Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,049 times

Advertisements

My husband has been accepted for a transfer with the USPS from Boston to Savannah. We have not really prepared too much because we werent sure if he would get the transfer. So, how much preperation do we need? How much money (low budget) do we need to get moved? How much time should we give ourselves to get down there? Whats the cheapest way to get this done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Check with movers in your area if you are going to be moving an entire houseful of stuff. If you have only a few things, just stuff them in the back of the car and forget the rest. That's also the cheapest.

How much time? depends on what you will be moving. And whether or not you have a house/apartment ready for you when you get here. And how fast you drive.

This is a question that only you can answer for yourself. We don't know anything at all about what you have, what you are going to move, what kind of house you will be moving to. As far as "how much time it takes to get down here", again it depends of WHAT you are going to move, how long will it take to pack.

First....figure out where you are going to move to. Once you do that, then you can start on how and what to move.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:36 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Does the USPS not pay for transfers? Do they give you any kind of moving allowance?

Old 07-27-2012, 04:39 PM

54 posts, read 166,260 times
I moved to Savannah last summer. I had flown down a month earlier and rented an apartment. When I went back home (Mpls) I gave away/sold/donated 3/4 of my belongings. Then I packed everything up, and set it in my vacant living room.

I went to Uhaul and picked up a brochure with their truck dimensions. I decided what size truck I would be comfortable driving across the country in, and then I got rid of more stuff. . . until what I was taking fit the dimensions of the Uhual I was renting.

It sounds goofy but it worked very well. I think I paid $1300 one way. . . I kept it 2 days longer than I needed (didn't want to be rushed moving in) and got all the insurance etc they offered. I also had to gas it up which cost lots. If I had a do-over, I might have just gotten the Uhaul storage pods and let them move it for me and flown down as these options priced out pretty closely afterwards with hotel food etc. . . . But anyway this was by far cheaper than any of the estimates I got from a handful of moving companies. You have the most difficult piece covered already since your husband has a job.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:46 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Since your question is really quite general, check this link. There are probably other helpful threads in this particular forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-checklist.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area