Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 8,791 times

Advertisements

I have wanted to move to Savannah for over 15 years, I currently live in Birmingham, Michigan, yup a snow bird.

Have read blogs about people fearing whether you guys are friendly or not? People either are or aren't, its not north or south related.

My concern is about the neighborhoods to look in. A Real Estate person told me not to bother looking in any areas south of Park east of Price and west of Whitaker.

I was totally depressed at that comment. I mean, the edges of the historic district are not safe?

I guess I need a better definition of safe. Using common sense, don't leave stuff out in your yard or on your dashboard. The crime data isn't much different from what I'm used to.

I'm going to be the first to migrate to Savannah, then get my whole family down there and I have a big family.

Talk to me please someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 AM

55 posts, read 118,592 times
I think you'll enjoy Savannah's mild winters compared to up north!

Common sense definitely comes into play here in Savannah. Some people lack common sense and become victims because they trust that everyone is honest when really people are opportunistic when the right carrot is dangled in front of their face. If you park your vehicle in your driveway with it running and a stack of cash to be deposited in the bank as you head inside to go to the bathroom and check your facebook...you'll probably lose your car and the cash and that's the same no matter where you go. Also, if you leave your fancy iPad on the front seat while bar hopping...that's a gonna be gone too. But if you remove your valuables, lock your doors, leave your windows closed, don't flaunt that pile of cash, and avoid some "rough" areas after night (and if you go out, pleeeeeease be polite) you'll do just fine. Us midwesterners are a friendly sort and people will recognize that and usually treat you pretty well--might giggle and call you a yankee behind your back. But for goodness sake - don't forget common sense!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:18 AM

43 posts, read 80,184 times
Not to dissuade you, but PLEASE have a job when you come here. My husband's career has really suffered in the Savannah market because he's not a "good ole boy" or otherwise connected. He, too, is a Midwesterner. If you are transferring down with Gulfstream or another major company, you are in a much different place. Make sure your spouse or significant other brings a job with them; the job market here is very difficult to break into, and the pay is rather lousy.

If you are retired, you'll love it.

Sorry to be so blunt, but wish someone had told us.

By the way, we are moving soon away for better opportunities.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:32 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
Your real estate agent is looking for a sale, that's all.

Savannah spreads out over 70 square miles. Trying to confine yourself to just the historic district is not in your best interests.

My husband's family has been here since the 1940s. My mother's family came in 1927. As far as I know, no one in either family has been involved in a crime. But we did have a brand new lawn taken from our yard the day after we bought it.

And of course, locals are usually hired before outsiders. If you were looking to hire someone, who would you pick....the home boy that had roots in the community and would probably stick around for years... or the person that is from another place and may decide at anytime that Savannah isn't what he or she wanted? That's not because he's a "good old boy," it's just a sensible hiring practice.

But I agree 100%. If you are going to need employment, make sure that you have it before you make the change.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 AM

74 posts, read 289,169 times
You should look at the crime reports to see the facts. I'm in my 40s and have lived here all of my life other than college and one year in Atlanta. It sounds like your agent is giving you good advice for the downtown area. Of course, there are other areas in Savannah to live, but it sounds like you want that area. Just find the facts for any property before you buy.

I've lived both downtown and in Ardsley Park (the numbered streets south of Victory Drive, basically) as have most of my friends and their families, and we've all had a lot of crime and theft. Everyone I know has. But you have to remember that nice areas are always just a hop, skip and a jump away from areas that are not and are unsafe. It's really easy for anyone to walk or drive by your home in those areas at any time, and that should be expected.

As much as I love the homes in those areas I no longer consider living there. Here are some crimes my friends and family have experienced in those areas: A LOT of break-in of cars (NEVER leave even so much as an empty box in your car because they will assume there is something in it and break in even for nothing), hold-up and theft downtown, early evening (around 6:00) hold-up and attack while taking a walk in Ardsley Park, bike theft from owner's back door, trash can stolen while owner watched (thief just smirked and walked away; what was she going to do, attack him?), large, VERY heavy potted trees stolen from front door during the day (owner replaced them and chained them to front railing to prevent future theft), toddler picked-up gun in front yard in Ardsley Park (anyone can and will drive through at any time and probably just tossed a gun they'd used in a crime), and so on...

