Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:35 PM

175 posts, read 421,632 times

Advertisements

Anyone else in ranch home on a concrete slab have spots that feel damp? Is this normal for a humid area? The rooms on the north facing side of my house always have damp feeling carpet, and since the heat kicked in it smells musty. I don't know if I have a problem in my foundation, (No trees close to damage with roots) or if this is normal for an area that has so much moisture in the air. I also noticed the concrete on my porch (North facing also part of the foundation) always looks a little damp close to the exterior wall, as compared to the same slab a few feet out towards the sun hit places. Just want to know so I don't waste money on a pro if this is the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Nope. I have a ranch on brick slab and no moisture problems. It's only the garage on that end of the house, though.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:05 PM

55 posts, read 118,552 times
Your a/c unit should be removing any excess moisture from the air this time of year. If your home smells musty and carpet actually feels damp I'd call your insurance agent and ask them their opinion. Chances are they'll refer you to either a license contractor or plumber for an inspection. You might have a slab leak which happens ALL THE TIME here. You don't want to wait until water is actually pouring so call now. Warning: most insurance policies don't cover the actual leak and repair, but do cover any damages to your personal property during the leak/repair (your carpet will be covered but not to repair the hole in the floor the contractor had to make to get to the leak). Good luck!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:38 PM

On no

Old 06-02-2011, 02:01 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
A lot depends on where the water table is in your area. I lived in a slab foundation rance once in an area that was very low. Even a small hole in the garden filed quickly with water. And YES, we had a mold problem.

But it could be that your house was built without the proper water proofing under the slab. You could have some seepage.

Slab houses in some areas here was not a really good idea.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:46 PM

well we peeled the carpet back and their is water coming up from the slab. After crying and going over fiances I know I am boned. Anyone know any good plumbers? And anyone know anyplace hiring for nights and weekends so I can help my family with this surprise.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 PM

Oh, its from a pipe also, my dirt is usually on the dry side (I dig and garden alot so am familiar with it) And recall it being warm and moist in the winter when we moved here, wish I knew about this before my kids were crawling all over it.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:05 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Sorry, kiddo. That really stinks.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:18 AM

55 posts, read 118,552 times
We LOVE Bill Grotheer Construction in Savannah. They can do the demo, plumbing, repair and clean up and they're reasonable. Awesome guys. They'll be more than willing to come out today and do an estimate and probably start work. Sorry! Cato on Wilmington Island is hiring nights and weekends.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:28 PM

Thanks guys. Today has been awful. Insurance sent out a plumber, after testing for an hour, and 100$ later, he says "I am stumped, never seen anything like this before, its not a slab leak, but I honestly have never seen this" Then the head of the insurance branch came over and started snapping pics with the same "I have never seen this before, how is it doing that" Then city of Savannah came out, "If you have a broken swear line, the die will show it in your slab within a few days. Again, your problem, insurance wont cover. wonder what roto rooter will say. I just want to scream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area