Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 05:59 PM

45 posts, read 257,520 times

Advertisements

i am wondering if anyone has had experience with hauntings or ghosts in savannah. i've been hearing a lot about this town and the spirits (not the kind you drink, either). anybody care to share your experiences or do you think its just kinda dreamed up for the tourist dollar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 06:06 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Savannah is supposed to the the most haunted place in the USA. I don't know if it's true, but several books have been written about our eerie friends. They seem to date back to waaaayyy before we started having tourists.

check out this site for a couple of stores about certain houses.
Hauntings Tour - See America's Most Haunted City

Old 08-28-2007, 09:56 PM

7 posts, read 38,013 times
I use to live in Savannah and i had something weird happen to me on Halloween night 2002.I was walking though Oglethorpe square and a guy came up to me and asked me for pennies.I said i didn't have any change and kept on walking and i thought it was weird that someone would ask for pennies.I took about 3 steps and turned around and there was nobody there.It was right in the middle of the square,no bushes around or trees.I walked around the square about 2 times and couldn't find the guy.Oglethorpe is the closest square to colonial cemetery on abercorn it is sort of erie when i think about it.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:31 AM

45 posts, read 257,520 times
its strange..i was really debating between moving to new orleans and savannah for a while, and a very sweet, dear old friend who also claims to be a medium shook her head when she heard my dilemma. "honey", she said, "why you wanna live in those cities of dead folk? they never leave you alone." she also went on to talk about st. augustine, and said that the three towns are "special" in the number and activity level of the spirit world. she said she thought it was because of the slave trade that there is a lot of unrest, but didn't really know for sure. all i can say is that there is definitley a strange energy to this place (and new orleans as well). and i have found more people here that believe in ghosts than i ever expected.

keep the stories coming!

Old 08-30-2007, 01:34 AM

371 posts, read 1,555,078 times
I had a strange experience in Savannah once many years ago, my memory of the previous night was completely erased, I woke up the following morning with a bad headache and all the cash in my wallet had eerily disappeared, do you think this could have been spirit related?

Old 09-05-2007, 06:36 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,410 times
We just got back from a trip to Ft Lauderdale with a stop in Savannah. WOW - what a beautiful city!!! I loved it! While we were there we did a ghost tour. The guide explained that much of historic Savannah used to be a burial ground. You are probably standing on old graves as you walk on the sidewalks around town. Apparently many people dig up bones in their yards while doing yard work. True or not...??? However, that probably explains why there are so many sightings around town.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:01 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Stacy, remember that Savannah dates back to 1733. The city was surrounded by farms. Farms usually had family burial plots on them. This happens in all old cities. Bones from wayyyy back get dug up. The Colonial Cemetary was started quite early in colonial times as a burial place for Savannah's citizens. People also just wandered off into the woods and died too. There was a lot of malaria and other fevers that killed off a lot of the early settlers.

There is no doubt that there are eerie things that are about. Why? We'll never know! It's sort of fun not knowing. Imagination is wonderful!

Old 09-06-2007, 03:36 PM

27 posts, read 122,037 times
Savannah and ghosts..definitely! Don't miss the Pirates house. Go downstairs and if you have anything of a sixth sense you will find out. Then go upstairs and see if you can hear the laughter- the woman who plays the piano! Has anyone else see her?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lululoo View Post
i am wondering if anyone has had experience with hauntings or ghosts in savannah. i've been hearing a lot about this town and the spirits (not the kind you drink, either). anybody care to share your experiences or do you think its just kinda dreamed up for the tourist dollar?
I think it has to do with that the city was pirate city maybe and/or it has something to do with hauntings from the civil war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area