I SWORE when I was young that I'd never live in the suburbs, but just don't want to deal with the crime downtown or in Ardsley Park anymore. If you move to Ardsley and every family member has a space in a garage (not all homes there have them) then you might be okay. It depends on your comfort level.

I would not assume that every little theft in that area has been reported to the police. If I lived there again and had something small stolen from my yard (even an inexpensive bike) I probably wouldn't take the time to report it. I'd just think it would be expected in those areas and wouldn't bother. So, if you want to live somewhere you can leave a bag of groceries on your car while you make one trip into the house without someone walking by and taking it then you probably don't want to live there. If you're fine with ensuring you never leave anything anyone would want out for even a short period of time then you might like it. And that's not sarcasm, even if it reads that way. I think it really is about individual comfort levels.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:02 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,612,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddancer View Post
I have wanted to move to Savannah for over 15 years, I currently live in Birmingham, Michigan, yup a snow bird.

Have read blogs about people fearing whether you guys are friendly or not? People either are or aren't, its not north or south related.

My concern is about the neighborhoods to look in. A Real Estate person told me not to bother looking in any areas south of Park east of Price and west of Whitaker.

I was totally depressed at that comment. I mean, the edges of the historic district are not safe?

I guess I need a better definition of safe. Using common sense, don't leave stuff out in your yard or on your dashboard. The crime data isn't much different from what I'm used to.

I'm going to be the first to migrate to Savannah, then get my whole family down there and I have a big family.

Talk to me please someone.

Think of some of these streets as "eight mile" and you'll get the picture.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,473 times
I have a very good perspective for you. I grew up in southfield and was transferred feb 10 to savannah. I then got transferred to indy in july 10. Rent a apartment in pooler first. Get to know the area. I loved savannah but schools were a big reason i took transfer to indy area. Savannah area schools are a weak point. I too moved before my family. There are no schools compareable to birmingham michigan in savannah. Do you have a job set? Why savannah?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:57 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,473 times
Pm me if you have any questions

Old 06-01-2011, 07:58 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,979,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Think of some of these streets as "eight mile" and you'll get the picture.
Give me a break.. Also, I wish one of the moderators would do a sticky on "Moving to Savannah". I get sick of typing the same thing over and over again about the exact same subject. We probably have 75% of Savannah's threads dedicated to the EXACT SAME SUBJECT! This is kinda annoying.

I copied and pasted my response to the exact same subject on a different thread that isn't even on page 2 yet. Sheesh!

Its funny to me to hear some people talk about crime in Savannah. Sure, there is crime, we're no Mayberry by any means. For those who truly know Savannah, we know that there are certain (bad) areas of town that are mixed in with the good. Would those certain areas make me think that crime is bad all over town? Certainly not. Especially not in the Historic District where most tourists tend to focus their attention on.
Would I say that you have no chance of being mugged in Savannah? Of course not! You have that chance anywhere. Whether you're in West Savannah, Pooler, Liberty City, or Tybee Island.
Personally, I feel safe at night when I was walking Forsyth Park or down Broughton Street. Heck, I used to ride my bicycle down the numbered streets parallel to Victory back and fourth from Wilmington Island day and night. I was fine.

Of course, that was my experience. It was and has been a positive one. Others may or may not have my same experience. Savannah is too beautiful a place to not consider because a few people on a forum had a negative experience. Just use common sense when you're out on the town & enjoy yourselves!

BTW, off the top of my head, I can think of more good areas of town than bad, but that's just me.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 AM

74 posts, read 289,169 times
WanderingImport, I think that the issue in many of these threads is not about whether or not there are nice, safe areas in Savannah at all, but about the historic district. The OP is about the edges of the historic district.

I've lived all over Savannah for almost half a century, and to the best of my recollection we had only one theft (bike), and no hold-ups or violence, anywhere other than downtown or Ardsley Park. Only in town have we encountered these problems. And these were in/at very nice homes (e.g. Abercorn to Bull), not "bad" areas except for the fact that just a block over it IS a very bad area. It's the easy access these areas afford criminals that is the problem.

For many people who want to know about Savannah they want to know about those areas, the Savannah they read about or see in films. Those are very valid concerns. Some people don't want to have to be as vigilent about crime as you have to be in those areas, and that's fine for them just as it's fine for those who don't mind being more vigilent to live in areas requiring it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area