Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:41 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

I was over there yesterday and the entire store has been fenced off, as if a major renovation project is about to get underway. About time, since that store has clearly NOT been updated since the 1970s. But WHY OH WHY would they start such a thing right before the Christmas shopping season?! DUMB!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 03:22 PM

643 posts, read 846,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I was over there yesterday and the entire store has been fenced off, as if a major renovation project is about to get underway. About time, since that store has clearly NOT been updated since the 1970s. But WHY OH WHY would they start such a thing right before the Christmas shopping season?! DUMB!
It might onyl take them a few weeks to be honest.

They're probably going to unveil it at Black Friday.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:12 PM

779 posts, read 973,058 times
Remember K-Mart went bankrupt, emerged from bankrupty and then bought out Sears. There is no telling the logic behind this.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
It might onyl take them a few weeks to be honest.

They're probably going to unveil it at Black Friday.
Dude ... Black Friday is in TWO WEEKS!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Dude ... Black Friday is in TWO WEEKS!
Could work round the clock?

Maybe they're re-arranging their store for Black Friday, did you hear machines in there doing construction?

Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
Could work round the clock?

Maybe they're re-arranging their store for Black Friday, did you hear machines in there doing construction?
This was the outside of the store like they're gonna redo the exterior or expand.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:03 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Kind of like, we went to the Pooler Publix on Saturday late afternoon. We usually go in the morning. The parking lot was at capacity and you could barely get down the aisles because the stockers chose then to unload stuff onto the shelves. How about they do it when everyone in town isn't trying to shop?

Old 11-11-2012, 06:23 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,746,263 times
This might not be the case, but I can theorize one reason why they were doing that: the truck that typically shows up very early or very late with those pallets of merchandise may have arrived mid-day. Supermarket architects intentionally make the back rooms tiny to discourage the employees from having lots of crap sitting around in back. If the truck unloaded mid-day, then the stuff had nowhere to go but to the sales floor. I know from experience that it happens a lot during the holidays, and trust me when I say we do NOT enjoy having to unload it in the crowded aisles any more than patrons enjoy having to go around it. A spot that had NO ONE shopping in it for half an hour will suddenly become the most popular spot in town if you are trying to build a display there.

I hope the mess at Sears is a "positive" situation, like a remodeling or replacement of air conditioning or something that is part of their intention to remain open/viable. January is typically when we get those long list of store closures, and KMart and Sears have been systematically shrinking every year.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:25 AM

To be honest I'm stunned we still have a K-Mart in Savannah.

It's location isn't the best, and the store is a dinosaur.

I still miss the old K-Mart/Scotty's/Food Lion combo on Victory Drive that's now Home Depot, Target, Staples respectively.

I just miss it for nostalgic purposes. The shopping center is pretty decent now, sans a few empty booths. THe bowling alley closed, my dad bowled there when he first came to Savannah in the late 70's. Was kind of sad to see it's gone.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:38 AM

8,071 posts, read 4,746,263 times
I knew a lady who worked at that old Victory Drive KMart, and she told me that one of the drawbacks of that location (out of many) was the slope of the parking lot. If it rained enough, the water would go downhill and wash right into the front door. She and the other employees would "sand-bag" with actual sacks of potting soil from the garden department.

Ah, good times.

The Montgomery Cross Road KMart (store and parking lot) is such a huge piece of real estate that I fear some bean counter at the Sears Holdings, Corp. offices might decide to close the store and sell it off just for the land. If they were more financially secure, they could very easily build a newer, nicer KMart in the section of parking lot next to White Bluff Road and tear down the old one. Heck, if they were really trying to think outside the box, they could just build a combination Sears/KMart and the Oglethorpe Mall Sears could close. But most financial types worry that the Sears chain won't even exist within a few years, so who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area