Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 AM

12 posts, read 57,797 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the info. As for race relations; I've grown up In Wilmington,NC & Charleston, SC.............We are familiar with everyone's point of view; lets move on.

As far as arts programs go, the only thing that would be a major plus is music. Not saying Fine arts aren't important, we are just looking for more Math and Science.

Bellhead was correct in our budget range of 250k-400k. My only issue with Richmond Hill was primarily the lack of Stuff and the Drive out of Savannah. I haven't had much experience with Rincon/Guyton area. Anyone know the average drive times from Ricon to HAAF/ Richmond Hill to HAAF? Driving would most likely take place to affect 9:00am arrival at HAAF. Sometimes I will be working a swing shift ie 1:00pm-9:00pm.

At the end of the day I'm looking for a place that I can raise my kids, in a nice neighborhood with other children and families, good schools, lower taxes, cheaper real estate, a grocery store , and a reasonable commute to Hunter AAF. (ie < 45min)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
I think Bellhead's recommendations are spot on.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
I think you'd be happiest somewhere on the islands.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
To me, the Drive back and forth to work makes a lot of difference. Forget about the traffic for a while and think about the scenery.

Would you rather see flowers, trees, marshland, etc ? Then Wilmington Island would be the one for you. I always enjoy the view from the road and the tops of the bridges.

The ride to Richmond Hill would get old and boring very quickly depending on where I lived. Nope! let me stay on the Islands.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:56 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrking View Post
Thanks for all the info. As for race relations; I've grown up In Wilmington,NC & Charleston, SC.............We are familiar with everyone's point of view; lets move on.

As far as arts programs go, the only thing that would be a major plus is music. Not saying Fine arts aren't important, we are just looking for more Math and Science.

Bellhead was correct in our budget range of 250k-400k. My only issue with Richmond Hill was primarily the lack of Stuff and the Drive out of Savannah. I haven't had much experience with Rincon/Guyton area. Anyone know the average drive times from Ricon to HAAF/ Richmond Hill to HAAF? Driving would most likely take place to affect 9:00am arrival at HAAF. Sometimes I will be working a swing shift ie 1:00pm-9:00pm.

At the end of the day I'm looking for a place that I can raise my kids, in a nice neighborhood with other children and families, good schools, lower taxes, cheaper real estate, a grocery store , and a reasonable commute to Hunter AAF. (ie < 45min)
You are looking at 30 to 45 minutes off rush hour depending on subdivision. Rush hour will add 10 minutes plus add in weather. As you'll be going down 95 to 16 which is about 15 miles, then add 21 to Rincon which is a divided highway with lights...

Old 02-21-2012, 11:47 PM

What about Wilmington island to HAAF drive times? Just not digging 45 min drive! Thanks for all the help!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
I don't make this drive but know several people who do and it can be 30 to 45 minutes. Only one way on and off the islands, majority of the people commute to Savannah via this corridor. Another reason is you are going to hit between 5 to 15 lights on your commute as the lights in this City are administered by the three stooges who cannot time traffic lights. It's stop and go.

Check out Coffee Bluff, we are only 5 to 8 minutes from Hunter, boat dock, the main retail area in Savannah is right by Hunter also.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:09 AM

thanks guys I really appreciate it....Excited to get back to the east coast!!! I can't take any more rainy, cloudy, grey days!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:53 AM

53 posts, read 154,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrking View Post
We moved to Richmond Hill in conjunction with a military move. It has the best schools in the area and retains a small town feel. All of our kids went to the RH schools and two are in college and one graduated with a great education from the RH schools (2nd grade to graduation). Traffic to and from Hunter is a bit of a pain but worth it for the location of the home, abundance of nice neighborhoods, and basic needs. Most of the time you can be in downtown Sav in 30min or less depending on where you live in South Bryan County. We live outside the city limits of RH proper and love it. RH and South Bryan has been improving exponentially every few years and it was rated as one of the best places to move by a major magazine in the last few years. Don't count it out.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,885 times
Not sure if your still looking, but if so. We moved to Richmond Hill 5 years ago and aside from the knats trying to carry you off, we love it here. We live out in the Jerico subdivision. Most acre homesites with a pond in the middle. Lots of kids here and a few homes for sale or rent. There is a brand new junior high school being built, literally, 2 minutes for the subdivision. There is a perfect house on Moonlight Crt for sale that would be perfect for kids. Sits on an acre and a half and it sits almost by itself. Big long driveway for bikes or scooters and a huge jungle gym built out back for kids complete with zip line. My husband works at HAAF and doesn't mind the drive at all and we frequently go into Savannah on weekends just to hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area