Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 6,547 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move from Acworth to Savannah. I have 3 children, 11, 5 and 6 months. I am self-employed and am hoping to open a small boutique later on. Just need some insight on the city. How are the schools? How much apartments run for? Is there any similarities between Acworth and Savannah? Any other information would be great!! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 01:01 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
Don't know where Acworth is but am assuming it's part of the blob they call Atlanta.

Please read our official relocation thread at the top of the main page. Plenty of other threads about schools if you will take the time to look for them. There are also old threads by other people hoping to start businesses here. In short, read first and refine your questions based on what you've learned.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:35 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Don't know where Acworth is but am assuming it's part of the blob they call Atlanta.

Please read our official relocation thread at the top of the main page. Plenty of other threads about schools if you will take the time to look for them. There are also old threads by other people hoping to start businesses here. In short, read first and refine your questions based on what you've learned.
Good idea! If Acworth is a small north Georgia town, then about the only thing that would be alike is that both of the cities are in Georgia.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

Okay, please allow me to clarify. Acworth is located at the top of Cobb County near the Cherokee County line. It is a small town primarily known for its beach and Lake Allatoona. Located about over hour outside of Atlanta. I have researched schools and apartments, however, as we all know in the wonderful world of marketing the highlights are going to be pointed out and nothing negative portrayed. The specific apartments that caught my eye are Alahambra Apartments, Kessler Point Apartments, Ridgewood Apartments and Wyndmere Apartments. I'm looking for a 3 bedroom apartment under $900 per month in a decent part of Savannah and preferably on the bus line CAT. I am just looking for some non-sarcastic information for people that know the area and can provide me with any tips on decent areas to raise kids in, how the schools are, how the bus system is, etc... Thank you.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
Sorry, wasn't trying to be sarcastic, just honest. That section of Georgia is very different from Savannah.

Savannah is a not a big city. It can't grow. It is bordered by rivers, and small towns, but the Chatham County/savannah metro area is much larger and spread out.

Two of the apartment complexes you mentioned are in Garden City. The Children would be going to the Garden City Schools. The other two are in vastly different areas. I think the Alhambra would place your kids in the Thunderbolt Ga. School District. Rumor has it that this school might be closing soon.

The schools that your children would go to would depend on how the district lines are drawn this year. They could be good and within walking distance or terrible with long bus rides. It would depend. Call the management of the apartments that interest you and ask them.

The public bus system is not the best. You really would need a car. None of the apartments that you mention are near a supermarket.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:04 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
Okay, back yourself up and figure out where the good schools are first. I glanced at the locations of all of those complexes and am pretty sure most are in below average school districts.

Make yourself a chart. One should be for good schools. The second should be safe, affordable housing. There are fewer bus routes in areas that have good schools. You understand? I'm not being sarcastic. You'd be doing yourself a favor to get a car before moving here.

Print out a series of maps. Start with this one: Savannah public school ratings and district information - NeighborhoodScout

Make a google or bing map and mark down all of the locations of the complexes you are interested in. Their addresses are included here: Communities ‹ Apartment Savannah

Do the same thing with the bus route map, too.
Maps & Schedules

Old 06-03-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Sorry, wasn't trying to be sarcastic, just honest. That section of Georgia is very different from Savannah.

Savannah is a not a big city. It can't grow. It is bordered by rivers, and small towns, but the Chatham County/savannah metro area is much larger and spread out.

Two of the apartment complexes you mentioned are in Garden City. The Children would be going to the Garden City Schools. The other two are in vastly different areas. I think the Alhambra would place your kids in the Thunderbolt Ga. School District. Rumor has it that this school might be closing soon.

The schools that your children would go to would depend on how the district lines are drawn this year. They could be good and within walking distance or terrible with long bus rides. It would depend. Call the management of the apartments that interest you and ask them.

The public bus system is not the best. You really would need a car. None of the apartments that you mention are near a supermarket.
Okay, got it. I'm definitely working on getting a car before moving there and I'm actually planning quite a few trips out there before I make my final move to get a feel for everything. Just wanted to pinpoint a starting point. I will definitely be looking more into the schools because that is definitely far more important. Thanks ellie for your pointers as well, that is very helpful and will definitely do the chart. Thanks again and if you hear of any good schools or apartments or helpful information please let me know. Thanks again!!!

Old 06-09-2012, 09:30 AM

40 posts, read 153,889 times
I have lived in Acworth and the Savannah area. My children went to school in Acworth. Savannah places 4 out of 10 for test results. Here is another link Top Ranking Cities in Georgia That Have the Best Elementary Schools | LocalSchoolDirectory.com.

There are really no similarities between these two cities. Acworth has more of the 4 seasons- Savannah does not. The traffic isn't as bad here. Acworth schools have ranked much better then Savannah. I have read that alot of people put their children in private schools around here. In less you live in the heart of Savannah you will definitely need a car. There is not much of anything in the Garden City area that was mentioned. I haven't found an apt. for under $900 that has 3 bedrooms. Just be careful about the area. The crime is high here for the population. You may be able to find an apt. in Port Wentworth or maybe Rincon for your budget but please keep in mind that these towns are repressed and you honestly may not fit in. If your decision is going to be primarily based on schools, you will do better with the Cobb County school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area