Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 05:47 PM

8 posts, read 15,890 times

Advertisements

I'm not looking for biased opinions of my lifestyle or your hatred for the Savannah area...just some friendly locals' thoughts on things

My partner (21) and I (22) are looking to move to Savannah this late summer/early fall. We have a 6 year old son. We both just graduated and are applying for teaching positions. I know several people have commented on the schools, but we've researched and we're not too concerned with that aspect for us or our son.

Here's the thing...being that we are young and have a son we want a good area for us and him. Since we are not a "traditional" family, are there areas of Savannah you would recommend for us?

She and I are looking to visit at the end of the month. Are there any spots we should check out on our visit?

Thanks is advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 06:19 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,200,619 times
Before anyone can help you with an area, we would need to know about what you could afford to spend for housing every month. Willl you rent or buy?

Old 05-12-2012, 06:51 PM

We will be renting when we first move down. We're thinking we would prefer to stay between $750-$850 but can do $1000 per month for rent. We're just concerned with where the best neighborhood dynamics will be for us mostly.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:50 PM

That's not going to get you much in Savannah. The neighborhoods will not be "the best" Maybe about middle to lower class neighborhoods.

Try for an apartment complex for the first rental. I am sure there is a site that will give you the names of many of them. See what would suit and then get back and ask about the ones that you have found.

Good Luck!! Our School system is like a lot of others across the country. There has been major cost cutting done. Contact the Savannah-Chatham County BOE for available openings. Also, the are several private schools that might be hiring. A lot will depend on your specialty.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:10 PM

Unfortunately we've settled on the fact that we'll have to do an apartment at first. I'll do some research and see what I can find.

As far as the schools, we're both applying elementary. And we know there will be open positions for next year. We're meeting with some principals at the end of the month. So hoping that helps.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:58 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,951,889 times
I'm guessing you are a lesbian couple? If not, I apologize. But if so, I think you'll find Savannah am incredibly accommodating community. There'si very much a "live and let live" attitude among the people here: nobody really cares much about your personal life. Just as an an example, I spent much of tonight hanging out with a fellow from Santa Monica, CA who was in town working on a movie shoot. He was amazed - OVERWHELMED! -- by the energy and openess of the people on the streets of historic Downtown Savannah. This from a guy born and raised and employed by the entertainment industry in Los Angeles! Savannah is a remarkable city -- I don't think you'll have any ptoblem feeling right at home here.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 AM

Yes, we're a lesbian couple. From what I've seen/heard/read, we'll be fine in the downtown area. What about other areas? We found one apartment we know we're going to visit on our trip this month. It's a 3b/2ba for $1050 a month. It's on Whitemarsh Island. How will we fair here? What's the area like?

Old 05-13-2012, 12:55 PM

Whitemarsh Island is a great place. It's not as big as Wilmington (the next one to the east) and most of the shopping, etc is on Wilmington. The areas elementary schools would be close by, so that if you could get on one of them, you would have a good thing going for you.

Your son would go to school on the Islands and he would have many playmates. If you lived in the downtown areas, he would not be as fortunate. It's really not the place for young children. Too much concrete sidewalks and not enough play space.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,951,889 times
Whitemarsh Island is an excellent choice. The new Islands High School cluster is actually on Whitemarsh, though most of the better shopping, restaurants, neighborhoods, etc are on adjacent Wilmington Island (where I live). The two are pretty seamless though; not islands in the traditional sense. You'll see when you come look around. Halfway between downtown and the beach. Very family oriented, buy with quite a few singles / gay people as well. Especially in my neighborhood on Wilmington, where I've got gay male friends raising a teenage son. You won't be alone, not by a longshot.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:59 PM

Yea, we're not planning on living downtown. We've found a few more apartments we like. I know one was in Pooler near the airport. And one was a little south west (west of Georgetown) close to I95. What are these areas like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: