Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 01:26 PM

20 posts, read 63,146 times

Advertisements

Wanting to move to a more suburban area that I can take a drive to the beach but not live in the congested areas, inland is great. Have dogs so somewhere that is friendly towards people that show in events.

Any suggestions on areas?? I'm from out of state so local input is so helpful! Need a safe area with laid back friendly people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 02:52 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
Well, you don't have to worry about laid back, the whole state is laid back! You didn't mention your age and that could be helpful. Now, suburban yet, not congested? I guess it depends what you mean by congested. Where are you from originally? If you are from a bigger city, or a suburb of a city like NY or Chicago, then I think it's safe to say congestion wont be an issue. Congestion here isn't much compared to a larger city. Bradenton is nice out East, but is a bit far from the beaches. Sarasota is nice too, but is definitely a more congested area IMO. Im a Chicago native and I don't care for the traffic in Sarasota. However, look into the University Park area of Bradenton. It's right on the border of Sarasota (university parkway is the border). It has a very suburban feel, everything from the landscaping, shopping, to the homes. There are condo associations (Seranata), townhomes (Carolina Landings, Sabal Bay, San Michele) and residential areas (Palm Aire, Mote Ranch and others. It also offers nice access to the airport and I75. It also depends what your price range is, if schools are important and so on..This would be a great place to start and if you give me more information I could try to assist you more..AVOID Lakewood Ranch which is close by, CHINESE DRYWALL and nutty CDD fees!!

Old 05-06-2010, 04:53 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Default How many dogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechichiChihuahuas View Post
Wanting to move to a more suburban area that I can take a drive to the beach but not live in the congested areas, inland is great. Have dogs so somewhere that is friendly towards people that show in events.
How many dogs? If you go into a gated community w/an HOA you will most likely only be allowed to have 2 dogs. Check before you buy or you may be in for a nasty surprise.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:04 AM

I am 28 but I am not into the night life scene. I'm a back yard bbq type of a person. I live in Massachusetts, so suburban here is more like a house w an acre of land and neighbors...so maybe in the case of Florida I would say a farm style town so more rural perhaps?! I have 10 dogs. They are Chihuahua's so they are small but I show them so I'll always have them. They are not yappers but I want some space for them to run, etc. and I grew up on a farm so I would love to get back in an area like that.

SO HAPPY to know the whole state is laid back!!! I may be 28 but I am a total hippie at heart and love nature and the outdoors, hence summer all year is ideal for me (I wear sweaters when it's 70 up here). I can always have a pool, so beach is not an issue. I can always drive, it's about 1.5-2 hours to the beach from where I live now anyway!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:27 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
If you want kind of rural, and a place with land for your dogs, you might want to check out Myakka City. It is inland a bit, however, and will be a long drive to a beach.

You could also look around Ellenton or Parrish, which are a little closer to beaches, but still a little drive. You definitely do NOT want to be in any kind of gated community with HOA's and deed restrictions, you have too many animals for that, plus you won't get an acre of land in those places, anyway.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
I agree with what everyone else has said about the HOA deal-not gonna fly.

You might also want to look into North Port estates. Out there it's 3-5 acres and is zoned agriculturally. I was just out there a few days ago looking at a foreclosure on 3 acres with a home that was in perfect shape and over 2000 sq ft. I believe the price was $190K. If you keep a look out you can snag up a good deal.

NP estates is about 30 minutes from the beaches.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:55 AM

Myakka City looks beautiful!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:22 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
I agree.. since you have so many dogs, Myakka is a great option. You can find some really nice homes out there also. You're a bit far from everything, but depending on where in Myakka, you could head right down SR70 to Lakewood Ranch for shopping and basically everything you need. Really far from the beach though, and quiet honestly, pretty far from people your age Im guessing. It's a very rural area and you would definitely have the space for your dogs. Some of it can be a bit "redneck" since there are so many farmers and hunters out that way. However, there are plenty of residents that are average, everyday people enjoying the country life. They have a general store, Suzie Q's local diner, and HYDROPONICS with the BEST fresh veggies and subs ever! Check out homes in the 34254 zipcode.
Parrish and ellenton are nice, but IMO not the best option. It's not quite as country as Myakka and you may have trouble finding the amount of land you want. There are also many foreclosures in the area and it has gone downhill the last few years. It's also right next to Palmetto which does not have the safest areas.

Check out this link: 26309 80Th E Dr, Myakka City, FL, 34251 - MLS #A3925567 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Just an example of what you could stumble upon..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area