, especially for an art school. Does anyone know or have examples of what kind of portfolio work the admins are looking for? I really want to cover all my steps before the time comes, so any additional information would be absolutely amazing.

One last thing, does anyone know when the best time of year to find an apartment there is? My cousins were telling me how when they went to college, off campus housing disappeared within a week because juniors and seniors knew when to jump in and rent. I'm not sure if that would be a problem though because Ringling's student population is so small...my high school alone has a little more than 4000 kids, and that's with only 2 acres of land; any of you know how campus is like with 1500 students and 37 acres of land? I can't even imagine that kind of space OwO...

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post; Help appreciated.

P.S. lolz~ me again; does anyone think it'd be a smart idea to wait a year before going to college in order to build up a portfolio and make some cash? There's just too much to do in high school and when I'm not trying to cram in every elective I can to earn enough credits to be considered a "well rounded student" or doing homework for said classes I'm either researching for college or eating breathing and sleeping (for the wee 6 hours I have a day)! This probably isn't the best plan, but I just would want to know others opinion about this. Thanks again :3
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 03:27 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialAtelier View Post
Hi, I'm a highschool sophomore from bridgewater, Nj and i've been looking into lots of Game Design schools lately, and so far, Ringling School of Art and Design has my favorite program; Personally, I'd never get any work done in a dorm room with other people, especially since I can get pretty high off of just hanging with friends ~ so I started to look at apartments nearby, but from what I've read so far, Sarasota seems like it has its share of crime.

I was wondering if there were any 1 to 2 bedroom apartments nearby the school (preferably really close so i can just pool my savings into an extremely cheap jelopy; or even somewhere near a bus stop)
I plan on sharing with my aunt since she was planning to move near Sarasota for the beaches anyway, so the price can be anywhere from $450 (i wish) to $1200 (what a 1 bedroom costs up here :P)

Like I've said I'm from bridgewater, nj; probably the most cookie cutter suburbia you can get, and my mom once freaked out so much about some nearby burglars that she wouldn't let me go to my best friends house. Across the street. Whose dad is a cop. I'm not saying I would be too freaked out about crime to give up going to Ringling, but a gated apartment complex and some tips to live by wouldn't hurt either.

Other than that, It'd be super nice to live in a Med-Large Dog friendly area; but feel free to burst my bubble because as any 16 year old girl would, I have high hopes for college and I don't need to explode into tears the day I get there

On that note: Any Ringling Alumni out there? Do you guys know what I should expect, especially those who've majored in Animation or even game design? I'd like to know if living off campus with my aunt and paying half rent is really such a good idea, or if Ringling is even the school for me!

My parents never went to college so they don't really know how the application process goes, especially for an art school. Does anyone know or have examples of what kind of portfolio work the admins are looking for? I really want to cover all my steps before the time comes, so any additional information would be absolutely amazing.

One last thing, does anyone know when the best time of year to find an apartment there is? My cousins were telling me how when they went to college, off campus housing disappeared within a week because juniors and seniors knew when to jump in and rent. I'm not sure if that would be a problem though because Ringling's student population is so small...my high school alone has a little more than 4000 kids, and that's with only 2 acres of land; any of you know how campus is like with 1500 students and 37 acres of land? I can't even imagine that kind of space OwO...

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post; Help appreciated.

P.S. lolz~ me again; does anyone think it'd be a smart idea to wait a year before going to college in order to build up a portfolio and make some cash? There's just too much to do in high school and when I'm not trying to cram in every elective I can to earn enough credits to be considered a "well rounded student" or doing homework for said classes I'm either researching for college or eating breathing and sleeping (for the wee 6 hours I have a day)! This probably isn't the best plan, but I just would want to know others opinion about this. Thanks again :3
This question is right up my alley! I have a junior right now that is seriously looking at the possibility of attending Ringling. I would say that your plans seem quite ambitious and that you need to do a lot of research before moving to the area.

I can tell you that the gaming division of Ringling is by far the hardest to get into but on the same note it is a very well respected division of the school. Many big name game companies hire out of Ringling-EA Games, Nintendo, Sony, etc. If have any interest in the gaming program you need to apply to that program because it's next to impossible to transfer into that program once you start at Ringling.

I have an uncle that graduated from Ringling back in the 70's and he does all the set design for Neiman Marcus in Texas. He said that he never realized how well respected the school was until he moved away from the area. When he tells people where he went to school they generally seem very impressed and have a positive reaction.

Some things that you need to do prior to getting into Ringling:
1. Are you going to need a job? Jobs are really tight right now and even people with a lot of experience are having a hard time finding a job.
2. I am going to allow my daughter to live on campus. I do know that they have security that patrols Ringling at night but it's not the kind of place you want to be out walking around at night. If you do look for an apartment I west stay west of US 41 and maybe bunk up with a couple of kids to afford the extra expense.
3. Ringling looks for students with a lot of different mediums-paint, ink, etc. They like to see that you're had some experience in many different art forms. They also will want to see your sketchbook. This gives them kind of an inside look how you view things.
4. Ringling has a portfolio day. I know they have at least one a year and maybe two. The next portfolio day is Jan 24 at 9am. There are people from Ringling as well as many, many other colleges there. Bring your work and they will critique it.
5. Put your artwork in as many shows, competitions, etc as you can find. It looks good on your application and it's just a good experience to be involved in.
6. Lastly, go make an appointment and let them tell you what they think. Amy Fischer is one of their recruiters and is a great person to work with. Give her a call and set up an interview. They require your portfolio to be photographed so you could probably email her the pics and she could go over them with you.

If you have any questions that you'd like to ask me privately I'd be happy to answer them. Good luck with your adventure

Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 PM

917 posts, read 2,615,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
This question is right up my alley!
It sure was! Nice job as usual!

Old 01-12-2010, 04:26 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
A few years back I lived at a place called The Palms that was very close to Ringling. They were one of the very few places that allowed large dogs. 2 bedroom townhouses with a security gate that is open during the day but closed at night. Not fancy, but livable.

Palms Of Sarasota Incorporated Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Sarasota apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com As you will see, it gets mixed reviews. I never had any problems when I lived there.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:02 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
This question is right up my alley! I have a junior right now that is seriously looking at the possibility of attending Ringling. I would say that your plans seem quite ambitious and that you need to do a lot of research before moving to the area.

I can tell you that the gaming division of Ringling is by far the hardest to get into but on the same note it is a very well respected division of the school. Many big name game companies hire out of Ringling-EA Games, Nintendo, Sony, etc. If have any interest in the gaming program you need to apply to that program because it's next to impossible to transfer into that program once you start at Ringling.

I have an uncle that graduated from Ringling back in the 70's and he does all the set design for Neiman Marcus in Texas. He said that he never realized how well respected the school was until he moved away from the area. When he tells people where he went to school they generally seem very impressed and have a positive reaction.

Some things that you need to do prior to getting into Ringling:
1. Are you going to need a job? Jobs are really tight right now and even people with a lot of experience are having a hard time finding a job.
2. I am going to allow my daughter to live on campus. I do know that they have security that patrols Ringling at night but it's not the kind of place you want to be out walking around at night. If you do look for an apartment I west stay west of US 41 and maybe bunk up with a couple of kids to afford the extra expense.
3. Ringling looks for students with a lot of different mediums-paint, ink, etc. They like to see that you're had some experience in many different art forms. They also will want to see your sketchbook. This gives them kind of an inside look how you view things.
4. Ringling has a portfolio day. I know they have at least one a year and maybe two. The next portfolio day is Jan 24 at 9am. There are people from Ringling as well as many, many other colleges there. Bring your work and they will critique it.
5. Put your artwork in as many shows, competitions, etc as you can find. It looks good on your application and it's just a good experience to be involved in.
6. Lastly, go make an appointment and let them tell you what they think. Amy Fischer is one of their recruiters and is a great person to work with. Give her a call and set up an interview. They require your portfolio to be photographed so you could probably email her the pics and she could go over them with you.

If you have any questions that you'd like to ask me privately I'd be happy to answer them. Good luck with your adventure
Right on.
An old friend of mine recruits for Ringling, Eric Kaster, you may want to look him up c/o Ringling & see what he has to say.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Ringling Plans Cutting Edge Digital Film Making Lab
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area