Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:33 PM

70 posts, read 336,755 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Richmond Hill from Pooler. We both work near the airport (well, we'll see for how long that is...*sigh*) and we like Pooler. However, we are finding that the housing is just ridiculous in cost. We came to this area from a city of over 1 million people that had housing in upper middle-class areas for less than Pooler! But we've come to realize (and after speaking with many realtors here) that housing is over-inflated because of Gulfstream.

With that said - through networking, we've found a beautiful condo community in Richmond Hill that is CHEAPER than what our rent is now! We plan to rent until we've lived here for a couple of years and feel comfortable about all of the Savannah area. Other than the 2-3 times we've been on 144, we don't know much about RH. Can anyone offer any neat places to visit/things to do there? In my opinion, even from Pooler, you have to travel to Savannah to really do any shopping. Dining isn't bad in Pooler, but I'm not sure about RH. Any advice is appreciated! I like that we'll be only about 15 mins. from Savannah Mall/Target/Movie Theaters, but didn't know if there were any hidden spots in RH we should know about!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM

165 posts, read 507,549 times
I can't speak for things to do there, but as far as eating, it's pretty decent. There aren't a lot of chain type restaurants, but a few really good local places. I work near there and we frequent RH for lunch and have several favorite places.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:35 AM

Thanks mrsnespy! I have noticed not many chains, which is fine for us. We love the mom and pop style and the many original stand-alones that we find in this area. Do you have any particular recommendations? Anything would help! Anyone else have any suggestions for anything in RH? Thanks so much for responding!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:52 AM

165 posts, read 507,549 times
We like Plums (sandwich/deli and ice cream), What's the Scoop (similar to plums, but more "upscale" menu although I think Plums is tastier), Molly McPherson's (a branch off the one downtown-pub/grill), Cafe 606 (great atmosphere and food), as well as Shinto's (cheap, but tasty Japanese), and Upper Crust (pizza and subs). There is another pizza/sub place called Gianni's that isn't bad, although we like Upper Crust better. And there is a new Mexican restaurant going in the place of an old one. I can't remember the name of the new place, but a friend of mine knows the owner, who owns another restaurant of the same name in Savannah, and she thinks it is good.

Let me know if I need to point you in the direction of any of them.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 AM

Wow! Thank you for the great info! When we get down there in a couple of weeks, I'll definitely have to get the locations of these, unless I can google them. We look forward to giving them all a try and getting to know that area more. I'm sure we'll still frequent Savannah, and Pooler (since we both work up this way), but we'll definitely want things that are close.

Thanks again!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:00 PM

782 posts, read 1,356,114 times
there's also a restaurant called Southern Image on Hwy 17 that has either menu or daily buffet that's pretty good if you like home style southern cooking. nice quiet homely clean family atmosphere. Asia Asian restaurant is really good, reasonably priced chineese food in the new shopping plaza on Hwy 144 west of Hwy 17.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:13 AM

Thanks so much outdoorman! Well, w'ere withing two weeks of moving there, so I know that while unpacking we'll need to grab a bite somewhere! Thanks for the help - and can't wait to try these places out!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 AM

8 posts, read 18,421 times
RH is a really nice area! If you are a pizza lover the BEST pizza is Mr. Pizza on 144! it is the best I have ever had! Also Loves Seafood isnt to bad and its on the water! there are a few other restaurants in the area that are decent! Steamers is pretty good, there are 3 bars that are nice. Jukebox, Glaziers, and the other i cant remember the name! As far as living! you should definatly check out Waterford Landing! they have it all there! you can live in a condo/townhome, single family home up into the million dollar ho mes! it has a variety to choose from! it also has a golf course, boat dock in the community, boat storage, club house and pool and basketball area as well! its a really nice neighborhood and righ ton the water! houses arent that badly priced there either! If you google waterford landing you will find info and pics on it Also for neighborhoods, Buckhead is really nice it has a little bit of everything as well.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:37 AM

dleggs15 - Thanks for the info! We actually have a place to live off of 144 - very nice community that is very new, so we're set there! In fact it seems to offer a lot of the things you mentioned that Waterford has. We'll actually be across from the golf course I believe? Hmm...I'll have to get familiar with the area, but I do know that it is close by.

Thanks for the pizza tip - I'm SURE we'll be using that tip on moving day next week. Hubby loves pizza, and I enjoy it, so that is usually a quick and easy dinner while moving!

Thank you for the tips! If you have any more, send them my way!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 PM

7 posts, read 17,653 times
Default richland hill

My daughter will start her residency in Richmond in a few months. Is Richmond Hill a great place for her to find an apartment? She doesn't know anyone in Virginia. Are there other locations that might be better for a single woman?

I just want her to find a safe place with nice restaurants, churches and a commute to the hospital that's less than 20 minutes.

She doesn't do a lot of clubbing so night life isn't important to her.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area