Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:03 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the general Fla forum and had some great responses.

My husband and I(age 39 and 44) live in RI with 3 kids. In 2011 My son will graduate and will go off into the Marines and my daughter will no longer live with us. We will be left in a 4 bedroom house with 3 people. My homeschooled son will be the last one at home and he will be 16. We want to move to Florida.
Our situation is not the norm. I am medically retired Marine and a permanently 100% disabled Veteran. I get a very nice pension from the VA. A few years ago my husband had an aortic dissection and emergency open heart surgery . A complication left him with surgery and skin grafts on his leg along with permanent damage and pain. He gets disability now. Neither one of us drive due to these issues. His leg seems to be worse in the cold weather. His leg feels great when he can be in the water or where it's warm. Florida seems optimal for this. We lived in San Diego for many years and even though that fits the bill weather wise, it's just too expensive.
We aren't rich but our pensions let us live decently. As such, we will not be looking for jobs. I've been looking at the COL in the Tampa- ST Pete area and it looks lower than ours up here. On a fixed income a 10% or better drop in the COL is a big deal. We also have great health insurance through the military so that is not a cost and we don't drive so we have no car costs. We do use a lot of taxis and buses though
One of the other reasons I am looking at Tampa-St Pete is because I can get Space A(military) flights out of MacDill AFB to Europe and other East coast bases. I'd love to leave near a military base with Space A options and be able to do some traveling. I also would like to live in a major metro area with good public transportation ,where we can go out doors and have access to restaurants and store. I'd also like to be a bus or a Taxi away from the beach. Is this too much to ask for? Can this be done in the Tampa area? We are looking for a condo-town home type of situation as outdoor yard work would be tough
One other question that is not a top of the line priority. MY son is a budding actor. By the time we leave RI he will have spent 2 years taking classes from Trinity Rep in Ca.
Here in RI we spend around 2000$ a month just on housing and (oil) Heat-electricity. I would like to keep those costs at or below this. Basically I'd like to find a decent 3/2 home or condo for around 250,000
Is any of this doable? Are there other areas I should consider? I'm a bit of a liberal and I'm not sure how comfortable I would be a highly conservative area. I tend to get along well with people of all faiths and beliefs .I just don't want to be a complete fish out of water.

Now, I've learned more info since I posted this. Sarasota seems like a good fit. It's close enough to MacDill for me to get too. I have also discovered that Sarasota Memorial is a pioneer in robotic, minimally invasive heart/valve surgery. My husband will need his aortic valve repaired in another 7-12 years and the possibility of minimally invasive surgery sounds much better than having his entire chest cracked open again.
I've also decided that It is time for me to drive again. I have had mini-strokes but it has been almost 8 years with no problems. I think I need to get over my fear and drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 PM

In doing research I have discovered I may be exempt from property taxes in Fla
Service Connected Total and Permanent Disability Exemption

An honorably discharged veteran with service connected total and permanent disability may qualify for total exemption of homesteaded real estate used and owned as a homestead, less any portion used for commercial purposes. An existing exemption can be transferred to a new qualifying residence.
Under certain circumstances the benefit of this exemption can carry over to the surviving spouse.
If filing for the first time, bring proof of your service connected disability: such as, a letter from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:42 AM

385 posts, read 1,159,599 times
It seems like it could be a fit, but I feel you would really need to narrow it down to a community since you don't drive and being a long term investment, should you ever have any health complications in the future, you would still be an inexpensive ride by taxi or bus to get to your destination. I thank your family for serving our country, and agree SMH is a leader from what I understand in heart surgeries.

Have visited our area before? The most walkable part of Sarasota with many close amenities is downtown. If you were able to find something in your price range west of the trail you would be very close to the hospital, Dr.s offices, a large grocery store, CVS, banks, optical, cleaners, salon, and many small restaurants, as well as Southgate Mall. It's a short distance from downtown, as well as the north bridge to to Siesta Key (beaches). I am just not sure If you will be able to find something that doesn't need any work in that price range. We have some real estate experts on the board that could give you some good information when the come across your post.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 AM

I really think I'm going to have to start driving again. I think that needs to happen whether I am here or in Fla. At this point I think it's more irrational fear about it than anything. I've been free from the mini-strokes that kept me from driving for 8 years. I'll also have a son with me that is old enough to drive. As it is right now any emergency trips to the hospital involve a 30 $ taxi ride . Rhode Island Hospital is a town away. Luckily my husband is getting better and we haven't had an emergency run visit in 9 months or so.
As far as serving our country, I must admit to being a bit nervous about my oldest son joining the Marines . It's no surprise as his father and I and uncle are all Marines. I know my mother was nervous signing the papers for me back in 87, but she did it because It was what I wanted . I'll sign for my son as it's what he wants.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:10 PM

Hopefully we will come down in Oct and explore the area.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:35 PM

455 posts, read 979,433 times
Be sure to check out the areas around Bay Pines in Pinellas County too. Another good VA hospital there. It's a short hop to MacDill across the bay. There's some very nice neighborhoods in Pinellas. You would also have the benefits of the Base-as far as the Exchange and BX.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:44 PM

29 posts, read 69,935 times
I have looked around quite a bit, and I find that Sarasota County is also the place for me. I like Osprey or Sarasota. SoFLGal has been so helpful and informative! Everything she has said has always checked out! She has so much knowledge about the area, and is so unbiased about it!

I think it is wonderful that Sarasota has supported it's school system too.

BH - rep point for you for mentioning that about the school taxes! I think that Education funding is important!

Last edited by GailH; 03-19-2010 at 05:01 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 05:11 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailH View Post
I have looked around quite a bit, and I find that Sarasota County is also the place for me. I like Osprey or Sarasota. SoFLGal has been so helpful and informative! Everything she has said has always checked out! She has so much knowledge about the area, and is so unbiased about it!

I think it is wonderful that Sarasota has supported it's school system too.

BH - rep point for you for mentioning that about the school taxes! I think that Education funding is important!
Thanks GailH. If you have any questions about the area. Feel free to DM me! I'm always happy to help!

Old 03-20-2010, 01:15 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
firstly if you are a vetearan and your son is just about to be a Marine then kudos and respect to you both and may he stay safe..

as an outsider i find tampa a bit too busy but love sarasota, i think you would enjoy it there. yes i think you do need to overcome the non-driving thing but if you have had the courage to serve in the forces then you will definitely overcome that -if not then use your son as your des driver :-)

the beaches near Sarasota are awesome as are the restaurants and as you say if your COL is going down then all the better.

so good luck to you -oh and by the way one of my dearest friends a former football coach lives in Warwick !!! (on Barrington), how funny if you knew him :-)

Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 7,839 times
I live in Scotland and hope to purchase in your area, does anyone know what the property at Sarasota Quays is like, its for investment intitially with a view to moving at some point in the future.I am also looking at Tampa Palms how do they compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area