Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:21 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Doubt it. The newer buildings (RAC, Education, IT, Chemistry), and the new Biology building that is currently under construction are all on the south end of campus. If GSU ever needs more land to expand, I'm 95% sure they will expand towards the south.
Exactly my point. Its a shame that such a beautiful town can't have the leadership with foresight to see where they are going. Sigh. Just another Pooler (with the exception of a few blocks of beautiful downtown).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 05:22 PM

8,073 posts, read 4,747,652 times
The huge master plan they came up with back when I attended was certainly ambitious and (to me at least) well-thought-out, but one thing that I saw even then was that the university did not want to "cross the roads" so to speak--that being Fair Road and 301. So perhaps those roads are "artificial" barriers they chose to observe. They must not have wanted the campus to become too fractured and spread out like SCAD in Savannah, since everythng tends to stay in that main area (even the stadium, which was built in "the hinterland" back in the day but is now in the middle of everything). That land between the old campus nucleus and the bypass was donated (or maybe sold at a very low price?) to the university, so I don't blame them for expanding in that direction with the RAC and all the other buildings there, rather than trying to buy up small parcels along Fair Road and having to do demolition, etc. in order to build new buildings across the street from the old nucleus of the college.

I have not been there in ages, but I do recall being very impressed with how they revamped the whole area of what was once Windsor Village and made it a lot more productive than it had been. I always preferred they keep the campus headquartered around the old campus nucleus, but that was a self-serving wish since I had to ride a bike everywhere and only ten minutes between classes.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:49 PM

52 posts, read 69,714 times
Smile Growth/GSU-Statesboro Relationship

A lot of points are on the mark here.

Statesboro, and Bulloch by extension, are indeed growing at a pretty good clip. Though, as pointed out, almost exclusively as a result of Georgia Southern University.

The good news: Students are scattering a bit more. New apartment complexes are constantly being built off-campus. The school also has ambitious plans to increase notoriety by growing its football program ( a move to the NCAA's upper-most tier) and attract even more students.

The City of Statesboro and Georgia Southern have partnered to create "City Campus." A downtown location that features a GSU Shop, Entrepreneurial Center and research center.

A couple of frat/sorority houses are scattered around town and more sidewalks are on the way, notably Gentilly.

Some in the city are hoping to build an amphitheater/park downtown and there's a very early effort to get a skate park in the city.

If only GSU would include a Downtown route for its shuttle system.

I think the revitalization of the city's black eye (South Main) would go a long way. Students would be willing walk or ride downtown if that corridor were nicer.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:54 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot_always View Post
A lot of points are on the mark here.

Statesboro, and Bulloch by extension, are indeed growing at a pretty good clip. Though, as pointed out, almost exclusively as a result of Georgia Southern University.

The good news: Students are scattering a bit more. New apartment complexes are constantly being built off-campus. The school also has ambitious plans to increase notoriety by growing its football program ( a move to the NCAA's upper-most tier) and attract even more students.

The City of Statesboro and Georgia Southern have partnered to create "City Campus." A downtown location that features a GSU Shop, Entrepreneurial Center and research center.

A couple of frat/sorority houses are scattered around town and more sidewalks are on the way, notably Gentilly.

Some in the city are hoping to build an amphitheater/park downtown and there's a very early effort to get a skate park in the city.

If only GSU would include a Downtown route for its shuttle system.

I think the revitalization of the city's black eye (South Main) would go a long way. Students would be willing walk or ride downtown if that corridor were nicer.
Hell yes! I've made numerous comments about this to my family and friends and did not know it was already in the planning process. A Gentilly sidewalk from 67 to Brannen St. would make that new bike path much more usable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area