Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:35 AM

473 posts, read 1,168,161 times

Advertisements

For every story that says hey we're selling more houses and things are looking up there is at least one of these on the very same day.
Local foreclosures, late rates keep rising - Business - BradentonHerald.com
You cant tell me that things are better when these numbers show otherwise from a year ago.

Last edited by beerme1; 05-08-2010 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 11:35 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
For every stiry that says hey we're selling more houses and things are looking up there is at least one of these on the very same day.
You cant tell me that things are better when these numbers show otherwise from a year ago.
I don't think that foreclosures and sales are necessarily linked at this point. Even though there are still lots of people who are going through foreclosure, there are other groups that are buying houses.

My guess would be that a combination of the following is helping sales (all driven by the belief that the market is probably at the bottom): People that can afford more house than they currently have are moving up, investors are starting to purchase, and people from other areas that see this as a good time to get a retirement or vacation home.

We are at a place financially where we can afford more than we could 7 years ago when we bough this house. We could also afford more just by moving to a much newer home that's not in a flood zone.

If we weren't leaving next summer we'd definitely sell and move up to something nicer while the market is still low.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:09 PM

475 posts, read 900,822 times
Quote:
For every story that says hey we're selling more houses and things are looking up there is at least one of these on the very same day.
You will continue to hear 'good news' until at least after the Nov. elections. Consider who is in control of the media.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:02 PM

913 posts, read 2,362,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
Consider who is in control of the media.

I'm so ticked off. They control the media? Rush, Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity... I guess you're right! Those right wing nuts will do anything to get elected!

Old 05-08-2010, 03:25 PM

268 posts, read 1,067,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
Consider who is in control of the media.
Too bad we can't vote them out, too.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:06 PM

475 posts, read 900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
I'm so ticked off. They control the media? Rush, Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity... I guess you're right! Those right wing nuts will do anything to get elected!
Don't forget Mark Levin!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:45 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post

Kind of an intellectually lazy argument. 3 of the 4 are on the same station.

Try ABC, CBS, NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, NY Times, LA Times, Paul Krugman, NPR, CNN, and on and on for decidedly Obama/Dem lovefest. The media today in America would make Goebbels blush

Old 05-08-2010, 07:18 PM

204 posts, read 601,771 times
Yeesh. Wish people wouldn't turn everything into a partisan pouting match at every opportunity.

(* not the original word I used, figured it would get censored)

So... returning to the original question:

Quote:
The problem with stats like that is that they don't paint a picture of the varying degrees of problems at different price points (locally or otherwise). From what I gather, the bottom for sub $150k homes in the region hit sometime late last year / early this year. Some of the support for that came from housing credit (now expired), and the usual low-money-down FNMA programs that seem destined to cause a repeat of the mortgage crisis. And of course the investors came out of the woodwork.

There was an article about the VP of Bank of America's OREO department stating that B of A related foreclosures would peak at the end of 2010, up 600% from their current monthly rate (something to the effect of 7500/mo currently, reaching 45,000/mo in Dec). That's bound to have serious price repercussions on the market once they are through the mill and compete with ordinary sellers. Granted, this is national, so hard to tell what impact this will have in the greater Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice market.

Last time I spoke to SoFLGal, I believe she said that the over $200k market was deader than dead (paraphrasing here), and the majority of sales were on the lower end of the scale.

Other bits and pieces I've picked up have stated that the $200-900k range has yet to really tumble - the banks and home owners have held out about as long as they could. Top of the roller coaster?

HHH

Old 05-08-2010, 07:32 PM

913 posts, read 2,362,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
Kind of an intellectually lazy argument. 3 of the 4 are on the same station.

Try ABC, CBS, NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, NY Times, LA Times, Paul Krugman, NPR, CNN, and on and on for decidedly Obama/Dem lovefest. The media today in America would make Goebbels blush

I get so tired of the same old liberal media bias accusations. Just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean they are biased.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:44 PM

473 posts, read 1,168,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHelmhazzard View Post
Other bits and pieces I've picked up have stated that the $200-900k range has yet to really tumble - the banks and home owners have held out about as long as they could. Top of the roller coaster?

HHH
Wow. I have seen dramatic drops in prices on the 350K houses. I struggle to think that they have yet to really adjust. I completely understand your comments about the sub 150K market and as SoFLGal has been speaking that exact thought for some time now.
I am having trouble coming to grips with some of this now though. 6 months ago I would have said if you were looking at a 380K house you would get it with an offer of 330K. I actually dont think that applies anymore though. The same houses may still be on the market but have been lowered to lets say 360K and the sellers aren't coming off what they have reduced it by. So you may get that house for 350 but not 330. Unless maybe someone is desperate I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area