Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 06:24 AM

99 posts, read 188,988 times

Advertisements

Well, long story short. I was scammed by a local BS Artist. He took me for about $2400 and I took him to court. I won a judgement against him as he never showed for court. I have tried garnishing money from the bank where he deposited my checks-no luck. The Chatham County magistrate court does not want to help me in the least. It's like pulling teeth. Has anyone here had any experience with being scammed and the magistrate court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 11:28 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,427,482 times
I can tell you from experience with Houston County Magistrate that they could care less about your problems. I was out $7000 for a renovation job this guy was supposed to do; he stole the deposit after he destroyed the front porch and hauled ass. After I won a judgment against him, I had to file a garnishment at the bank which cost like $50 or something, in the HOPE that there was money in there. The bank told me it would take 30 days and they would notify me of any money I would get back. 30 days later, I got nothing. I had to file another garnishment for another 30 days and got nothing. I gave up. I won't bother filing suit ever again, it costs too much money for nothing. Your best bet is to make his life hell if you know who he is and where he is, and get him put in jail. That's what I did. I chased that SOB all the way to Seattle by finding him online everywhere he went, and reported him to the authorities in every state I found him. It finally caught up with him there. He's been in jail for 2 years now and is due to be extradited to the next state that he owes to, and will be there two years. He has two more states to go after that. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:58 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,613,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agradywills View Post
Well, long story short. I was scammed by a local BS Artist. He took me for about $2400 and I took him to court. I won a judgement against him as he never showed for court. I have tried garnishing money from the bank where he deposited my checks-no luck. The Chatham County magistrate court does not want to help me in the least. It's like pulling teeth. Has anyone here had any experience with being scammed and the magistrate court?

Your next step is to find his place of employment if he works, and garnish his paycheck. Remember your $2400 is collecting I think 9% every year. After 3 years I think you will have to refile to keep the judgement open against him. It takes a long time to go away in Ga. Read up on it, Ga. is not a good state to be owing money is vs. Texas.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:36 PM

99 posts, read 188,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I can tell you from experience with Houston County Magistrate that they could care less about your problems. I was out $7000 for a renovation job this guy was supposed to do; he stole the deposit after he destroyed the front porch and hauled ass. After I won a judgment against him, I had to file a garnishment at the bank which cost like $50 or something, in the HOPE that there was money in there. The bank told me it would take 30 days and they would notify me of any money I would get back. 30 days later, I got nothing. I had to file another garnishment for another 30 days and got nothing. I gave up. I won't bother filing suit ever again, it costs too much money for nothing. Your best bet is to make his life hell if you know who he is and where he is, and get him put in jail. That's what I did. I chased that SOB all the way to Seattle by finding him online everywhere he went, and reported him to the authorities in every state I found him. It finally caught up with him there. He's been in jail for 2 years now and is due to be extradited to the next state that he owes to, and will be there two years. He has two more states to go after that. Good luck.
This SOB hauled ass after I paid him the entire amount (He badgered the hell out of me). I went to Effingham County Sheriff Dept. and filed a complaint. They directed me to Chatham County Magistrate court since that's where he was living at the time. I filed suit and tried to serve him only to find out he wasn't living at the address I gave the Magistrate court. They won't look up a damn thing for you (nothing, not license plates, addresses, history, etc.) How in the hell am I supposed to know where he lives, works, etc? I've paid around $300 in court fees and am reluctant to pursue any further but I can't let this SOB go.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:45 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,613,521 times
Get on the property tax website and see if you can find him starting there. After that it may cost around 25 bucks to get one of those online files. Also report him to the credit people...

Old 06-24-2010, 11:11 AM

42 posts, read 117,347 times
If you can find a local private investigator they're usually worth the $100 or so it costs to track them down. Call your local attorney's office or county attorney's office and see who they use to serve subpeonas and use them. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2010, 01:21 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,427,482 times
I did everything myself, online. I started out doing a search on his name, the address he gave me, his telephone number, email address, etc., and went from there. Message me offlist and I might be able to get you started. I used to be a skip-tracer for a collections agency "back in the day" and I really enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area